Fighters who have taken a while to get into the swing of things

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
When fighters come to the UFC quite often they can have pretty slow or not very good starts, whether that's nerves, getting used to the competition or whatever we have seen it before where we've seen a fighter come into the UFC, not do too great and then all of a sudden at some point they'll find their mojo and be on fire.

I know it's a bit early to say but Danny Roberts kind of made me wonder if he's the next guy who's finally found his feet that will hopefully do much better now. I've always liked the guy and wanted him to do well however he was pretty give and take with his fights and not really standing out until last weekend when he knocked out Zelim Imadaev in one punch and he finally gave people a reason to take notice of him.

This is geo blocked in the UK however I hope most of you can see this.

I do believe sometimes that fighters often need to find their feet be it in a new weight class or as a new fighter coming into the UFC, this can sometimes take a bit of adjusting but once they find their feet that's when we really get to see what they're about and their potential.

However is there any fighters which come to mind for you in regards to this?

Oh yeah Jorge Masvidal

I was thinking him but I think he's a bit different, he was in the UFC for years so I don't it was a case of getting into the swing of things, it was too long for that to be the case.

I think Masvidal just completely came back as a new fighter and reinvented himself which is different really, Till seems to be doing that now if he continues the way he did in his last fight :)

I think this is by and large a think of the past, at least for guys who come in with a good amount of hype. Back in the day, you sorta fought everyone. Everyone lost, wasn’t a big deal. Now, fighters are protected, fed 10-15 cans before they fight a decent opponent. I just think we’re gonna see less and less of this as guys increasingly look to protect their legacy.

Jan tbh

I really didn’t think much of him for half of his ufc career

Manuwa fight (2nd one) made me take him serious

I think this is by and large a think of the past, at least for guys who come in with a good amount of hype. Back in the day, you sorta fought everyone. Everyone lost, wasn’t a big deal. Now, fighters are protected, fed 10-15 cans before they fight a decent opponent. I just think we’re gonna see less and less of this as guys increasingly look to protect their legacy.

Kind of though I do find that there's a lot of fighters that come into the UFC and don't really do well, stand out or get noticed which I think a lot of that is finding their feet, the new fighters basically.

Marc Diakase kinda seems like another one like this, as is Danny Roberts like I say in the OP.

I mean I kinda disagree with this protection thing when it comes to setting up opponents because if you come into the UFC you come into a weight class and you build yourself up, you can't give fighters fights (specially new fighters) to guarantee they'll beat someone, they usually start of at the bottom anyway and they're all in the same weight class and all fight at similar levels, the only person who can win or lose is the fighter themselves.

Unless we saw a fighter say like Masvidal and they were fighting fighters like Danny Roberts and building up a big win streak helping them push up the rankings that's the only way I can see that and obviously that doesn't really happen, I'm talking mainly from fighters like the Danny Roberts scenario if he continues to build now that was his thing after finding his feet.

It's like when people say "Dana is trying to get you beat", how can he get anyone beat, they are all fighters who fight in the same weight class competing to be the best and claiming they are the best hence why they're wanting to fight there. The only person who can get them beat is the fighters themselves.

Jan tbh

I really didn’t think much of him for half of his ufc career

Manuwa fight (2nd one) made me take him serious
So, was it the split decision victory over a 40 year old MW that won you over and something previous?

Nate Diaz claims he was just getting started in the 4th round. But when he said that I was thinking
<puh-lease75>

Nate Diaz claims he was just getting started in the 4th round. But when he said that I was thinking
<puh-lease75>

I mean career wise not in a fight.

Pretty much fighters who are unranked for ages or something and never seem to move out of that then start to find their feet and build towards it, but it took a while.

Fighters who didn't come into the UFC on fire basically.

I mean career wise not in a fight.

Pretty much fighters who are unranked for ages or something and never seem to move out of that then start to find their feet and build towards it, but it took a while.

Fighters who didn't come into the UFC on fire basically.
Oh I see. Tyron Woodley is a good answer. Came into the UFC coming off a KO loss and already had the rep of being seen as boring. COmes in and puts Jay Hieron's lights out in under a minute. Goes on to trade some wins and losses before eventually getting his hands on gold. Still hurts to think about him being the one beating Robbie.

Oh I see. Tyron Woodley is a good answer. Came into the UFC coming off a KO loss and already had the rep of being seen as boring. COmes in and puts Jay Hieron's lights out in under a minute. Goes on to trade some wins and losses before eventually getting his hands on gold. Still hurts to think about him being the one beating Robbie.

I know and how quick he did that too, was crazy lol :)

dustin took awhile to find the right weight class and get his momentum going

and I will get flamed for this but kabob.

he was in the ufc for a long time before he made it to the top, not that he lost or didn't have what it takes

it just took forever for him to get top ranked fights, and I would say over the last couple years he has become

a much more complete fighter compared to when he first joined ufc.

another is Jorge, I am still not sold on him yet, but he has been looking like a different guy lately,

if he ever fights Edwards I might even quit hating on the guy.

So, was it the split decision victory over a 40 year old MW that won you over and something previous?

Don’t ever quote me again with that kind of bullshit whitebelt

Seriously guys can someone moderate this forum?

Back