Media UFC 245 Free Fight: Max Holloway vs Jose Aldo 2(Debunking the narrative)

Arkham's Notorious Geyser

"Sorry about that"
@red
Reaction score
With UFC 245 being only 3 days away, UFC in typical fashion has released some Free Fights for the Headliners and Champions of the card, one of which is the rematch between Max "Blessed" Holloway and Jose Aldo, in which Jose took the fight on relatively short notice barring Frankie Edgar's unfortunate injury and withdrawal.

This was uploaded a week ago, but I saw it yesterday and wanted to use this an opportunity to touch on and debunk a very annoying narrative surrounding Max Holloway's victories over Jose Aldo, and that is the narrative that JoSe AlDo OuTStRuCk MaX, MaX JuSt hAd GoOd CaRdiO

giphy.gif

Now maybe it's because most of the people on here are lazy and just parrot the same bullshit because they know others will like their comment for it, but after re-watching it, you can see this narrative is CLEARLY far from true.

One thing I will say is that Aldo had a bit of a speed advantage over Max, nothing to insane to the point where he was speed blitzing Max and tagging him at will but more, he was fast on the counter and trying to slip and rip Holloway, and trying to land fast combinations. With that said, he still wasn't out striking Max Holloway at all. In the first round Max still found his Jab and stuck Aldo with it the whole round, you can see going into the second round, he had some swelling under the eye.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In the 2nd round Jose started using more leg kicks and nails Max with a good 5, but that's hardly out striking someone. Outside of those 5 leg kicks he landed, the round was mostly Max pushing the action, leading with the Jab and landing combinations while Aldo looked to counter. Aldo had a good two exchanges in the pocket, but Max was still landing the Jab, and poking the body before ramping it up towards the end of the round. The 6th leg kick Aldo throws Max catches it and that's where Max starts to pour it on for the last minute of the round.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Going into 3rd round, where this Narrative really falls apart is where it shows the stats of Head strikes landed. For those who don't want to bother watching it at 14:30 seconds the stats read 48/196 for Max to Aldo's 33/94. This was with 3 minutes still left in the round WAY before Max started really pouring it on Aldo for the finish and it shows clear as day that Max was ahead just a bit in the striking, and if you saw the second round, you know that towards the end of the round Max was starting to turn it on.

tumblr_p0e4wrDUoP1u2ragso4_250.gif

For those who watched the fight and saw the same thing I did, this thread is probably pointless as you already knew Max wasn't getting out struck, but for those who parroted this bullshit narrative, and want to hold on to it to try and discredit Max's performance over Aldo and discredit his skills, the facts speak for themselves, get fucked. The Best is Blessed Baby.

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure people only said that about the first fight, in which Aldo had a pretty good first round from what I recall.

Think the sentiment regarding the rematch was that Aldo was fighting a losing fight.

Max is just a beast... Props for giving 155 a go, but time to add to his legacy at 145 and rack up more quality names...

Prime Aldo beats Max imo. Max beat an aging/war torn Aldo who already had his 18 fight win streak (2nd most among GOAT candidates) with 9 titles defenses snapped.

Aldo went undefeated for 10 years and arguably won the first 2 rounds in both fights where he hit the ironed chinned Max with bombs.

Prime Max lost to Dustin but he’s still a great fighter. Respect to both champions

Last edited:
It's not only because Holloway cardio, it's also because his chin.
Same thing with Ortega.

I'm pretty sure people only said that about the first fight, in which Aldo had a pretty good first round from what I recall.

Think the sentiment regarding the rematch was that Aldo was fighting a losing fight.

Trust me there are quite a FEW Shertards that parroted that bullshit narrative and said the only way Max won was because he outlasted Aldo.

There's a whole shit thread about Max just having a good chin and gas tank.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...iker-relies-on-his-chin-and-gas-tank.4037029/

Max doesn't get the respect, and it's annoying.

Prime Aldo beats Max imo. Max beat an anging/war torn Aldo who already had his 18 fight win streak (2nd most among GOAT candidates) with 9 titles defenses snapped.

Aldo went undefeated for 10 years and arguably won the first 2 rounds in both fights where he hit the ironed chinned Max with bombs.

Prime Max lost to Dustin but he’s still a great fighter. Respect to both champions

You clearly didn't watch the fight at all, Max stole the second round of the rematch towards the end. Watch the fight dude, it's free and it's in the Thread, Aldo probably won the first but he did not win the second.

Max is the closest thing to perfection on the feet you will ever see in your life and currently the best technician in MMA and top 5 best in MMA history (alongside Aldo, DJ and few others).

56TiaV6.gif

See how Max reacts on Jose's pivot. Max enters in orthodox stance and as Jose changes the angle he follows with a jab and side kick standing southpaw. Seamlessly turning Jose's correct defense to his offense.

Back