Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje

FrontNakedChoke

Reaction score
When Conor vs Cowboy at 170 got announced, I assumed Conor was targeting Nate and Masvidal next.
Now we know that the rematch with Khabib is next (if Conor and Khabib both win).

How can you justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 for a rematch with Khabib at 155?

Conor has managed to skip over the number one contender at 55, and fight the guy he just finished, at a different weight class, to earn a title shot at 55.

I don't think Conor is scared to fight anyone, but there's no way around this.
Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje.

justin-gaethje-conor-mcgregor.jpg

But why?

1) Justin has been ruthless in his trash talk of McGregor.
2) Justin is obviously far more dangerous than Cowboy at this point.
3) Why risk fighting Justin when you can 'earn' a title shot off the ghost of Cowboy?

Discuss.

tenor.gif

This thread is guaranteed to draw the ire from your fellow McGregor fans.. (well former lol).

When Conor vs Cowboy at 170 got announced, I assumed Conor was targeting Nate and Masvidal next.
Now we know that the rematch with Khabib is next (if Conor and Khabib both win).

How can you justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 for a rematch with Khabib at 155?

Conor has managed to skip over the number one contender at 55, and fight the guy he just finished, at a different weight class, to earn a title shot at 55.

But why?

3) Why risk fighting Justin when you can 'earn' a title shot off the ghost of Cowboy?

Discuss.
1. Trash talk doesnt constitute a fight agreement
2. No one is arguing this point.
3. Conor will (hopefully) never fight for the LW title again. Or WW for that matter. Jorges fake belt is perfect for situations like this.

There's no doubt that Conor figured Cowboy was the biggest name and easiest path to get him another title fight. Now Dana has confirmed it.

Why?

1. UFC needed Conor to fight in Jan
2. Conor didn’t want to cut weight.
3. Cowboy is easier.

Conor knew UFC needed him in Jan so he negotiated hard and slow. So an agreement was made, and apparently it included a 155 title shot.

Conor plays the negotiation game well.

But why?

Discuss.

Cowboy is the bigger name & the bigger draw. That fact doesn't change even after Justin's win over Cowboy. I don't blame Conor for taking a safer route to a possible title shot and also for a higher monetary proposition. At the end of the day he has to look after himself.

Anything to protect their cash cow.

That said, watching Khabib pound McGregor into bolivian won’t be the worst way to spend a Saturday evening...

But watching Gaethje do it would be thoroughly good.

But why?
Discuss.

I couldn't agree more. Very sneaky. Cowboy is in deep shit if it goes to the judges

I actually think the Gaethje stylistically is a pretty good matchup for McGregor. Hmm a guy who is GOAT-level at knocking people out with punches vs a guy who loves to get punched in the face.

Really Conor can fight whoever the hell he wants for the most part, so it doesn't surprise me that he'd rather fight a guy with better name value.

Conor hasn't won a fight in years. He's looking for a tune up fight against a mirrored opponent. Donald is a striker at heart and this is Conor's bread and butter too. Donald Cerrone is a fan favorite.

With that being said Conor should not earn a title shot off of Donald.

It’s the same reason he’s not fighting one of 20+ better matchups, to name a few, Masvidal, tony, Nate, Nick. He wanted an easy return fight. He wanted a chance to come back, get the people going, get some momentum etc...
Personally I would rather he just take big fights at this point. But if he’s done anything right in the past, it’s pick his fights, so who am I to say he made the wrong choice

Cowboy is the bigger name & the bigger draw. That fact doesn't change even after Justin's win over Cowboy. I don't blame Conor for taking a safer route to a possible title shot and also for a higher monetary proposition. At the end of the day he has to look after himself.

There's some truth. If the UFC allows this stuff then...
giphy.gif

Yes he avoided gaetje, you feel better now?

It's stupid to call it ducking, but whatever. He's less likely to get injured in a Cowboy fight. It makes for more money. UFC might have preferred it too.

While i do agree he ducked justin, people in here are going to act like justin would murder conor when in fact he's got a style that is an open invitation for conors left hand.

Regardless, I would love to see both conor vs justin or khabib vs justin though.

And apparently we arent getting neither.... so thats kinda sad

Conor hasn't won a fight in years. He's looking for a tune up fight against a mirrored opponent

With that being said Conor should not earn a title shot off of Donald.

Tune up fights should never earn title shots.

It's stupid to call it ducking, but whatever. He's less likely to get injured in a Cowboy fight. It makes for more money. UFC might have preferred it too.

So what do you call it when a fighters opts out of fighting the #1 contender, in order to take the easier fight and get a title shot?

How is that not ducking?

Tune up fights should never earn title shots.

So what do you call it when a fighters opts out of fighting the #1 contender, in order to take the easier fight and get a title shot?

How is that not ducking?

Was he offered Gaethje?

While i do agree he ducked justin, people in here are going to act like justin would murder conor when in fact he's got a style that is an open invitation for conors left hand.

This is what makes it even worse.

Aside from cardio pace and toughness, Justin isn't the worst match up for Conor.
He's a sloppy brawler who leaves himself open to be countered on the feet.

Back