Edgar's approach works wonders. Why don't fighters do this?!

cpirish

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Takes any fight, any weight, any time, any where on earth.

Prime BJ in Abu Dhabi... sure.
Bendo killer in Japan....sure.
Faber in China....no problem.
Zombie in Korea 16 days notice....no problem.
Prime Aldo twice....yup.
Max in Canada... yup.

Its ONLY led to....a ton of title shots and a ton of money, and legendary status.

Why don't more fighters roll like this?!

Your thoughts?

Not everyone is good enough to. If you’re stepping in and taking on all comers and then getting soundly beaten, consistently, it’s a bad look.

Because sometimes fighters lose or don't get the same opportunities as others.

I mean I love Edgar, but it’s completely understandable that a lot of fighters don’t wanna do that. They care about their record and their health more than about money or being a fan favorite. There’s different approaches according to what you value. Expecting everybody to be reckless and take any fight any time doesn’t make sense, especially in heavier divisions where weight cutting and KO’s are commonplace. How did that work out against Ortega?

Prime Aldo twice....yup.
Max in Canada... yup.

Its ONLY led to....a ton of title shots and a ton of money, and legendary status.

Your thoughts?
Doesn't that account for a 3-5 record, 3-6 if you want to add in him taking Ortega on short notice.

Most fighters aren't as good as Edgar and most of the ones that are don't have the mental fortitude that Edgar has. I don't think I've ever seen Frankie give up in a fight. Him subbing Cub at 4:59 of the fifth round sums him up.

Prime Aldo twice....yup.
Max in Canada... yup.

Your thoughts?
Not every approach works for everyone. For every example of a volume fighter like overeem or Edgar, there’s guys like khabib or usman that pick their fights very carefully and have done very well.

The last time Frankie Edgar took a last minute fight, he lossed.

Prime Aldo twice....yup.
Max in Canada... yup.
{<jordan}

Not every approach works for everyone. For every example of a volume fighter like overeem or Edgar, there’s guys like khabib or usman that pick their fights very carefully and have done very well.

Usman fights at least twice a year and has fought whoever has been put infront of him, not sure why you're calling him a cherry picker tbh.

Usman fights at least twice a year and has fought whoever has been put infront of him, not sure why you're calling him a cherry picker tbh.
Not a cherry picker. Just more methodical and we’ll thought out. He’s not going to fight unhealthy. He’s not taking short notice. He’s only going to do a fight in full notice, healthy, and planned out. Nothing wrong with that.

Frankie is a special guy. Its not just that he will fight anybody, its usually he beats them in exciting fashion.... Even when he loses with the exception of the Ortega fight, he is in every fight till the end.

Not a cherry picker. Just more methodical and we’ll fought out. He’s not going to fight unhealthy. He’s not taking short notice. He’s only going to do a fight in full notice, healthy, and planned out. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh fair enough, you're right in that case. There aren't really that many people who regularly take things on short notice. I can only really think of Frankie, Cowboy, Brazilian Cowboy, Gilbert Burns and Angela Hill who do it all the time.

Oh fair enough, you're right in that case. There aren't really that many people who regularly take things on short notice. I can only really think of Frankie, Cowboy, Brazilian Cowboy, Gilbert Burns and Angela Hill who do it all the time.
A lot of new fighters will take a big shot on short notice. Greg Hardy. Rozenstruik. Just a few in the last month. The thing is most guys who do that don’t stick around long. It’s good to fill the card but when it comes time to make cuts the ufc doesn’t care who took what on short notice

Not everyone stays near fight weight all the time. Frankie can probably make 145 in less than a week.

A lot of new fighters will take a big shot on short notice. Greg Hardy. Rozenstruik. Just a few in the last month. The thing is most guys who do that don’t stick around long. It’s good to fill the card but when it comes time to make cuts the ufc doesn’t care who took what on short notice

Yeah new ones do for sure, I was trying to think of some fighters who've done it more once they're already established.

Yeah new ones do for sure, I was trying to think of some fighters who've done it more once they're already established.
Yeah I get it. I think it’s a mistake for new guys to do it. But if you’re an overeem or someone like Edgar do it up man

Yeah I get it. I think it’s a mistake for new guys to do it. But if you’re an overeem or someone like Edgar do it up man

I think it's cool to get your opportunity on the roster, or if it's an opportunity to make a significant climb up the ladder and sometimes it works out (ie Charlie Brenneman/Rick Story), but I agree that people should consider it carefully.

Cuz this...

tumblr_p51vp22xph1rofocqo1_500.gifv

Back