Media Absolute lunacy from MMA fans RE what constitutes a proper stoppage.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've seen a bunch of posts claiming that Overeem was good to go because he "popped back up" even though half of his mouth had been ripped off and he was clearly staggering and concussed.

Mirg waived off the fight when he saw Reem's body language. It was the correct decision irrespective of how much time was on the clock.

A lot of MMA fans don't think that a fight should be stopped unless a fighter is motionless on the floor.

This is a completely asinine standard. Some fighters can take career-ending or life-ending damage without even being knocked down.

That's exactly what happened to Maxim Dadashev.

Given the propensity of MMA officials and corners to let non-competitive beatings drag on, we're incredibly lucky that there hasn't been a death at the UFC level. However, it's probably going happen sooner or later.

"Shows a boxing fight."
Brah... Boxing is with 10oz gloves... You can swang and bang and no one will bleed nor drop even after 8 rounds...
Mirg waived off the fight when he saw Reem's body language.
BareBitterIndochinesetiger-size_restricted.gif

SinfulBronzeAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Given the propensity of MMA officials and corners to let non-competitive beatings drag on, we're incredibly lucky that there hasn't been a death at the UFC level
There hasn't been any because when MMA fighters get dropped.... They usually stay dropped!

I've seen a bunch of posts claiming that Overeem was good to go because he "popped back up" even though half of his mouth had been ripped off and he was clearly staggering and concussed.

Mirg waived off the fight when he saw Reem's body language. It was the correct decision irrespective of how much time was on the clock.

A lot of MMA fans don't think that a fight should be stopped unless a fighter is motionless on the floor.

This is a completely asinine standard. Some fighters can take career-ending or life-ending damage without even being knocked down.

Given the propensity of MMA officials and corners to let non-competitive beatings drag on, we're incredibly lucky that there hasn't been a death at the UFC level. However, it's probably going happen sooner or later.

I agree TS. I’ve said a few times if rozen loads up one of his head kicks or throws a left hook, or god forbid hit that cut again, instead of mixed outrage we’d be seriously worried for the health and safety of the fighter because it wouldn’t have been pretty. IMO dan was on the wrong side, and took way to long to get in there and let the fighters know what was happening. He had to run across the whole octagon.

"That's exactly what happened..."??

seriously what? posting the dadashev fight referencing last night's stoppage is fucking shameful dude. holy fuck sign out.

Reem was done. Anybody claiming otherwise is a fanboy out of touch with reality. He was ktfo and him hitting the ground woke him back up

Even if Reem was fully lucid after the punch, that busted lip would've received more damage if the fight continued. miragliotta did a good job or do you guys wanted to see a deformed Reem with half lip?

Given the propensity of MMA officials and corners to let non-competitive beatings drag on, we're incredibly lucky that there hasn't been a death at the UFC level.
Exactly my same thought.
See guys already done by far took more bombs for no reason is just awful, is shit, and many times this happen because otherwise kids start complaining like in the diaz - masvidal fight, that doctor was the real bad motherfucker there, officials should not give a fuck of anybody.

Even if Reem was fully lucid after the punch, that busted lip would've received more damage if the fight continued. miragliotta did a good job or do you guys wanted to see a deformed Reem with half lip?

Rozen walked away, Overeem wasn't out, and the ref didn't stop it. There were also 4 seconds left on the clock, and Overeem was up.
Logic here, people: Overeem probably would have won, albeit with a busted up lip. But if you think that had the ref let the fight go on 'Reem would have had his lip torn up more, then you weren't watching the fight.

Rozen walked away, Overeem wasn't out, and the ref didn't stop it. There were also 4 seconds left on the clock, and Overeem was up.
Logic here, people: Overeem probably would have won, albeit with a busted up lip. But if you think that had the ref let the fight go on 'Reem would have had his lip torn up more, then you weren't watching the fight.
If the ref rushed in and chose not to stop it, he would let Roz know, and if he did that, Roz was well within range at that point to blast alistar again. I just don't get what people are watching. Roz stops because dan rushes in and gets in between them. Reem was still on the ground when Dan was touching both him and Roz. If Dan decides at that point not to stop it, he would let Roz know lol. You fans wanted Dan to see reem wasn't out, let him get up, check on him, not let Roz know the fight was still on and just stand around lol. I've seen early stoppages but I've never seen any ref do, what most fans seemed to want Dan to do.

at first i didnt like the stoppage, because he walked away, reem popped up and the ref didnt stop it right away.

then i realized he spared alistar. yes alistar was up on the cards, yes it sucks. but it would have been MUCH worse had RoseBush decided to do what yole did to luke in that position.

the way reem got up you can say "see he was wobbly but not done" and i say to you, "what if rosebush dosnt walk away. would you be happy then?"

ill answer for you. No the fuck you wouldnt. I know its situational, i dont want guys trying to call their own KO's. But this is an exception in my honest opinion. i cannot tell myself alistar deserved another strike in the face.

