Lets review that stoppage

Hirashin

This is not a profession
Banned
Reaction score
im lazy to search for GIFS and images so feel free to re-watch the last round.
let's review the facts an i will add one opinion(either this is true or false).
1. Colby was wobbled and then it was knocked down 2 times in a row, making the referee to stand on his toes and protect the fighter.
He was taking serious damage and it was dropped left and right.
Usman was still fresh and can unload on Colby.
2. After the last knockdown, Colby had his hands on Usman's thighs and trying to defend from the punches. Usman sprawled and Colby didnt try to get a better position to defend. Instead, he turtled up an covered with his hand.
In a situation where the fighter was wobbled and then dropped twice in under a minute as a ref, you should try and stop the fight to protect him from unessecary damage.

when you add if the ref was previously aware of Colby's injured jaw. He understood that the pain treshold is severally reduced and every punch can cause a serious harm.

to summarise this, i think Colby was done and was praying for the clock to run out.
If the ref didnt stopped the fight, Usman can unload a couple of hard shots form that position.
Colby just covered up and was not intelligently defending himself.

Change my mind.

Agree actually. Colby was done, ref saved him. Even if it went the distance, judges would have had Usman winning a split decision.

Usman landed like 4 Punches to the back of the head.

I honestly thought for a title fight it was a terrible stoppage but colby shouldn't have got caught like that.

The ref did a horrible job. Usman was throwing hammer fists that couldn't break an egg when the fight got waved off.

As mentioned above early stoppage but Usman would have won the decission so it doesn't matter at all!

it was grabbing a leg when it was stopped, he was still going.

Anyone else find it weird that Usman had pretty much the same cardio all fight long?

turtling after being dropped twice and wobbling around definitely isn't a good look to the ref.

The determining factor in a stoppage is when a fighter fails to intelligently defend themselves. Colby grabbed Usman's thigh, sprawled, and had an arm over his head whilst he was changing position.

Regardless of knockdowns, or whichever one was up on the scorecards that was objectively a poor stoppage.

Just imagine the agony Usman could have put corn on the Cobington in with a neck crank like the one khabib put on conor. Would have been the icing on the cake, right up there with mctapper getting shut up against Diaz, Khabib and Mayweather.

He understood that the pain treshold is severally reduced and every punch can cause a serious harm.

i think Colby was done and was praying for the clock to run out.

If the ref didnt stopped the fight, Usman can unload a couple of hard shots form that position.

lol all these are terrible comments.

1 - The ref sensed Colby's pain threshold and stopped it for him. Lol Okay. Awful.
2 - I think Colby was done and waiting for the clock to stop. Yeah, happens a lot. That's not why fights get stopped.
3 - Usman could have landed hard shots. Refs maybe should stop fights before they start.
4 - Colby "covered up" but was not "intelligently" defending himself. If this were true, that would be the only argument necessary.

I think there are some decent arguments. I even said "Colby might be out" when his head went under Usman, and he had that awkward reaction.

But these are all trash points imo. I think the stoppage was still weak. I also think Usman, probably would have found a stoppage shortly after had the ref let it go. Colby was done.

I still think it was a bad stoppage. Do I think Colby was going to pull some miracle and get up and win? Probably not, he was noticeably rocked (dropped twice) and its up in the air if he could have recovered enough to go on. WIth that said though he did seem to be attempting to defend himself by grabbing Usman and attempting to block shots at the same time. Couple it in by the shots Usman was landing were to the back of the head, shoulder and didn't seem to have any KO potential , I think it was just too early to call it .

Just sucks that there's no consistency when it comes to refs and calls which leads to these debates nearly every card.

I thought the stoppage was horrible, and I'm a big Usman fan.
I had the fight 2-2 and Usman definitely would've won the last round though.

im lazy to search for GIFS and images so feel free to re-watch the last round.
let's review the facts an i will add one opinion(either this is true or false).
1. Colby was wobbled and then it was knocked down 2 times in a row, making the referee to stand on his toes and protect the fighter.
He was taking serious damage and it was dropped left and right.
Usman was still fresh and can unload on Colby.
2. After the last knockdown, Colby had his hands on Usman's thighs and trying to defend from the punches. Usman sprawled and Colby didnt try to get a better position to defend. Instead, he turtled up an covered with his hand.
In a situation where the fighter was wobbled and then dropped twice in under a minute as a ref, you should try and stop the fight to protect him from unessecary damage.

when you add if the ref was previously aware of Colby's injured jaw. He understood that the pain treshold is severally reduced and every punch can cause a serious harm.

to summarise this, i think Colby was done and was praying for the clock to run out.

Change my mind.
i want to tell me what you see. Let me show you what you saw by the fight. You had colby that was WW champion of the night. He was training 6 days a week, 5 days a week, with 1 of those days 2 days a week. He was reaching for those grapes but they were already sounding like a violen.

Colby was hurt but why in the fuck didnt Goddard stop Usman from hitting him in the back of the head 3-4 times? all the other shots were blocked by Colbys hands....I think that was BS if there is any fucking time to enforce the no hitting the back of the head rule its when a guy is rocked and on the bottom taking shots...BS fucking stoppage as well. I give credit to Usman for the 5th round as until that moment Colby had the W 3 rds to 1 and was winning the 5th.

Certain things in that fight were fucking BS though...Usman faking a groin strike, Usman faking he was poked in the eye...if you watch the replay the finger went into his left eye but Usman was wincing and covering his right eye....guy is a Koscheck.

Fun fight though, but certain things seemed very sketchy.

Agree actually. Colby was done, ref saved him. Even if it went the distance, judges would have had Usman winning a split decision.
Last round had to be a 10-8 if it wasn't stopped. Even the Colby biased 3-1 judge would score it 10-8 Usman making that a 47-47 card... ie a majority decision win for Usman.

Just nit picking the details. Otherwise I agree. I think it was a good stoppage given the context.

I thought the stoppage was horrible, and I'm a big Usman fan.
I had the fight 2-2 and Usman definitely would've won the last round though.

I'm pretty impartial and also think it was a bad stoppage. A lot of Colby hate is keeping people from being objective IMO. After Colby was knocked down the second time the only damage he took was from illegal shots to the back of the head. Consider that for a moment. The only shots that could land were illegal. I'd say Colby was intelligently defending himself.

Fortunately it didn't change the outcome of the fight. The right guy won.

I agree... but also think that the ref should have let those 2/3 punches be thrown. Colby was done, but the punches were not that hard, partly defended, which makes this stoppage controversial.

Anyone else find it weird that Usman had pretty much the same cardio all fight long?
He didn’t have to wrestle, he was more conservative with his energy and landed the better strikes and worked the shit out of Colby’s body.... Honestly I just watched it and I’m more shocked anyone scored this for Colby....

Back