The real Colby

johndhi

If you love a flower, don’t pick it up.
@purple
Reaction score
I'm a dork and spent the morning watching old Colby interviews. Really is wild to see how different he used to act and how close he seemed to be with Jorge.

Take a look at the snippets below. I didn't believe it was possible it's all invented, but now I'm wondering if it really is. He has said some awful thing about Usman if I remember correctly, which seems like it can't be entirely goodwilled... what do you think?

Timestamped talking about not being into the drama of fighting, and then gracious comments re Jon Jones:

"My best friend Jorge Masvidal"

Random super friendly greetings with fans, heartfelt thanks from troops:

in that last vid Colby also says "that's not what sells" when a dude suggest he be his humble self more often.

He's doing a decent job of selling himself IMO

In addition to mocking Glenn Robinson's death, he has previously been cited for a DUI in which he blew more than three times the legal limit, and was also convicted of 4th degree assault on another occasion.

That's the real Colby.

I mean it’s so over the top and so stupid you kind of always knew it was an act. It wasn’t like when Jon Jones pretended to be humble and a good person where you kinda bought it. I wonder if he’ll ever have enough confidence to be himself.

In addition to mocking Glenn Robinson's death, he has previously been cited for a DUI in which he blew more than three times the legal limit, and was also convicted of 4th degree assault on another occasion.

That's the real Colby.

Hadn't heard that about the DUIs and assault -- although looking them up just now, looks like it was from college days. Not particularly uncommon for wrestlers who became MMA fighters to beat a few people up in their youth, I imagine. I remember a story of Chad Mendes kicking my friend's ass at Cal Poly, haha. So I don't think those things make him an asshole for life.

The Glenn Robinson thing is pretty low, though. And is exactly what seems out of character for someone like the guy in the videos I posted.

Blame the UFC for Colby's silly persona.

Telling him he would be cut win or lose against Maia is what did it.

If it wasn't for the cringe....he'd be gone from the UFC.

Such a switch up in character should warrant more backlash, Colby is a fake dude... Creating characters in his head and acting them out like that is pro wrestling level poser shit, no place for that in mma sport

Such a switch up in character should warrant more backlash, Colby is a fake dude... Creating characters in his head and acting them out like that is pro wrestling level poser shit, no place for that in mma sport

I guess.

But where would he be without the fake persona?

Definitely not challenging for the WW title, headlining a UFC PPV.

Right?

It is very strange to me that not a lot of people are of the opinion that Masvidal is taking after the steps of Colby and putting out an over-the-top, albeit less obvious, WWE gimmick to sell tickets.

It is pretty obvious is it not, that he would not go from loving colby to hating him coincidentally just after getting some value to his name, or that he'd start wearing the Tony Montana cosplay outfit to press conferences and sell "realness and violence", in the same way colby sells "chaos and undeserved pride".

It is very strange to me that not a lot of people are of the opinion that Masvidal is taking after the steps of Colby and putting out an over-the-top, albeit less obvious, WWE gimmick to sell tickets.

It is pretty obvious is it not, that he would not go from loving colby to hating him coincidentally just after getting some value to his name, or that he'd start wearing the Tony Montana cosplay outfit to press conferences and sell "realness and violence", in the same way colby sells "chaos and undeserved pride".

so you're saying Masvidal invented his new personality too? Maybe he and Colby got together and agreed on it or something.

so you're saying Masvidal invented his new personality too? Maybe he and Colby got together and agreed on it or something.
Yes i believe so.
If Masvidal is as "real" as he says he is, how would he turn on someone who was recognized as a very close friend to him, even to the point where masvidal was often cageside in colby's fights!
Am i supposed to believe that he was deceived and then turned on Colby just when he starts to get some recognition?

To me that's hard to believe, much harder than two friends propping up each other's gimmick for money and fame.

I guess.

But where would he be without the fake persona?

Definitely not challenging for the WW title, headlining a UFC PPV.

Right?

He just has to continue winning fights. You don't need a persona if you have a win loss record like his. It may have taken him a little longer to get a title shot, but he would have got there eventually without the fake persona.

The Glenn Robinson thing is pretty low, though. And is exactly what seems out of character for someone like the guy in the videos I posted.
Can I get some context/story on this. Have no idea who he is.

We wrestled against Oregon State when Colby was on their squad -- kinda makes me wish I had taken note of him more seeing how he is today. I don't remember much of him regarding the matter other than him going from decent 1st string wrestler to All-American and making great improvements every time I saw him compete. He was a bigger dude as well and competed at 184 (or maybe the same size but cut less).

Yes i believe so.
If Masvidal is as "real" as he says he is, how would he turn on someone who was recognized as a very close friend to him, even to the point where masvidal was often cageside in colby's fights!
Am i supposed to believe that he was deceived and then turned on Colby just when he starts to get some recognition?

To me that's hard to believe, much harder than two friends propping up each other's gimmick for money and fame.

Well you are not right. There is a real beef and everybody who trains at ATT can confirm this. So yea, they are not friends anymore.

He just has to continue winning fights. You don't need a persona if you have a win loss record like his. It may have taken him a little longer to get a title shot, but he would have got there eventually without the fake persona.

The UFC told him he was being cut win or lose after the Maia fight. That's when the persona began.

So yes. Colby needed that persona. Cause just winning fights was getting him cut.

Can I get some context/story on this. Have no idea who he is.

Glenn Robinson was the owner of the Blackzilians gym, rival gym to ATT (where Colby and Masvidal train). Robinson died of a heart attack about a year ago, and recently Colby took a jab at Usman saying he caused Robinson to have a heart attack by being such a boring fighter. Then later he made another joke about it and said Robinson would be watching Colby and Usman fight "from hell." Pretty low, and Robinson's daughters made a recent statement just being like, fuck you.

The UFC told him he was being cut win or lose after the Maia fight. That's when the persona began.

So yes. Colby needed that persona. Cause just winning fights was getting him cut.

Really? If that's true than I take what I said back. If the shtick saved him from being cut than he did the right thing.

Back