Will the size difference between Usman vs Covington decide the fight?

sgtpepper

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
They're both great wrestlers, both are not particularly exceptional stand-up strikers and have similar records.

I did notice however that Kamaru is an inch taller and has a four-inch reach advantage but most importantly, I noticed he's significantly more muscular. I do think Usman is a lot bigger than Covington, do you think Usman's size will make the difference in this fight since their skillset is so similar?

Usman is 6’0 190, Covington is 5’11 183 or so. They’re pretty even.

No. Them having the exact same skillset and Usman being significantly more shredded means that Usman is cutting too much weight, and he's gonna gas.

Should be a good fight. If Usman can hang with the cardio, I think he wins. If he can't match Colby's gas tank, then he's in for a rough night.

Not really.

Someones will is getting broken tonight and they're gonna get piss beat out of them. The way this fight looks on paper and physicality I can't see it going any other way.

I don't think so. I think this one comes down to technique. Specifically which one is better at keeping their back off the cage and mat.

Yes especially in the clench or when Colby finds himself under the mass of Usman, watch the Woodley fight and see how Usman tore up Woodley's body in the clench body blows, elbows, shoulder punching, old school foot stomping. Colby in the clench you get holding and a quick elbow on the release when he starts to lose control.

My advice to Colby keep your distance until you know for certain that he's good & tired and then engage body to body contact at own risk...

No, the biggest factor is going to be composure, and Usman seems far more emotional and is likely to lose his and start making mistakes.

Yes especially in the clench or when Colby finds himself under the mass of Usman, watch the Woodley fight and see how Usman tore up Woodley's body in the clench body blows, elbows, shoulder punching, old school foot stomping. Colby in the clench you get holding and a quick elbow on the release when he starts to lose control.

My advice to Colby keep your distance until you know for certain that he's good & tired and then engage body to body contact at own risk...
Clench?

Ya I'm finding it hard to imagine Colby getting over the strength difference but then look what he did to Lawler. Technique beats strength. If Usman can't get Colby down early he's in for a long night

Not really.

Someones will is getting broken tonight and they're gonna get piss beat out of them. The way this fight looks on paper and physicality I can't see it going any other way.
To me its gonna look like gsp vs shields

I noticed he's significantly more muscular. I do think Usman is a lot bigger than Covington, do you think Usman's size will make the difference in this fight since their skillset is so similar?

Usman's muscle mass could be a big liability to his endurance in a 5-round fight with a wrestler like Colby.

Usman's wrestling skills are no joke either, but whichever wrestler gets exhausted first, loses.

another one of these big muscle homoerotic threads
do you think roy nelson cared about kimbo's big muscles?
did cain velasquez care about brawk's big muscles?
did fedor care about his physique impressing you?

I would bet that Usman is substantially stronger, at least in bursts. He's an enormous welterweight and Colby is easily a candidate for a 165lbs division.

After re-watching his fight with Lawler yesterday, I think its fair to say Colby has the overall cleaner striking game. He doesn't have raw punching power but he absolutely is technically solid and mixed things up well. Defense looked just fine too.

I'd say Usman is going to have an advantage is size and physicality. Colby will have an advantage in skill and output.

Perhaps its a pick-em but Usman looked very impressive beating Woodley, he's still improving.

Back