Do more people regonize GSP over Wayne Gretsky/Celine Dion in Canada

King Pun**

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I I were to walk out at night in the street in Toronto with an umbrella if its raining and ask people WHOS IS THIS? holding a picture of Gretsky and the other picture GSP do you thinks more Canadians would recognize GSP?

looking for some serious Canadian answers ty

One cannot think of wayne gretzky without thinking about celine dion.

Gretzky obviously would be much more recognizable. Dion also because 99% of women have no idea who GSP is.

I'd rank it Dion -> Gretzky -> GSP from most to least recognizable.

I'm pretty sure GSP is the love child of Wayne and Celine, so he's probably the least known of the three.

Then where do these guys fit in?

rush-768x435.jpg

Gretzky is about a hundred times more popular in Canada. I have family there. He is the most famous canadian athlete ever according to them.

Wrong lol

Nah. I'm from Canada. Women barely watch the UFC. Although some did back during like the Chuck Liddell period when MMA was just much bigger up here and Dana called Canada the "Mecca" of MMA.

I think GSP has a more recognisable face than Gretsky but I'm sure way more have heard of Gretsky.

Nah. I'm from Canada. Women barely watch the UFC. Although some did back during like the Chuck Liddell period when MMA was just much bigger up here and Dana called Canada the "Mecca" of MMA.
I'm from Canada too though lol, it might depend where you are. TS should legit do this though and make a video.

Every canadian around 28 or older will know Wayne Gretzky and Celine Dion instantly.

The only question is young people.

Everyone has heard of Wayne Gretzky and if you mention #99 they know his name instantly - but how many would him if you showed a photo of him in a suit?
Lots of younger people (and non-sports fans) might be scratching their heads.

If you're <20 and grew up without Titanic, radio and MTV, what are the odds you're directly familiar with Celine Dion? Unless she's very prevalent in Canadian news media it's not unthinkable that she'd be forgotten by the younger generation.

Last edited:
A level athlete Gretzky easily.​

Never head of ceiling deen
And GSP about .0001% of Canada knows

<{gspressed}>

Meanwhile everyone in Russia recognzes fedor

<Fedor23>

I
I I were to walk out at night in the street in Toronto with an umbrella if its raining and ask people WHOS IS THIS? holding a picture of Gretsky and the other picture GSP do you thinks more Canadians would recognize GSP?

looking for some serious Canadian answers ty
I currently reside in Toronto and I can confirm that GSP is nowhere near as popular as someone like Gretzky/Dion. Although a lot of people did watch his fights when he was in his prime, there were also a lot of people here that didn't really care about him. Outside of the die hard fight fans, no one really talks about GSP anymore...

Good grief. MMA awareness getting wildly overestimated, as usual.

My roommate in college started to get really into MMA when I would show him cards. I asked him who his favourite fighter was "The Canadian guy... GPS".

It's a shame that it's less popular than it was in the mid 2000's here because we get some of the best cards at the ACC.

Back