Shogun Wants to Stomp Again

Should the UFC allow stomps?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

UFC legend Mauricio “Shogun” Rua wishes the UFC allowed stomps so he could pull off his signature move from the PRIDE days.

method=get&s=shogun-11-29-2013-11-13-15-949.jpg

The UFC follows the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which do not allow the use of stomps or soccer kicks to grounded opponents. That’s in contract to PRIDE, where Rua became a household name back in the 2000s. It was in PRIDE where Rua finished several opponents — including fellow legend Quinton “Rampage” Jackson — via stomp or soccer kicks, which were legal blows in that promotion. The UFC used to allow them, too, up until the introduction of the Unified Rules.

shogun_rua_pride.jpg

During Rua’s fight against Paul Craig at UFC Sao Paulo, which resulted in a controversial split draw, there were several moments where Rua was standing above Craig on the ground and could have pulled off a stomp or soccer kick move if it was allowed. As it stands, Rua wasn’t allowed to do either move or he would have been penalized.

During the UFC Sao Paulo post-fight press conference, a reporter asked Rua if he wishes the UFC allowed stomps. Here’s what the legend said.

“Yeah, many moments in the fight I was on top on the ground and I could only wish for stomping. There’s a lot of people (in the audience) screaming for me to stomp,” Rua said.

22704.jpg

Unfortunately for Rua, he was not allowed to stomp Craig and instead had to settle for top positional control and punches from the guard. Though many felt that Rua deserved to win the decision, the judges were split on the verdict and called the fight a split draw. Perhaps the use of stomps or soccer kicks would have been the difference in the outcome of the fight, but we are a long time from the PRIDE days and Rua — or any UFC fighter for that matter — isn’t allowed to use those moves anymore.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/mauricio-shogun-rua-wishes-the-ufc-allowed-stomps/

Last edited:
Let em stomp BROS

UFC legend Mauricio “Shogun” Rua wishes the UFC allowed stomps so he could pull off his signature move from the PRIDE days.

method=get&s=shogun-11-29-2013-11-13-15-949.jpg

The UFC follows the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, which do not allow the use of stomps or soccer kicks to grounded opponents. That’s in contract to PRIDE, where Rua became a household name back in the 2000s. It was in PRIDE where Rua finished several opponents — including fellow legend Quinton “Rampage” Jackson — via stomp or soccer kicks, which were legal blows in that promotion. The UFC used to allow them, too, up until the introduction of the Unified Rules.

shogun_rua_pride.jpg

During Rua’s fight against Paul Craig at UFC Sao Paulo, which resulted in a controversial split draw, there were several moments where Rua was standing above Craig on the ground and could have pulled off a stomp or soccer kick move if it was allowed. As it stands, Rua wasn’t allowed to do either move or he would have been penalized.

During the UFC Sao Paulo post-fight press conference, a reporter asked Rua if he wishes the UFC allowed stomps. Here’s what the legend said.

“Yeah, many moments in the fight I was on top on the ground and I could only wish for stomping. There’s a lot of people (in the audience) screaming for me to stomp,” Rua said.

22704.jpg

Unfortunately for Rua, he was not allowed to stomp Craig and instead had to settle for top positional control and punches from the guard. Though many felt that Rua deserved to win the decision, the judges were split on the verdict and called the fight a split draw. Perhaps the use of stomps or soccer kicks would have been the difference in the outcome of the fight, but we are a long time from the PRIDE days and Rua — or any UFC fighter for that matter — isn’t allowed to use those moves anymore.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/mauricio-shogun-rua-wishes-the-ufc-allowed-stomps/

Of all the fighters that came out of pride he was hindered the most by the change of rules effecting his style and he stiiiiiillll came in and put in work. Maybe the goat hammerfist thrower. That style and the whooping he could put on people i admire most.

Prime shogun vs prime dc pride rules i got shogun. Idgaf if you hate me for it.

If you give a striker stomps... you have to give a wrestler knees to grounded opponent head... CTE for you... and CTE for you.

If you give a striker stomps... you have to give a wrestler knees to grounded opponent head... CTE for you... and CTE for you.
I think strikers would also benefit from knees to a grounded opponent. Wrestlers would sure as fuck need to have a good TD shot or they'd be destroyed by said knees.

Its only because thats as high as he can kick now.

if they allow stomps before knees i will literally shit all over myself

Give me 12-6 elbows on top of that and I'm a happy man.

Banning kicks to the head of a grounded opponent and stomps made no sense at all to me.
Both should be allowed.
Eye gouges, groin strikes etc.... can remain banned however.

Back