Why do UFC fighters not use rubberguard ?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's actually a super solid guard to prevent your opponent from posturing up and gnping the shit outta you and you can attack when stuck on bottom.
I clearly don't get it, can someone explain this to me ?

Try and put your foot over your head. Post pics

Some guys used to use it, been a while since I seen someone bust it out in ufc

It makes you super light to pick up and carry about like a baby. If you have one hand on your own foot, and doing the 'zombie' with the other, you become light as a feather because of your centre of gravity.

It makes you super light to pick up and carry about like a baby. If you have one hand on your own foot, and doing the 'zombie' with the other, you become light as a feather because of your centre of gravity.

I feel like it's precisely the opposite.
The higher your legs are on your opponents back/neck, the harder it is for him to pick you up.

It's actually a super solid guard to prevent your opponent from posturing up and gnping the shit outta you and you can attack when stuck on bottom.

It doesn't really offer much outside of low percentage moves like oma and gogo platas and it doesnt really stop you from getting hit...a few people still use it..but its just not that effective when gnp is involved might be good to use as a stall out to get stand ups..but unless your facing someone who hasnt done Jiujitsu alot..its not gunna be that effective IMO

Because we can't have Rogan shitting his pants every show.

It doesn't really offer much outside of low percentage moves like oma and gogo platas and it doesnt really stop you from getting hit...a few people still use it..but its just not that effective when gnp is involved might be good to use as a stall out to get stand ups..but unless your facing someone who hasnt done Jiujitsu alot..its not gunna be that effective IMO

From my own little experience as a blue belt hobbyist, I started tapping purple belts out on a regular with some rubberguard shit I saw on YouTube they obviously never heard of, it was so simple it really felt like cheating.
I thought it would be even more useful from a mma perspective since punches are involved, which makes this guard way more effective than a traditional closed guard where you get punched the shit out of you.

I feel like it's precisely the opposite.
The higher your legs are on your opponents back/neck, the harder it is for him to pick you up.

It's the position of your body, pulled up tight against your opponents that makes you easy to pick up.

Leaning back and away from someone makes you hard to pick up because it moves your centre of gravity away from the person trying to lift you.

They need to get your centre of gravity above their own to make you light.

Leaning back from your opponent makes that hard, pulling yourself in tight makes it much easier.

Some guys used to use it, been a while since I seen someone bust it out in ufc
Yeah I feel like it was a lot more common ten years ago. Can’t remember the last time I saw it though. Don’t really know why it disappeared.

From my own little experience as a blue belt hobbyist, I started tapping purple belts out on a regular with some rubberguard shit I saw on YouTube they obviously never heard of, it was so simple it really felt like cheating.
I thought it would be even more useful from a mma perspective since punches are involved, which makes this guard way more effective than a traditional closed guard where you get punched the shit out of you.

Again...rubber guard isnt a new thing anymore..and it opens you up to body shots and leaves you with no real attacks..outside of oma and gogo platas and a few complex sweeps which may work if your a really good bjj guy..but most grapplers who are caught in rubber guard these day just chill and throw small shots and as soon as you move to attack or sweep they explode out...

I think butterfly guard would more effective then rubber in MMA..you can get up from butterflies,sweep,submit and control alot of there posture via lifting and lowering there hips with single or double butterflies..IMO

It's the position of your body, pulled up tight against your opponents that makes you easy to pick up.

Leaning back and away from someone makes you hard to pick up because it moves your centre of gravity away from the person trying to lift you.

They need to get your centre of gravity above their own to make you light.

Leaning back from your opponent makes that hard, pulling yourself in tight makes it much easier.

Fair point, but even though, you have to be freakishly strong to pick a dude your size all the way up when he has a rubberguard on you.
Same thing as picking up a guy triangling you. Definitely possible but still not that common.

Because it requires very flexible legs and hips, which most people don't have

Because, more often than not, if you have to use it, you're already losing

giphy.gif

It's like leg locks and heel hooks. It looks amazing when an expert does it, but it's pretty low percentage for the other fighters. It's not always worth the training investments that it requires.

I hadn't noticed but you're right... the times I've seen it used it seemed very effective. Huh...

<mma4>

Back