Stephen Thompson gets "Dragon Tail" Kicked

iknowthefuture

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Stephen Thompson made a new video on yt where he shows how to perform this kick to counter sidekicks and described it happening to him in a fight.

Well the vid has been found and it's pretty slick indeed.

A waste of time for MMA fighters to practice this really but end of day some cool Kung Fu style stuff.

"Wheel kick to the legs!"

Very Golbergesque there Joe.

IDK how many times you could pull that off, but the first time would definitely catch the opponent off guard and have him second guessing.

That was some Mortal Kombat shit. Awesome

This is what I watch MMA for. Video game shit! :D
(movie shit too, Lyoto)

3y38Zz6.gif

So they're calling a half-assed sweep kick a dragon tail kick nowdays?

Thought a dragon tail is a kick up high?

Stephen Thompson made a new video on yt where he shows how to perform this kick to counter sidekicks and described it happening to him in a fight.

Well the vid has been found and it's pretty slick indeed.

A waste of time for MMA fighters to practice this really but end of day some cool Kung Fu style stuff.

I was really good at this technique when younger only we threw it going forward rather than spinning around backward. I could land that SWEEP a lot on people trying to kick me.

This was not thrown very well according to our approach. The key is to sweep very low to the ground so that you catch the person ankle and completely take them off of their feet. Its a takedown that hurts.

We practiced sweeping heavy punching bags sitting on the ground to develop the power.

Huge WB fan but that was awesome. I remember watching that live and thinking the same.

In my first traditional Korean Hapkido/Tae Kwon Do inspired martial art we called this a low section sweep... It is such a baller feeling when you knock out someone's support leg on a side or round house kick and they fall right on their ass...

Was hoping this would be my secret weapon in MMA... This ruins everything...

I also realize the risk too reward ratio of this in MMA makes it pointless but it's still looks slick when done right...

IDK how many times you could pull that off, but the first time would definitely catch the opponent off guard and have him second guessing.

I mean if you keep using the same attack even if it continues to be successful the damage will lower with each blow due to the stale moves feature so you always want to be mixing it up. all that matters is it works when you use it and then you move onto other moves likely finishing it off with a smash attack or throw

causes basically no damage and is super hard to pull off. Probably a good reason you hardly ever see it.

Back