Same day weigh ins would fix the weight cutting problem

Danis_champ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What do you think about this idea? I know it's been talked about before but we should finally do something about it.

Here is my example:

Weight classes would remain as they are: 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, 265. I know that 125 would disappear in that case but isn't that what most of us want anyway?

Every fighter has to choose their new weight class according to their walk around weight.

Conor walks around at 175 so he WW would be ideal for him. Fighters and their weight will be monitored throughout the whole week. Fighter will be weighed in 30 minutes before the fight. If you miss the contracted weight then the fight will be off or you forfeit 20% of your purse to your opponent for every pound you miss. How would fighters cheat this system? If both fighters have to weigh exact the same amount or less before entering the cage then what is the point of dieting or weight cutting? You can cut weight but you just don't have time to rehydrate because the fight is only minutes away. I know that system would cause last minute cancelling of fights but I would sacrifice that to fighters health and fighters fighting more often. Stack the cards more and losing one fight would not hurt as much.

Agreed, or end weight cutting all together

Last edited:
In muay thai its often normal to have the weigh ins the morning of the fight and it doesnt work. People still cut like crazy. 12 year oldss with sweatsuits running up and down the road in the sun etc. Not eating. Its a good idea until put in practice

They'd still cut weight

Only thing it would do is make the fights more dangerous due to lack of time to rehydrate the brain

Weighing again on the same day of the fight and Imposing some stipulation /limit to rehydration is probably the closest we'll get to a solution. Perhaps weigh multiple times on fight day to ensure they're within reasonable range with significant penalties for offenders

People will always find ways to cheat the system when there's money at stake though, it's a very hard thing to govern

They'd still cut weight

Only thing it would do is make the fights more dangerous due to lack of time to rehydrate the brain
What is the point of cutting weight if the fight is called off if you weigh in heavier than your opponent?

The solution is, simply don't give people time to rehydrate. If both come in rehydrated then none of them gets an advantage.

What do you think about this idea? I know it's been talked about before but we should finally do something about it.

Here is my example:

Weight classes would remain as they are: 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, 265. I know that 125 would disappear in that case but isn't that what most of us want anyway?

Every fighter has to choose their new weight class according to their walk around weight.

Conor walks around at 175 so he WW would be ideal for him. Fighters and their weight will be monitored throughout the whole week. Fighter will be weighed in 30 minutes before the fight. If you miss the contracted weight then the fight will be off or you forfeit 20% of your purse to your opponent for every pound you miss. How would fighters cheat this system? If both fighters have to weigh exact the same amount or less before entering the cage then what is the point of dieting or weight cutting? You can cut weight but you just don't have time to rehydrate because the fight is only minutes away. I know that system would cause last minute cancelling of fights but I would sacrifice that to fighters health and fighters fighting more often. Stack the cards more and losing one fight would not hurt as much.
You’d also see fighters extremely depleted during fights

You’d also see fighters extremely depleted during fights
I think fighters will learn fast that it's not a good idea. I want to see person fight 30 minutes after extreme weight cut. This is not possible.

Such a simple idea. Why has it not been done before

Oh yeah, it has in Boxing and people cut anyway and got seriously hurt and even died. The day before weigh ins were added for a reason

I think fighters will learn fast that it's not a good idea. I want to see person fight 30 minutes after extreme weight cut. This is not possible.
Ive seen people go 15 minutes hard after insane weight cuts. Its possible and very unhealthy

Ive seen people go 15 minutes hard after insane weight cuts. Its possible and very unhealthy
I mean then monitor the weight through the fight week to make sure no one is making the cut close to a fight. Weigh them every day.

Except they don't. Duk Koo Kim died because of same day weigh ins. Or Dennis Munson Jr. Same day weigh ins don't work. Thats why such a seemingly simple solution is not used in major Boxing or MMA events

Most don't have a problem tho

99% of the fighters shouldn't be punished for a few that have a problem

Would probably solve the UFC's overpopulated roster problem too

I think the answer has more to do with guidelines for the difference between weigh-in weight and in-cage weight.

One approach: if that difference is consistently more than say 7% (say more than 2 fights) then the fighter must have their next fight at a higher weight class.

Other approach: financial penalties if the difference exceeds the mandated threshold.

There is no weight cutting problem. Just because something doesn't work 100% flawlessly does not make it a problem. Shit even a half million dollar Rolls Royce comes with a warranty because they expect that something can go wrong.
The percentage of fighters who miss weight is extremely low and even lower for repeat offenders. There has rarely ever been a card or even fight called off because of weight. There is already a penalty in place and the fighter who made weight in most cases has the option of not taking the fight. The reason they usually take the fight is because come fight day they know their weight will be on par with the person who missed.

Except they don't. Duk Koo Kim died because of same day weigh ins. Or Dennis Munson Jr. Same day weigh ins don't work. Thats why such a seemingly simple solution is not used in major Boxing or MMA events
Well, bunch of fighters have died because of the night before the fight weigh ins and many of them hospitalized. And even one titan FC fighter was paralyzed... early weigh ins aren't the solution either.

There is no weight cutting problem. Just because something doesn't work 100% flawlessly does not make it a problem. Shit even a half million dollar Rolls Royce comes with a warranty because they expect that something can go wrong.
The percentage of fighters who miss weight is extremely low and even lower for repeat offenders. There has rarely ever been a card or even fight called off because of weight. There is already a penalty in place and the fighter who made weight in most cases has the option of not taking the fight. The reason they usually take the fight is because come fight day they know their weight will be on par with the person who missed.
it does work because fighters are forced to go through it. We see it working but we don't see an actual damage to health that it causes to fighters. The process as a whole is a problem and it should not exist.

Imagine if fighters didn't have to cut weight? we would see some fighters who did not take damage in their fights fighting the next week again.

These "solutions" are always hilarious. Make weight cutting even riskier, then fighters won't do it! Because fighters are so risk averse.

<36>

I mean then monitor the weight through the fight week to make sure no one is making the cut close to a fight. Weigh them every day.
Thats some communist shit imo. Monitored the whole damn week lol. Would piss me off so bad when trying to focus on the fight. That said i never really cut weight. Used to eat up before fights to get in the weight range lol

Back