Colby vs Usman. Where was the wrestling ?

Dacha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Was looking foward to watch the fight,
mainly cause i thought it will be 50% wrestling and 50% stand up.

But it turned out to be boxing match. And you can find better boxing anywhere.

If i knew they would just box, i wouldnt watched the fight.

Two of the most boring fighters in the division put on the best fight of the night "b-b-but the boxing was terrible!"

<DisgustingHHH>

You have 2 wrestlers who knows their opponent is a wrestler. 1 of 2 things happen:

1) we get a awesome or boring chess match that a lot of you would cry about unless some slick sub came early or out of nowhere.

2) Both fighters knowing the other guy is a wrestler, rather than risk that, (both believed they were the better striker for sure), just fucking bang.

For what it's worth, they both were even in terms of Usman having more power (landed more power shots) and Covington having better combos and more volume. It was close in that 5th round, I don't hate the idea of them running it back but prefer Masvidal to get the next shot.

My guess is Colby is probably the better offensive wrestler but Marty is bigger/stronger and has great defensive wrestling, so it would’ve been a bad idea to shoot on him and risk getting stuck underneath.

I still expected Kamaru to push Colby against the fence at some point and initiate some wrestling exchanges from there. Not sure why he didn’t try it.

Of course. Tremendous take

For what it's worth, they both were even in terms of Usman having more power (landed more power shots) and Covington having better combos and more volume. It was close in that 5th round, I don't hate the idea of them running it back but prefer Masvidal to get the next shot.

Same here but probably for a different reason. I want to see Masvidal taken apart by Usman.
I suspect Usman wins a rematch easier than the first fight. He knows he has the power to hurt Covington now and he has the stamina to keep up with him. There's not much Covington can do to stop the body shots and front kicks either and I'm sure they played a part.

DC and Sonnen often talk about how tiring a takedown is.

Even Zahabi talked about it recently.

Maybe both fighters understood that if they shoot for a takedown and get stuffed it leaves them disadvantaged in the stand-up because they're left with less energy to strike.

I wanted to see them grapple just to see who was better in those exchanges, but they both wanted to see who had the best stand up and bang it out. Can’t complain

Same here but probably for a different reason. I want to see Masvidal taken apart by Usman.
I suspect Usman wins a rematch easier than the first fight. He knows he has the power to hurt Covington now and he has the stamina to keep up with him. There's not much Covington can do to stop the body shots and front kicks either and I'm sure they played a part.

100% they played a part. Kind of like leg kicks, it's damage not immediately visable to the naked eye but it catches up. I believe those shots were taking a toll somewhere. I'm not sure how a rematch goes, Usman knows he can hurt him but does that make him wreckless? Does Colby become gun shy because of getting his jaw busted or does he pull out ahead. I'd be down to see part 2 after Masvidal gets his turn.

How are people complaining about that fight? It was awesome

Wrestlers hate being put on their back, so neither risked it. Especially for Colby, his only real path to victory was to outvolume Usman on the feet, and it almost freaking worked. If he shoots and gets put on his back by Usman, I'm not sure he's getting up.

As per Usman's interview, he knew he could take him down with ease but this was personal for him and wanted to knock him out, which he successfully did.

You have 2 wrestlers who knows their opponent is a wrestler. 1 of 2 things happen:

1) we get a awesome or boring chess match that a lot of you would cry about unless some slick sub came early or out of nowhere.

2) Both fighters knowing the other guy is a wrestler, rather than risk that, (both believed they were the better striker for sure), just fucking bang.

Exactly how I saw it

you know they aren’t boxers right? And that other aspects of MMA effect the boxing part of it?

what a tool you are

Two of the most boring fighters in the division put on the best fight of the night "b-b-but the boxing was terrible!"

<DisgustingHHH>
The fight was terrible

Not sure how people are calling it amazing
First 3 rounds they were touching each other literally

How are people complaining about that fight? It was awesome

not enough cage hugging

I wanted at least 20 minutes of wall and stall with them whispering sweet nothing into each others ears

Its ironic that everybody loves it when 2 mma fighters stand and bang the entire fight, yet will still go and slate boxing lol

Back