BJ Penn in 2009 vs Khabib in 2009

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
In 2009, BJ lost to Georges, and finished Florian and Diego.

Ten years later, Khabib , a former welterweight, doesn't have it in him to move up a weight class,
and finished Poirer.

Everyone's on Khabib bandwaggong right now, and rightfully so. But when he was first coming into UFC, there wasn't as much hype as Conor's, who I think came into the UFC around the similar time.

Everyone's going to say Khabib, but BJ in his prime, I dare say, was a beast.

Prime BJ is a tough matchup for Khabib, purely based on boxing and excellent takedown defence and balance.

However I think a fight between the two looks a lot like the 2nd Penn Vs Hughes fight.

giphy.gif

28-0 vs a guy with several losses already even in 2009

Khabib ragdolls him

BJ is the type of guy I'd expect to give Khabib problems. Not now obviously, but when Penn gave two shits about MMA he was tough to take down and keep down, and was dangerous on his feet and off his back. Exactly the type of fighter that I'd expect Khabib to struggle with. Prime for prime I think Khabib would find a way to win, but 2009 Khabib vs 2009 BJ Penn? I'd go with Penn.

Edit: apparently TS meant 2009 BJ vs 2019 Khabib, in which case I'd pick Khabib.

Khabib would wreck Penn and it would be ugly.

Only in sherdog where people think bj penn stand a chance against the current top 5 lightweights.

Uggghh. Khabib would throw that little man around and shut his BJJ down without trying

The only people I see giving Khabib problems are either much large rather or accomplished wrestlers. There aren’t many wrestlers at 155 however so Khabib wrestlefucks the division.

I wish he was a little bigger so we could see how he would do at WW against guys like Usman, Covington, Askren or Maia. All of those fights are intriguing IMO but he’s giving up a fair bit of size in them.

I can’t see BJ having much for Khabib. When BJ was the best, MMA was vastly different - guys have evolved since then. BJ likely gets taken down and held down.

BJ pretzels Khabib, leaves him in a pool of his own blood, licks every drop of blood off his gloves, and catches the early flight home.

even GSP who was way bigger and the GOAT had trouble with BJ's game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back