The Bottom Line: Polarizing Times (Warning: Politics)

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
By Todd Martin
Dec 10, 2019

Editor’s note: The views and opinions expressed below are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Sherdog.com, its affiliates and sponsors or its parent company, Evolve Media.

The ordering process for Ultimate Fighting Championship pay-per-views has changed: UFC 245 is only available on ESPN+ in the U.S.

This is a unique period for MMA, as politics have entered into the sport to a degree never remotely seen in the past. Donald Trump became the first United States President to attend an Ultimate Fighting Championship event in November, receiving a loud mixed reaction and setting off a frenzied partisan argument about what fans at Madison Square Garden were trying to say about him. UFC on ESPN 7 came to the nation’s capital on Saturday, and Bryce Mitchell celebrated the second twister submission in UFC history by offering to beat up Trump’s political opponents. Trump proudly highlighted Mitchell’s remarks on his Twitter feed.

Things were even more partisan at the other major MMA event, as Combate Americas seemingly built its first pay-per-view event around political conflict. Tito Ortiz wore Trump 2020 on the front of his tights and wore a celebratory Trump T-shirt after winning, while Alberto Rodriguez devoted his post-fight remarks to pointedly telling Trump in Spanish that Mexicans aren’t thieves and criminals. As politics have become increasingly difficult to avoid in all facets of American life, MMA wasn’t exempt.

Remarkably, things may get even more political moving forward. UFC 245 this Saturday is a deep card complete with three championship fights, as well as a pair of compelling bantamweight bouts pitting Marlon Moraes against Jose Aldo and Petr Yan against Urijah Faber. However, much of the build has been centered on Colby Covington’s MAGA shtick and Kamaru Usman’s dislike of it. It’s hard to imagine Covington doesn’t have big plans to attract attention, and there’s a good chance that will overshadow everything else on the card for most fans.

The invasion of politics is relatively new in MMA, but it’s nothing new in the world of sports, generally speaking. The NFL and NBA in particular have been awash in political discussion in recent years, with the NBA’s handling of Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey’s remarks about Hong Kong and the NFL’s handling of Colin Kaepernick kneeling for the national anthem taking center stage. What’s unique about MMA is that athletes’ political commentary in other sports has largely been liberal while in MMA it has largely been conservative.

Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/The-Bottom-Line-Polarizing-Times-167341#ey5XE8w7UOY1CW5Q.99

What do you think? Is politics playing a more central role in MMA, or is it just the latest trend to sell fights? Is there a future for sportsmen like Colby Covington who rely on controversial hot-button issues and casual racism to rile fans up?

I'm just glad they're Republican

giphy.gif

It is occasionally annoying. Also, ESPN has been playing the game for awhile.

Who cares. Outside of a fighter call out, the post fight speech might as well be Jerry's Final Thought because all I hear is blah blah blah blah blah

Who cares. Outside of a fighter call out, the post fight speech might as well be Jerry's Final Thought because all I hear is blah blah blah blah blah
Other than Black Beast’s post fight speeches, all I hear is blah blah blah

I wish they'd all shut up. First of all, it's cheap heat and there's really nothing to it. Second there are one or two guys that I like and respected that it's difficult to like and/or respect at this point, and I don't want or need to know.

Like IDK if I can buy this PPV in good conscience knowing Colby might get $0.02 of my PPV money.

"casual racism" i need evidence of that. cause guess what, its non existent.

also, i find it quite sad that kamaru has zero personality, and despite being the champ, has no value to add to the promotional videos. everything he has is just a counter to colby. and even the things he says are stupid. conservatives have ZERO issues with immigrants, but somehow kamaru (and [retarded lefties] other people on the left) think they do. its so sad to see people get lied to and they follow like sheep. at least people who follow colby know he just puts on a silly gimmick.

I care about politics far less than Im interested in it which seems contradictory. Basically if your neighbour is a good person but has different political views than you and you hate them for it while claiming to be "woke" you are fucked, blind and in darkness.

Trump is extremely polarizing, more so than anything other politician in history. People love him or hate him. So it’s easy to latch onto that to get attention, one way or the other, and that’s what we’re seeing and will continue to see for as long as he’s in office.

It does make me think the MMA fanbase is more liberal than I would have expected given that a guy decided to use being a hard-core republican to piss people off.

