Does Usman have power?

CasualMMAfanSince2010

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Usman has one KO win in the UFC, I mean even Khabib has more KO wins than him.
But I was watching the UFC free fight of him vs woodley and he managed to stun and kinda wobble woodley at one point. Is that his only clear advantage against Colby? He beat RDA way better than Colby did but I think Colby beat Maia more impressively, need to rewatch to be sure though.
If you watch the 4th round of Kamaru vs Woodley you'll see Kamaru hurt him in the final minute of the round.

around 22:34 (i'm a noob don't know how to timestamp)

Somewhat. He definitely mixes up his strikes with his wrestling well when he's not laying & praying

Colby didn't beat Maia more impressively
Colby - Maia was 3 rounds, and Maia had a case for winning the first round
Usman - Maia was 5 rounds and it was all Usman

Yeah he had Woodley more than kinda wobbly. I think he was some power. Idk maybe he’s just now coming into his own as a striker and is more comfortable throwing heavy shots.

According to Rogan and Shlob..yes he does.

He KOed Sergio Moraes the fuck out.

Colby still wins.

i agree without watch this fight again
first time i watched live put me to sleep

He definitely has at least solid power. If he'd be cleaner with his (punching-)technique i reckon he could become a serious threat on the feet, especially since he's also got a pretty long reach.

He does but whenever he fights it's still Nigerian Naptime.

Colby didn't beat Maia more impressively
Colby - Maia was 3 rounds, and Maia had a case for winning the first round
Usman - Maia was 5 rounds and it was all Usman
Brah Colby would've TKOed Maia in the 4th if it was a 5 round fight...

Having power and actually being able to land to use that power are 2 different things.

Does he have power? Of course but he's a wrestler first. He doesn't need to think he's a striker first now. As soon as he tries he's getting clipped.

But I was watching the UFC free fight of him vs woodley and he managed to stun and kinda wobble woodley at one point. Is that his only clear advantage against Colby? He beat RDA way better than Colby did but I think Colby beat Maia more impressively, need to rewatch to be sure though.
If you watch the 4th round of Kamaru vs Woodley you'll see Kamaru hurt him in the final minute of the round.

When an elite WW fighter lands that type of clean power punches on a tired opponent and can't even drop him few most likely explanations comes to mind:

a) Woodley has a granite chin

b) Usman was too tired himself, if that was in round 1 Woodley would have been at least dropped.

c) Usman has pillow fists.

Based on Usman's record I would say this was more evidence of him not being a hard hitter, than the opposite.

Theres a few gifs of him koing people. But he has mutant strength, the way he Mandingoed Woodley

Of course he does. Whether it translates over to striking depends. If he times a punch and sits down on it, it will hurt. Usman uses his core and legs for TDs, positioning, and control. But, he can hurt folk if he uses appropriate striking technique. He isn't trying to knock folk out, though. So his striking is catered to get folk on the mat. He hits hard against the fence, though. Every now and then, he probably throws in a power shot.

Theres a few gifs of him koing people. But he has mutant strength, the way he Mandingoed Woodley

giphy.gif

Khabib has more power than Usman/Colby. Conor has an elite level chin and he knocked him down. Only knock down in Conors career.

He definitely has at least solid power. If he'd be cleaner with his (punching-)technique i reckon he could become a serious threat on the feet, especially since he's also got a pretty long reach.
I agree. He still mediocre on the feet though.

Khabib has more power than Usman/Colby. Conor has an elite level chin and he knocked him down. Only knock down in Conors career.

You might be right because that overhand right would have KOed woodley. It was FAST AF. Literally one of the fastest overhand rights I've ever seen... BUT Kamaru still has one legit KO win in the UFC
HomelyUnnaturalIggypops-size_restricted.gif

Khabib has 2 TKO wins in the UFC no KOs, so it really depends on what looked more convincing...

Back