Need to measure actual arm length, not wingspan

djason1988

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Volkanovski clearly has shorter arms than Holloway, but when they're measuring total wingspan, having a thicker torso comes into play. Doesn't make a difference in punch length though.

It does make a difference since you use your body to pivot when throwing a punch. If all mma fighters threw were arm punches while standing perfectly square, I’d agree.

Yes but fighters don't punch with squared off torso's. They turn their torso into the punch so if you have a wider torso or shoulder span it aids reach.

Exactly, it’s why they started giving arm length instead of wingspan in boxing.

I think Max's reach was measured by the same person who measured Gus's.

When you punch with good technique, wide body/shoulders literally adds reach. Your face is still that far away from the end of your fist

measure from your face to your knuckles :p

It does make a difference since you use your body to pivot when throwing a punch. If all mma fighters threw were arm punches while standing perfectly square, I’d agree.
And yet volkanovski is having to lunge in, and max is able to touch him while retreating. Just saying the reach is obviously skewed

Yes but fighters don't punch with squared off torso's. They turn their torso into the punch so if you have a wider torso or shoulder span it aids reach.

When you punch with good technique, wide body/shoulders literally adds reach. Your face is still that far away from the end of your fist

Knew someone would say that but tbh it doesn’t seem to work that way, arm length trumps wingspan.

To solve this we need to measure wing and arm span. Add it dana

How about arm length x torso / angle of the shoulders x 3

Depends on if you know how to punch or not.

Back