LHW Jacare Said He Won't Make the Same Mistake as Rockhold and Weidman

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza knows he must perform before opening his mouth ahead of his light heavyweight debut. Souza meets Jan Blachowicz in the UFC Sao Paulo headliner on Saturday. He will be the latest middleweight to make the move up to 205 in the process.

And while names like Thiago Santos and Anthony Smith have excelled in the new weight class, bigger names like former champions Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman both had rude awakenings in their light heavyweight debuts.

Rockhold, in particular, spoke a big game as he was looking past Blachowicz. In the end, he was knocked out by the Pole in their UFC 239 matchup. Souza does not plan on making the same mistake:

“That fight showed me that I have to go there and do a good job instead of talking too much,” Souza told MMA Fighting. “You can’t talk too much before things actually happen.

“(Rockhold) was talking about (Thiago) ‘Marreta’ (Santos) – ‘Marreta’ has done an excellent job at light heavyweight – and he was talking like (Santos) was nothing. He talked too much, and then that happened.”

If Souza can get the win against Blachowicz, he could potentially fast-track himself into a title shot against Jon Jones. It won’t be easy, though, as his foe is bigger than him and a natural light heavyweight. However, the Brazilian feels he has always fared better against bigger opponents and can surprise spectators:

“I always did great against heavier opponents when I competed in jiu-jitsu,” Souza added. “I have no problem fighting heavier guys, and it won’t be different this time. I’m in great shape, and I will surprise a lot of people. I’ll go there and do a good job.

“I’ll definitely use more strength. He will be heavier than me, but I believe I’ll be able to surprise everyone in spectacular fashion!”

https://www.lowkickmma.com/jacare-s...ke-rockhold-ahead-of-light-heavyweight-debut/

Jac keeping it simple, as usual.

Yeah, he'll lose by Decision instead of KO. He'll still lose regardless, though

He's going to Grapplefuck. Smart move if he can do it.... Blachowicz is a giant beast.

I think Jacare is shook after watching what happened to Rockhold and Weidman. He doesn't want to get ktfo and will fight scared. I hope he still wins though and finds success at LHW. The guy never got a title shot even after winning consistently.

INB4 Souza gets dropped by left hook harry.

I think Jacare is shook after watching what happened to Rockhold and Weidman. He doesn't want to get ktfo and will fight scared.

You don't believe him when he says he did well against larger opponents when he competed in jiu-jitsu? Or you don't believe he believes it himself, or believes it but isn't reassured by it?

Rockhold and Weidman both had egos way larger than their talents. The time has moved past them and there is nothing left for them, retire please.

why dies perez back up after he lands a big shot

He already has, none of them should've jumped up vs top LHWs.

They should've eased into it against top 15 guys imo.

Jacare is in a different position " chin " wise so I wouldn't be " shocked ". Luke is a broken fighter and I told ya all well never see him in mma cage agsin. His competitive nature landed him in the only appropriate spot ..... and that would be grappling shows/tournaments- good for him and i hope he has no notion that if hes sucessful there then that translates him into taking another shot with these 4oz. gloves.It only gets worse from here.

Weidman in a bit different situation but he needs to go back down to 185 and 1000% rely on his wrestling/BJJ.

Jacare, unfortunately, cause of size and age - even if he wrests an upset here and there, he's fighting on borrowed time.
The man had a great career- the UFC snubbed him out of a title shot when he deserved one and his passive nature didnt help.

I just rain it down the way it is.

I love Jacare, been a fan of his since the HD Net days, so obviously I'm pulling for him. But I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of his latest camp, just feels like 'yes' men. Hopefully mentally he's in a better place, and I hope he sticks with his strength - grappling.

Back