Yup, and the funniest part of all is that you can bet the vast majority of these tough guys who wanna see a guy get killed in there to be satisfied with a stoppage, are the types of pussies who would fold and turn their back the second someone started swinging at them.

Reem would have survived.
Watch his fights. He either gets KTFO or he gets stunned and runs away until he survives or gets KTFO

In this case, he got stunned and then immediately popped up
like on a trampoline and started to run then DM put his hands on him. He knew it was DM and realized the fight was stopped - that shows he had his wits about him. If he didn’t have his wits and was dazed he wouldn’t know it was DM and he would have put up his hands up or even struck back (which would have been hilarious) but he was aware.

Sure it hurt him, sure it cut him, but he wasn’t done.

DM was fooled because of the walk-off, but refs shouldnt fall for that crap.

Reem would have survived.
Watch his fights. He either gets KTFO or he gets stunned and runs away until he survives or gets KTFO

In this case, he got stunned and then immediately popped up
like on a trampoline and started to run then DM put his hands on him. He knew it was DM and realized the fight was stopped - that shows he had his wits about him. If he didn’t have his wits and was dazed he wouldn’t know it was DM and he would have put up his hands up or even struck back (which would have been hilarious) but he was aware.

Sure it hurt him, sure it cut him, but he wasn’t done.

DM was fooled because of the walk-off, but refs shouldnt fall for that crap.
So popping back up is getting on all fours to stand up, then stumbling against the cage when you finally do stand up lol. Stop this "Popped back up" BS. That literally never happened. Dan was between him and Roz, with Roz walking away before alistar even stood up. The only other options Dan had, was telling Roz to keep fighting, or call in a Dr to look at the cut. Either way, Reem was losing lol

So popping back up is getting on all fours to stand up, then stumbling against the cage when you finally do stand up lol. Stop this "Popped back up" BS. That literally never happened. Dan was between him and Roz, with Roz walking away before alistar even stood up. The only other options Dan had, was telling Roz to keep fighting, or call in a Dr to look at the cut. Either way, Reem was losing lol

Exactly, he was walking away meaning Overeem was literally under no threat. Overeem was clearly compromised, but the fact that his opponent literally has his back turned means there's no way he's not able to defend himself, because there's nothing to defend against.

There's been plenty of flash knockdowns in MMA, we can't keep calling fights off because someone lands one and walks away

Yup, and the funniest part of all is that you can bet the vast majority of these tough guys who wanna see a guy get killed in there to be satisfied with a stoppage, are the types of pussies who would fold and turn their back the second someone started swinging at them.
We got a bad ass here

Exactly, he was walking away meaning Overeem was literally under no threat. Overeem was clearly compromised, but the fact that his opponent literally has his back turned means there's no way he's not able to defend himself, because there's nothing to defend against.

There's been plenty of flash knockdowns in MMA, we can't keep calling fights off because someone lands one and walks away
My point is, if Dan doesn't rush in, I highly Doubt Roz just gingerly walks away while the fight just stalls for the next 4 seconds. Either dan was stopping it while he was running in, or he should have told Roz to keep fighting. People want to have their cake and eat it too with this stoppage, not realizing Roz walked away because Dan rushed in. If he doesn't rush in, and yells keep fighting, Reem is still finished lol. There's no argument that can be made, that will make me feel like the stoppage was unfair to alistar

100% agree.

Ref had the guts to make the correct call himself rather than put the doctor in that position, where he would've had to stop it anyway.

My point is, if Dan doesn't rush in, I highly Doubt Roz just gingerly walks away while the fight just stalls for the next 4 seconds. Either dan was stopping it while he was running in, or he should have told Roz to keep fighting. People want to have their cake and eat it too with this stoppage, not realizing Roz walked away because Dan rushed in. If he doesn't rush in, and yells keep fighting, Reem is still finished lol. There's no argument that can be made, that will make me feel like the stoppage was unfair to alistar

The rule is that you fight until the ref separates you, not you fight until the ref is running in to see if a fighter can continue. Roz did something which 9/10 times costs him the fight, plenty of times we've seen someone get knocked down and walk off or throw their arms in the air only for the fight not to be over, Silva/Bisping for example.
Every time a fighter gets knocked down the ref runs in to check if they can continue, so are you seriously suggesting that for every knockdown fighters should just start walking away because the ref will stop the fight?

Allow me to shed some light on this for you. You see, 95-99% of MMA fans are drooling halfwits. These are dudes who will never work a job that doesn't require a name tag. These are the bottom feeders of the fish tank. Left up to them, the fights would be held on a barge in international waters and would be to the death. They don't want to see a technical back-and-forth chessmatch. They want to see two roided goons throw bombs until one of them drops.

Back