Thoughts on the career of Overeem

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Warning... Wall of Text, Poor use of English, Just my Opinion, okay proceed
<36>

Big Reem fan here, last night he was the better fighter for 19:56 of the fight, but as we know in MMA anything can happen. Split second decisions can win or lose a fight, Reem unwittingly let his guard down and got cold cocked for his lack of attentiveness, as a result he obviously lost the fight.

If you’ve followed Reems career this shouldn’t come as a surprise, he’s made unthinkable errors before, unfortunately when fighting at HW these blunders usually result in getting KTFO. He’s arguably one of the Great HW Mixed Martial Arts Fighters of his generation, I’m saying that not solely based on wins or losses, here is some food for thought. He’s one of the few fighters who’s had success in multiple organizations in different eras of MMA, spanning over 20 years, with or without rigorous PED testing, we all remember LHW SlendeReem, who could forget UbeReem, USADA slimed down EnduroReem, and lastly the patient CompuReem. Regardless of his changing physical configuration he’s been able to adapt, I think thats quite an understated accomplishment, it’s a testament to his skill and underrated fighting IQ.

<BC1>

There are not very many fighters who have been able to adapt to the ever changing environment and circumstances MMA presents like Overeem has, in fact some fighters have floundered with the changing landscape. It’s been a hard learning curve, once thought of as great fighters unable to transition like, CroCop, Barao, Lombard, Hendricks, most recently Askren, to name a few.

<Fedor23>

Think about this, ring or cage, Pride, Strikeforce, Dream, or UFC, testing through USADA, athletic commissions, or sanctioned horse meat consumption, he’s enjoyed varying levels of success regardless of the conditions. He’s not only evolved his game to accommodate, but also his body, all while having to work around his one uncertainty... dat chin.

<{cruzshake}>

I say uncertainty because strangely we’ve seen him absorb and walk through blunt force that should’ve floored him, we’ve also witnessed the shots that looked quite harmless send him to canvas napland.

<{hughesimpress}>

Objectively looking at Overeem’s complete body of work it’s quite impressive to me, especially if you look at his contemporaries, fighters who have close to equal fight years, the only names close in the top 30 are Oliynyk, Werdum, Dos Santos, and Barnett. The last 3 have roughly half as many pro fights that Overeem has, that’s insanely active, especially considering longevity and Overeem rarely pulls out of fights for injuries.

<Goldie11>

I’m sure people will say he isn’t any good because he’s never worn UFC gold... well he was pretty damn close... I know close only counting in horse shoes and handgrenades. Also the steroid cheater group of naysayers... as if they all aren’t all enhanced, there are those who get caught and those who don’t, they all juice... who is USADA & UFC really fooling here? (I guess some live in a glass bubble that inhibits rational thought, they are the only ones fooled)

<JagsKiddingMe>

Just wanted to post up an appreciation thread, the man is incredibly talented and has been doing this since October 1999... 20 years, nearly 80 professional fights between MMA & KB and my man still looks good in the octagon, sounds coherent and articulate for being KO’d 17 times.

WAR EvolveREEM... Just Bleed Legend, Delivers the Highlights win or lose....
Entertainer Extraordinaire, I’ll always be a fan

<{JustBleed}>

Clearly one of the best heavyweights ever. Fought an absolute list of murderers too.

Thanks for the warning I am coming back to this thread but watching football and gonna need a cup of coffee to finish reading this thread.

took PEDs and got caught

loses after winning early :p

Not a huge Overeem fan but respect to his longevity and ability to keep coming back time and time again. HW is pretty weak at the moment but regardless the fact that he's still going is impressive.

Also it should be 24:56 ;)

Hespect.

Reem definitely evolved and stayed near the top of the game WAAAY longer than most.

Hopefully he is healthy enough to enjoy the money he has made.

Also- as stated above 24:56
(5x 5 min rounds = 25min)

Great fighter and character
Appreciate his longevity

cmon any cliffs available
Wall_of_text_1664.gif

Hard not to respect Overeem - he can beat or lose to any HW on any given night. His fights will always be the hardest to predict for that reason

Yeah, 20 years as a fighter and nearly 1 KO loss for each year, that's tanacity!

Had quite a few ups and downs.

Was counted out in 2006-2007 when he got 4 KO losses in just 12 months.
Continued to have his best run with 11 undefeated MMA fights, and the K1 championship where he beat Spong, Saki and Aerts.

Was counted out again in 2013 when he got KO'd by Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell.
Continued to beat Arlovski, Struve, Nelson, JDS and almost guillotine Stipe for the belt - after which he proceeded to beat Hunt and Werdum.

It was seen as the last straw when he lost to Blaydes in 2018 but continued to prove he was still a force by defeating two top15 guys, and was 10 seconds shy of getting 3 in a row

I have nothing clever nor witty to say after reading TS. It’s well thought out and nicely said. Probably anything nicer then any of us loner degenerates will even get at our funerals.

<28>

Edit: Reem bless

i think Overeem is actually really one of those guys that is not scared to fight anybody. He is a legend and should be in the combat sports hall of fame.

Great fighter, great legacy, great personality. Lots of ups ands downs, always exiting to watch.

Time is up in the UFC. His face is a mess, this injury will take time to recover . No point really to try and get 3 big wins again, get into title contention.
Time to cash big in Japan, and hopefully enjoy his retirement in good health.

He has had an incredible career. It's very impressive just how experienced he is and the amount of fights he has had at the highest levels across different eras.

Pretty impressive that he is still fighting the very best and he has been for so long at PRIDE, strikeforce etc.

I rank Overeem over so called GOATs who never fought in the UFC. Period.

He's a lot of things. Now add old to those things. We were always deceived by his looks, we forgot he's 40 now, and looks weaker and slower than ever before.

Reem always finds a way to lose and break all our hearts. I knew Jair was going to win when I heard his walkout song Reem's was weak

Despite all the KO losses, he doesn't seem to be that punchy.

Back