Why isn’t it Aldo/Faber and Moraes/Yan

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This match up would’ve made a lot more sense.

Moraes and Yan are actual contenders in the 135 division and are at the peak of their careers.

Faber just came out of retirement and would’ve been a compelling rematch with Aldo years after their WEC fight. And it’s Aldo’s first move down to 135, Faber would’ve been a good test for his new weight.

What do y’all think? I’m okay with the current match ups as they’re all exciting fights but honestly this is a better bracket IMO.

I feel like this is how UFC comes up with their match making:

Name-in-a-hat.jpg

I don't think Urijah wants to endure another fight with Jose. Also Jose probably deserves someone closer to the top of BW for his first fight there. Hopefully he can actually make the weight.

I thought it was insane to put Aldo against Moraes as his first fight dropping down

Because of how bad Aldo looks and his past with weight cutting

He should've moved up :/

Maybe he will do great though
What do I know

Hopefully a competitive fight!

I don't think Urijah wants to endure another fight with Jose. Also Jose deserves someone closer to the top of BW for his first fight.

Urijah doesn’t want to endure another fight with a marquee legendary WEC rival Jose Aldo? All fans would buy this. 10 years later they fight again.

Yeah let’s put his 40 year old skateboarding ass against a young no name Russian terminator like Yan.

and how exactly does Aldo deserve a #1 contender while coming off a loss? We don’t even know if his cut is going to go well either so if he gasses out he’s going to look bad

Both fights kinda seem like a passing of the guard thing to me.

Urijah doesn’t want to endure another fight with a marquee legendary opponent Jose Aldo?

Yeah let’s put his 40 year old skateboarding ass against a young Russian terminator like Yan.

and how exactly does Aldo deserve a #1 contender while coming off a loss? We don’t even know if his cut is going to go well either so if he gasses out he’s going to look bad

We've seen what happens when Aldo and Faber fight. Yan will likely beat him at this point as well but it's a more interesting fight.

Aldo isn't going to move down and fight guys that aren't highly ranked. People are delusional if they think that's the case. I'd prefer if he stayed at FW but it is what it is.

I agree. Faber won a fight that he shouldn’t have won and that got him closer to the top 10. What I mean with ”shouldn’t have won” is that Faber in his current form and age isn’t a top 20 BW. A great win, but he should have retired off of it. You’ll see why, come saturday night.

Hats off to Aldo for trying something new and horribly dangerous this late in his career. The man is a warrior and has given us some beautiful moments of violence even if he’s got a lot of miles on him. I just think Moraes is the fresher, quicker, more powerful striker at BW. Fight fans will probably enjoy every second of it, but as Aldo fan I got to say I don’t feel good about this.

Hopefully we get a good fight out of it!

ufc feeding old fighters to the young wolves

Trying to build up new faces by matching them up with guys that have a larger fan base

It's nothing new

UFC desperately want to put Faber back into the title picture.

Aldo would demolish him, again. Yan will too but has nothing for Aldo even now

Both fights kinda seem like a passing of the guard thing to me.
^^^^^^^^^This, especially Faber-Yan

Moraes-Aldo makes a bit more sense competitively. If Aldo wins, and that's a huge if, then he is an immediate contender at 135. If Moraes wins in dominant fashion, which he most likely will, then he gets some of his shine back with a win over a living legend.

This match up would’ve made a lot more sense.

Moraes and Yan are actual contenders in the 135 division and are at the peak of their careers.

Faber just came out of retirement and would’ve been a compelling rematch with Aldo years after their WEC fight. And it’s Aldo’s first move down to 135, Faber would’ve been a good test for his new weight.

What do y’all think? I’m okay with the current match ups as they’re all exciting fights but honestly this is a better bracket IMO.

I feel like this is how UFC comes up with their match making:

Name-in-a-hat.jpg

because ufc does what they know better: ruin a stacked division.

pair yan with sandhagen or sterling, for the champ contender, but instead they pair them against old guys.

I like it the way it is. We get to see how Faber, Aldo and Frankie match up against the current contenders of the division. They don't get to just jump over them.

because ufc does what they know better: ruin a stacked division.

pair yan with sandhagen or sterling, for the champ contender, but instead they pair them against old guys.
It's a nice opportunity to give them recognizable names to beat instead of killing contenders by matching them against each others.

I'm sure Yan would rather fight an old legend than a rising hungry contender

this reminds me of Tony/Pettis and Conor/Khabib when really it should've been Tony/Khabib and Conor/Pettis

Aldo still murders faber again thats why

Urijah doesn’t want to endure another fight with a marquee legendary WEC rival Jose Aldo? All fans would buy this. 10 years later they fight again.

Yeah let’s put his 40 year old skateboarding ass against a young no name Russian terminator like Yan.

I agree with 99% of this post, but the phrase "how exactly does Aldo deserve" rubs me the wrong way. The guy is the 145 GOAT and has only lost to absolute top tier guys. He deserves anything they give him.

Back