Media Colby Covington: Born From Ruthless Business Practices

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Here's a piece I did on Colby Covington ahead of tonight's fight. I've posted a few of these videos, of this video essay style, on Sherdog in the past, and some people seemed to dig them. So hopefully the same goes.

It's a look at how Colby's persona is a reflection of the UFC's business practices, and why it's not surprising, albeit a bit disheartening, that fighters like him, an obvious talent, feel the need to take the route - whether it's entertaining or not.

Anyways, hope you check it out. And if you do, let us know your thoughts.

We’ve had “heels” in the UFC before: Lesnar, Tito, Sonnen, Koscheck and quasi-heels such as Bisping and Jones. There is nothing new here...

So, why now is there a concern over UFC practices “creating” heels? This is a non-issue.

Yo who’s all wearing their MAGA hats to the bar tonight

We’ve had “heels” in the UFC before: Lesnar, Tito, Sonnen, Koscheck and quasi-heels such as Bisping and Jones. There is nothing new here...

So, why now is there a concern over UFC practices “creating” heels? This is a non-issue.
If you watch the video, not sure if you have or not, I acknowledged it's not some revelation that the UFC like characters. But my take is that guys like Sonnen weren't really backed into a corner to create a persona. None of those guys really were. However, if you look at some of the UFC's business practices around the same time they allegedly threatened to cut Colby (mainly the flyweight - DJ debacle), it paints a stark picture for the roster.

Cliffs..? I can't watch that fool unless he's throwing hands...

I like it. Thoughtful. I wonder if he is not creating a fake persona as much as exaggerating who he is. As he said in an interview, “taking it up to 11”

If you watch the video, not sure if you have or not, I acknowledged it's not some revelation that the UFC like characters. But my take is that guys like Sonnen weren't really backed into a corner to create a persona. None of those guys really were. However, if you look at some of the UFC's business practices around the same time they allegedly threatened to cut Colby (mainly the flyweight - DJ debacle), it paints a stark picture for the roster.
I respectfully disagree. Deep down, any fighter that has to portray a fictional character to earn more money is pressured to do so. I acknowledge some are pressured more earnestly than others.

I personally don't buy the narrative that Colby was going to get cut. I've heard it from him and his coach and thats it. But assuming its true, Colby still chose what "character" to become. He grabbed at the low hanging fruit and decided to appeal to the most base fears and hatreds of the fan base. This was a choice he made to go in this direction.

I enjoy your videos @Thickfreakness and I appreciate you posting them here.

I respectfully disagree. Deep down, any fighter that has to portray a fictional character to earn more money is pressured to do so. I acknowledge some are pressured more earnestly than others.
That's a fair point. Obviously, I have my own opinion. But that's fair.

I knew there was going to be a weird accent, but not that weird.

I personally don't buy the narrative that Colby was going to get cut. I've heard it from him and his coach and thats it. But assuming its true, Colby still chose what "character" to become. He grabbed at the low hanging fruit and decided to appeal to the most base fears and hatreds of the fan base. This was a choice he made to go in this direction.

I enjoy your videos @Thickfreakness and I appreciate you posting them here.
I am curious what those base “fears and hatreds” of his fan base are? All I hear from him is a bunch of pro Trump talking points. Unless you are suggesting those are inherently hateful and fearful. Which says more about your bias than his.

Ordinarily id be annoyed by someone shilling their youtube channel (also youtube is evil), but it a good vid

I like it. Thoughtful. I wonder if he is not creating a fake persona as much as exaggerating who he is. As he said in an interview, “taking it up to 11”

Thank you. You'd have to feel it's a bit of both. I've no doubt that he believes a good chunk of what he says, but then other things, the out of left field things, are probably fabricated.

There's a 20% chance Colby gets so frustrated when he gets 50-44ed that he drops the n-word in his post-fight interview

Back