"casual racism" i need evidence of that. cause guess what, its non existent.

also, i find it quite sad that kamaru has zero personality, and despite being the champ, has no value to add to the promotional videos. everything he has is just a counter to colby. and even the things he says are stupid. conservatives have ZERO issues with immigrants, but somehow kamaru (and [retarded lefties] other people on the left) think they do. its so sad to see people get lied to and they follow like sheep. at least people who follow colby know he just puts on a silly gimmick.
Buckle up, buddy. Society is only going to get worse, and at an ever increasing rate.

It does make me think the MMA fanbase is more liberal than I would have expected given that a guy decided to use being a hard-core republican to piss people off.

For a long time conservatives and Republicans scoffed at MMA... called it a savage sport for freaks and gays. John McCain and the boxing lobbyists were the original enemies of MMA and tried to kill off the sport before it began.

Or...maybe he did it to gain fans, thinking most MMA fans would like his gimmick.

By Todd Martin
Dec 10, 2019

Editor’s note: The views and opinions expressed below are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Sherdog.com, its affiliates and sponsors or its parent company, Evolve Media.

The ordering process for Ultimate Fighting Championship pay-per-views has changed: UFC 245 is only available on ESPN+ in the U.S.

This is a unique period for MMA, as politics have entered into the sport to a degree never remotely seen in the past. Donald Trump became the first United States President to attend an Ultimate Fighting Championship event in November, receiving a loud mixed reaction and setting off a frenzied partisan argument about what fans at Madison Square Garden were trying to say about him. UFC on ESPN 7 came to the nation’s capital on Saturday, and Bryce Mitchell celebrated the second twister submission in UFC history by offering to beat up Trump’s political opponents. Trump proudly highlighted Mitchell’s remarks on his Twitter feed.

Things were even more partisan at the other major MMA event, as Combate Americas seemingly built its first pay-per-view event around political conflict. Tito Ortiz wore Trump 2020 on the front of his tights and wore a celebratory Trump T-shirt after winning, while Alberto Rodriguez devoted his post-fight remarks to pointedly telling Trump in Spanish that Mexicans aren’t thieves and criminals. As politics have become increasingly difficult to avoid in all facets of American life, MMA wasn’t exempt.

Remarkably, things may get even more political moving forward. UFC 245 this Saturday is a deep card complete with three championship fights, as well as a pair of compelling bantamweight bouts pitting Marlon Moraes against Jose Aldo and Petr Yan against Urijah Faber. However, much of the build has been centered on Colby Covington’s MAGA shtick and Kamaru Usman’s dislike of it. It’s hard to imagine Covington doesn’t have big plans to attract attention, and there’s a good chance that will overshadow everything else on the card for most fans.

The invasion of politics is relatively new in MMA, but it’s nothing new in the world of sports, generally speaking. The NFL and NBA in particular have been awash in political discussion in recent years, with the NBA’s handling of Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey’s remarks about Hong Kong and the NFL’s handling of Colin Kaepernick kneeling for the national anthem taking center stage. What’s unique about MMA is that athletes’ political commentary in other sports has largely been liberal while in MMA it has largely been conservative.

Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/The-Bottom-Line-Polarizing-Times-167341#ey5XE8w7UOY1CW5Q.99

What do you think? Is politics playing a more central role in MMA, or is it just the latest trend to sell fights? Is there a future for sportsmen like Colby Covington who rely on controversial hot-button issues and casual racism to rile fans up?
Casual racism??

Get out.

Need more threads with KO gifs and less thread that talk about politics lol

The comparison with NBA and the NFL is wrong. UFC relies on individuals much more than those organization, so it's normal for the UFC to have much more diversity in politics, since each individuals is its proper entity.
With other sports, the entities are built with multiple individuals so to avoid conflict, they cancel all opinions. It's really different. I don't feel like writing a fucking huge text, so maybe my opinion doesn't seem very clear lol.

For a long time conservatives and Republicans scoffed at MMA... called it a savage sport for freaks and gays. John McCain and the boxing lobbyists were the original enemies of MMA and tried to kill off the sport before it began.
Most people I know that identify as conservatives are either republicans or independents or, perhaps, libertarians. But, most of them also consider a lot of republican politicians RINOs....that is, Republican In Name Only. McCain was also known as a guy that would often "go against" his party. That's why he was known as a maverick.

Typically, at least from where I sit, it's the conservatives that tend to adhere more often to the live and let live principal.

McCain definitely had an issue with MMA, though. And, as a conservative, I think he was out of line trying to ban MMA from his position within the federal government. (I think it, along with almost everything, is left to the individual states per the constitution.)

FWIW, I found this article on left-leaning slate: https://slate.com/culture/2018/08/j...e-sport-he-considered-human-cockfighting.html

Back