Overeems takedowns / ground game

ArmenianAssasin

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ok - what the hell was that ? Seems like he’s completely regressed and lost any / all of his grappling ability

What happened to the guy who subbed Igor and Belfort back to back ?

The guy seemed like he had absolutely no wrestling experience - as dc mentioned he paused and turned his hands before he shot - couldn’t chain it together with his strikes

Looked terrible on top too, had multiple chances to take the crucifix position that was basically being given to him by rozenstruit but was content to just hang in half guard and throw small shots

He probably focuses mostly on his striking because of the current state of the HW division, you can beat the best grapplers by striking as has been shown over and over again.

He was working on intricacies of details of maneuvers that you still don't know the names of.

He probably focuses mostly on his striking because of the current state of the HW division, you can beat the best grapplers by striking as has been shown over and over again.

Right - but the approach here clearly was to mix in the tds

How was he that bad ? He literally had to
Stop, turn his hands , and then shoot like 3 seconds later

I hear ya @ArmenianAssasin but I'm rarely surprised anymore when it comes to grappling, Belfort often looks completely useless on the ground and he is definitely a BJJ blackbelt with a lot of experience. I think it's something you have to work on continually not just dust off for the occasional fight.

He wasn't committed to anything he was doing. The only time he was willing to open up, was when Rozenstruik was on his back, incapable of mounting any offense.

DC noted that Overeem basically looked hesitant in all of his takedown attempts. I don't think it's a technique thing, I think he's just overly aware about the fact that he might get caught and get knocked the hell out. So everything he does just looks half-assed.

Looked hesistant in everything he did, unfortunately. Rozenstruik did not really have a clue on the ground, but Overeem did not really fight with the enthusiasm to make something out of it. Maybe the game plan was to just tire Rozenstruik out and to not emphasize too much on finishing. Funny thing about that is that Overeem was the one needing an inhaler later on in the fight.
Had a great career, Dutch legend, but will never touch UFC gold.

Rozy was blocking Reems shots from half guard well in R1. Holding the head/hands like youre supposed to

I found it weird how little offence he put up on the ground

Back