Is Marty the new template for champs

ZxxRnn

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
He hasn't fought in forever and it seems like he is the type to fight once a year. I see other champs following this path besides Izzy

He hasn't fought in forever and it seems like he is the type to fight once a year. I see other champs following this path besides Izzy
Conor was the OG "you cant lose if you never fight" champion.

I love how people say this, when most champions we’ve had have always fought twice a year. Like seriously, there might be 1-2 exceptions, or a few who do 3 fights a year instead. But we’ve never had someone who fights like 6 times in a year.

This is nothing new, look at Cain for instance.

I hate it when they do it when they first get the belt, and there are other contenders.

Clean out the division first, and then sit on the sideline waiting for a contender to arise.

giphy.gif

Woodley even admitted he was trying to fight less to extend his reign because being champ gave him opportunities outside the octagon.

This is nothing new, look at Cain for instance.
and Randy couture, and bj penn, and Brock Lesnar. It’s more common than it is not. It always has been. So calling it a “new template” when it’s been here since the inception of the sport is hilarious.

I honestly can’t blame them. Imagine spending a decade chasing your dream, and finally achieving it. You start making life changing money, get a taste of the champion lifestyle and the fame that comes with it. Only a special type of individual is capable of staying focused, motivated and keep on showing up at the gym, twice a day, 6 times a week.

Conor was the OG "you cant lose if you never fight" champion.
Actually it was Matt Serra.

He took a year to give GSP a rematch after "injuries" having milked that belt for all it was worth, promoting himself and his school, and making a shitload of cash in the process.

I hate it when they do it when they first get the belt, and there are other contenders.

Clean out the division first, and then sit on the sideline waiting for a contender to arise.
Or jump up a weigh class for some fun fights while your division sorts itself out.

<BC1>

Actually it was Matt Serra.

He took a year to give GSP a rematch after "injuries" having milked that belt for all it was worth, promoting himself and his school, and making a shitload of cash in the process.
I think the difference between Conor and Serra is that Conor held a belt for a full year he never defended. The featherweight belt. At least Serra eventually defended. So in the regard, Conor was the first. But Serra and many others had long layoffs between fights before Conor.

Is normal. Waiting for dat EPO to thin down to pico territory.

giphy.gif

Woodley even admitted he was trying to fight less to extend his reign because being champ gave him opportunities outside the octagon.

I'm sure you have a source for this. Woodley beat Lawler for the belt in July '16 then defended his belt 4 months later against Thompson. Four months after that he rematched Thompson. Four months after that he fought Maia. And then just two months later fought Till.

Woodley was one of the most active champs during his short reign.

Or jump up a weigh class for some fun fights while your division sorts itself out.

<BC1>
This.

People talk about being "great" but have no idea what it's really all about.

I still can't believe people shit on Anderson. GOAT champion.

I love how people say this, when most champions we’ve had have always fought twice a year. Like seriously, there might be 1-2 exceptions, or a few who do 3 fights a year instead. But we’ve never had someone who fights like 6 times in a year.

GSP-AS-Jon Jones were consistent champs who fought 2-3 times a year.

Usman still has not beat a top 5 since being champion and its already been a 9 months.

GSP in 2.5 years cleaned out the top 5 while doing a season of TUF vs Josh Kos.. Then he did it again in 2.5 years while being out with a ACL tare for 10 months

Kevin Randleman won the UFC HW title November 19, 1999, defended it June 9, 2000 and lost it November 17, 2000.
It's not like this is a new thing.

I really hope UFC force this guys to defend the belts at least once every 6 months or threat them to strip them of the belt, I'm sick of this guys sitting and doing shit while holding belts.

<BC1>

I'll try to see if I can find one. I remember him saying that somewhere. After that he became quite inactive though and didn't fight for over a year and overall seemed pretty nonchalant about fighting.

Back