If Overeem won, would he get a title shot ?

Dacha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I very much doubt it.

Dana would market it, "we have to sit down and figure it out", but eventualy would not give it to Reem.

I don’t think he will ever fight for the title again

maybe if it was a fantastic KO

big HW KO's can jump you straight into a title shot

nope. It’s tough when your stuck at the top 2-4 spot and there’s not really any fights that make sense, but at the same time you already lost to the champ. Fucking sucks

No, not off of a 48-47 or 49-46 decision, or whatever it would have been. He would have gotten a contenders fight though. Maybe Volkov, maybe Lewis. Wouldn't be fighting Francis again.

Closest any HW can get to a title shot today is a fight with Franky Ngoneyou.

Not a chance.

Overeem even stated in interviews leading up to this fight that since Bigi Boy was lower ranked than him that he thought it would take one more fight to get a title shot after a win.

Honestly, Reem is clearly not good enough. I wish he did get 48-47 win, and he did get another title shot next year against Stipe.
Reem has striking variety. Makes him entertaining. And in HW there is always a chance you can pull it off. Most of his fights i root for him.
But with this loss he could as well go to drawing board and not figure it out for next 2 or 3years.

yes, he already beat stipe but the ref didn't see the tap
)
There was no tap.
Reem went more for neck crank with all the power he thought he had (when he was younger). But not enough in Econoreem.
Stipe positioned and got out.
If Reem have chosen to gnp, he could have been former champ.

I watched the fight with no sound and honestly thought if the KO did not occur he loses 48-47 so no. It was not a dominate performance against a guy ranked much lower than him.

Kind of hard to argue he would deserve it over Naganou who knocked his head into outerspace.

I watched the fight with no sound and honestly thought if the KO did not occur he loses 48-47 so no. It was not a dominate performance against a guy ranked much lower than him.

I read the fightmetric stats with my eyes closed and came to the same conclusion.

Could be true. But all judges card had Reem ahead, i read.
But Reem was impresive to last almost 5 full rounds against very good puncher like Rozen.

Ngannou and Blaydes both stopped him. One with a massive KO and the other turning him into a bloody mess. I can't see how he'd be above either of them as a title contender.

He would have been close.

The only HW'a ahead of him are Francis and Blaydes and I don't know if he'll rematch Curtis, so he was probably 1 fight away from a TS.

Back