The bottom line regarding A-level athletes in MMA vs average athleticism............................

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
If you were on a path to be an MMA fighter and you were magically given the chance, would you want to have average athleticism or A-LEVEL athleticism...............................?

The answer is obviously obvious.

And THAT is why genetics matter.

An overabundance of various fast-twitch fibers and unreal reflexes are BORN, not made.

Yes, one can overcome certain genetic disadvantages by using skill and toughness as well as anticipating action rather than having the luxury of SUPER SPEED reflexes, but guess fucking what.............a person with A-LEVEL genetics can also use those things................................

Yes, I know, the more advantages ones has, the more they may be prone to be lazy...whilst getting by with natural gifts, (similar to people who get by on their looks) but the fact remains that the ceiling for an average human compared to an A-LEVEL athlete is NOT comparable.

On a very analogous note, a world class sprinter can NEVER being a world class marathon runner and vice versa.

World class sprinters are almost totally comprised of fast-twitch fibers, whereas world class marathon runners are almost totally comprised of slow-twitch fibers.

On a related note, fast-twitch muscles are good for shorts bursts of action, while slow-twitch are good for long bouts of slow action, which is why fighters like Romero and Rumble are prone to gassing out...while fighters like Nick and Nate can endure...mind you, with non-explosive strikes.

I literally can't believe you think anyone gives a shit about your opinion. -10000/10 thread.

Here's the problem.

These are the athletic abilities required to be an elite MMA fighter:

-Reflexes
-Strength
-Explosiveness
-Flexibility
-Coordination
-Balance
-Cardio
-Chin/durability

And also very important: Balls to fight and sustain high amounts of punishment.

The large majority of so called A-level athletes like NFL/NBA players simply won't have all of those. Sure, they might have some like strength and explosiveness, but they will be severely lacking in other departments. Football players are not endurance athletes. They do short bursts of action and then rest for several minutes. They are simply not built to to fight for 25 minutes. Look at Hardy. He was a pro-bowler and yet he can barely fight 3 rounds.

In fighting you need great cardio, there's no other way around it. If you get tired you lose.

NBA players have better cardio and coordination but they're even further from having fight athleticism.

So, if you asked me if I would like to have the athleticism of NFL/NBA players to fight, I would say no. I'd rather have the athleticism of actual martial artists who develop the correct set of athletic abilities to fight.

Last edited:
tumblr_mlzx04BBXG1qzwhb0o3_400.gifv

Just because someone is an A level athlete doesn't guarantee they will hit harder then a guy less athletic, or have a better chin.

The fighter who is the best fighter is the best fighter. Everything else is dork talk from kids who played football but still wherent popular.

Sure, athleticism helps, but it isn't nearly as important in MMA as it is in other sports though.

The lack of muscles and fast-twitch fibers didn't stop this dad bod of a man!
giphy.gif

Neither will it stop me! Really the only thing you'll be missing out on is like 10% more explosiveness...... Can clearly make it up with skills..... Just look at the gif.

The lack of muscles and fast-twitch fibers didn't stop this dad bod of a man!
giphy.gif

Neither will it stop me! Really the only thing you'll be missing out on is like 10% more explosiveness...... Can clearly make it up with skills..... Just look at the gif.
maann i 'hate' this 'fighter' so bad i can't even

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back