Im Sorry, but Rozenstruik looked like a worse version of Derrick Lewis

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Rozenstruik does have some positives
He has a solid chin, great KO power and did prevent some of Overeems take downs

However, both of these HWs looked slow and below average last night

Overeem is a shell of his prime version. The one that faced Brock...or even the one that faced JDS/Arlowski would have put a beating on Rozenstruik

What Rozenstruik did in Rnd 5, he could have easily done in Rnd 1.
I dont know if its because he has limited cardio, but he should have easily stuffed Reems takedowns (which are telegraphed from a mile away), then made him pay with strikes

This isnt at all like the Black Beast/Volkov comeback. Volkov was actually fighting really well, preventing Black Beast from mounting any significant offense until the end

Black Beast and Ngannanou would starch this Rozenstruik, unless he drastically imrpoves in his next training camp

Give Rozenstruik Rothwell and let Volkov fight Ngannou

Most HW fights are trash tbh. Especially when they go into the later rounds.

Yeah, imagine him fighting Stipe or DC. It would be laughable.

In fact, they should just feed him to Derrick.

He is better than Lewis in every aspect.

Sherdog: 'HW is full of old guys. HW sucks.'

Also sherdog: 'This new, young HW contender sucks.'

His striking looks a lot nicer than Lewis

Cardio was a lot better. He also got a couple escapes which is pretty rare for Lewis. Showed a wider range of techniques for striking as well

Uh his striking is exponentially superior to Lewis who is just a giant powerful slob who throws bombs.

The guy your insulting is a technical Kickboxer with legit striking.

His weakness is he has no ground game and better wrestlers will exploit that.

Yeah, imagine him fighting Stipe or DC. It would be laughable.

In fact, they should just feed him to Derrick.
Stipe has embarrasing poor defense.He literally just stands there flat footed and blocks punches with his face. I could see him KO'ing Stipe in the 1st round. Stipe would have to fight the fight he fought vs Ngannou to beat him.

He was extremely tentative last night. I was critical of him too. But at the end of the day, he stood with overeem for five rounds, disfigured him and knocked him out

Better late than never. Still a great win. The jury’s still out though

Stipe has embarrasing poor defense.He literally just stands there flat footed and blocks punches with his face. I could see him KO'ing Stipe in the 1st round. Stipe would have to fight the fight he fought vs Ngannou to beat him.
Doesn’t watch stipe fight clearly

Stipe’s defensive footwork and head movement are top notch

He still looks like a kickboxer, not a MMA fighter.

Rozenstruik impressed me with his composure when he was on his back, his ability to not deviate from his strengths just because time was an issue, and to still have KO power that late in a 5 round fight.

He looked a bit stiff in the early rounds though

How is he a worse version of Derrick Lewis? Like on what grounds are you comparing them? you didn't list anything that makes them similar. Honestly, is it just because they're black and bald?

Rozenstruik is a lot different. Has kicking game, has a left hand, throws his right hand straight, isn't as big, doen't mind leading but can fight backwards too, is a MUCH more experienced striker with more composure under fire.

Lewis is huge and has gigantic power, only throws from his right side, isn't calm under fire, prefers to counter, generally only throws 'hooks'. Has a better anti-grappling game with his art of "Standdafuckup-jitsu"

Lewis has been wrecked in the striking by guys Overeem beat.

Rozenstruik might end up better overall if his ground game won't be a liability.

Last edited:
Any decent grappler, (Oleinik, Blaydes, Ivanov, even old Werdum) would eat him for lunch. I understand he is a decorated kickboxer, but this is MMA and he looked like a sitting duck on his back. I wouldnt say he was exposed but the hype behind him is unwarranted.

Threads like this remind me how much the average MMA fan has no clue what they're watching.

Jairzinho is the more polished of the two. His attacks are more varied, less telegraphed and shows better awareness when attacking.

Derrick is more crude, more predictable and less ‘technical’.

With that said, Derrick’s perceived deficiencies do not mean that he is less effective. People acting like these Heavyweights don’t only need one shot to shut up shop, particularly Derrick. You can have all the technique in the world, practice and refine your craft over the years and still get bombed out by the right shot. An example off the top of my head: Rothwell/Overeem.

I guess my point is: Don’t fucking bet on this fight if it gets made. Wild West territory with these two, with each man capable of making it a short night.

Stipe absolutely tortured Ngannou, so I imagine he would do the same to Rosenstruik. Are you saying that Ngannou doesn't hit as hard as him?

I also think Blaydes would dominate him.

Back