Hot Mike Leaves Dan Miragliotta Accused of Coaching Stefan Struve During Fight

Did Miragliotta do anything wrong?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
d295c672c620db9fe50b49ffd8aebd4b_crop_exact.jpg

Ben Rothwell already had landed a solid shot to Struve’s cup in Round 1, forcing the 7-foot-tall Dutchman to use almost all of the five-minute injury timeout allocation before Miragliotta issued a warning to Rothwell and the fight resumed. But when Rothwell caught Struve (29-12 MMA, 13-10 UFC) low again in Round 2, Struve was left sitting against the cage fence contemplating whether to continue in the fight.

Miragliotta went to Struve and appeared to offer him some advice regarding his situation within the bout.

7274af09-3204-4590-ac71-deee50d29f32.jpg

“It was unintentional… but I’m taking a point away no matter what because of the first one,” Miragliotta told Struve, who was sitting on the canvas with his back against the fence. “I’m taking a point away. It’s not two (completed) rounds yet. You’re probably winning both rounds. If you don’t continue, it’s going to be a no contest. Last (through) this second round and see how you do.… You have two-and-a-half minutes left for recovery time.”

960x0.jpg

When Miragliotta took the point away from Rothwell moments later, he told Rothwell if he landed another low kick, he would be disqualified.

Play-by-play voice Jon Anik said on the broadcast that Miragliotta was covering up his microphone when he was talking to Struve, though that could not be seen from ESPN’s main camera angle. Miragliotta did attempt to cover his microphone seconds later when he asked the timekeeper how much longer Struve had in his second low-blow recovery timeout.

i

The sight of a referee advising a fighter over whether or not to stay in a fight or pull out hurt certainly seemed an unusual one to broadcast analysts and UFC fighters Daniel Cormier and Paul Felder, who showed their surprise in their on-air comments.

Unfortunately for Struve, his decision to continue in the fight ended with things going from bad to worse when Rothwell stopped the still compromised “Skyscraper” with three seconds to go in the round.

ben-rothwell-stefan-struve-ufc-on-espn-7-18.jpg

“That’s unfortunate to hear the ref had said that, because he’s basically repeating what (Struve’s) cornermen are telling him,” Rothwell told reporters backstage after the fight.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...-loss-ben-rothwell-low-blows-ufc-on-espn-7-dc

Last edited:
He basically begged Struve to continue but was quick to end the Reem fight. Mirg is shit.

Yeah it was some real bull shit. You can’t give advice to fighters. It’s not fair, especially when it backfires. I think it’s one thing if you tell him “if you quit it’s not a win it’s a NC”. But you can’t tell him “your up 2-0 bro you got this”. That’s not your job and honestly made him look really unprofessional

was total bullshit. one of the strangest things i've ever seen a ref do. he suddenly became both a judge and a coach.

I don't think it's that bad, you have compromised fighter writhing in pain out there, so you inform him calmly about possible actions and their consequences.

"Last (through) this second round and see how you do" was definitely too much though. Shouldn't have said this part.

Tan Dan with that lack of impartiality doe

I don't think it's that bad, you have compromised fighter writhing in pain out there, so you inform him calmly about possible actions and their consequences.

"Last (through) this second round and see how you do" was definitely too much though. Shouldn't have said this part.

It's not bad. It's fucking horrible, just like mirg.

Weird stuff... Dan was unprofessional. I do feel like he talked Struve into continuing the fight, but at the end of the day Struve said yes...

i disliked that entire situation. unprofessionalism abound.

It was quite weird, yes. I didn't know what he was doing.

Im sure it happens all the time we just heard it loud and clear on tv last night. That’s why in the booth they like “that’s why you turn the mic off”

bad optics tho yes

Weird stuff... Dan was unprofessional. I do feel like he talked Struve into continuing the fight, but at the end of the day Struve said yes...
I agree some accountability is on the fighter, but the role of the ref is to be a neutral party that enforces rules and makes sure everyone is kept safe. I’m not gonna go as far as to say “overturn the fight”, but dan failed his responsibilities.

That's fine and all, but telling a fighter that he's probably up by 2 rounds is very odd, to say the least.

d295c672c620db9fe50b49ffd8aebd4b_crop_exact.jpg

Ben Rothwell already had landed a solid shot to Struve’s cup in Round 1, forcing the 7-foot-tall Dutchman to use almost all of the five-minute injury timeout allocation before Miragliotta issued a warning to Rothwell and the fight resumed. But when Rothwell caught Struve (29-12 MMA, 13-10 UFC) low again in Round 2, Struve was left sitting against the cage fence contemplating whether to continue in the fight.

Miragliotta went to Struve and appeared to offer him some advice regarding his situation within the bout.

7274af09-3204-4590-ac71-deee50d29f32.jpg

“It was unintentional… but I’m taking a point away no matter what because of the first one,” Miragliotta told Struve, who was sitting on the canvas with his back against the fence. “I’m taking a point away. It’s not two (completed) rounds yet. You’re probably winning both rounds. If you don’t continue, it’s going to be a no contest. Last (through) this second round and see how you do.… You have two-and-a-half minutes left for recovery time.”

960x0.jpg

When Miragliotta took the point away from Rothwell moments later, he told Rothwell if he landed another low kick, he would be disqualified.

Play-by-play voice Jon Anik said on the broadcast that Miragliotta was covering up his microphone when he was talking to Struve, though that could not be seen from ESPN’s main camera angle. Miragliotta did attempt to cover his microphone seconds later when he asked the timekeeper how much longer Struve had in his second low-blow recovery timeout.

i

The sight of a referee advising a fighter over whether or not to stay in a fight or pull out hurt certainly seemed an unusual one to broadcast analysts and UFC fighters Daniel Cormier and Paul Felder, who showed their surprise in their on-air comments.

Unfortunately for Struve, his decision to continue in the fight ended with things going from bad to worse when Rothwell stopped the still compromised “Skyscraper” with three seconds to go in the round.

“That’s unfortunate to hear the ref had said that, because he’s basically repeating what (Struve’s) cornermen are telling him,” Rothwell told reporters backstage after the fight.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...-loss-ben-rothwell-low-blows-ufc-on-espn-7-dc
This is a hot mic.
mic_054.png

This is a hot mike.

bbu49.jpg

Should both petition the commission to have the decisions overturned. Generally think Dan is an ok ref but he had a horrible night.

Back