Anyone Else Concerned About Edgar Dropping to Bantamweight?

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UFC Vet Josh Thompson Speaks Out

“As you get older, I feel like you should go up in weight, and not down -- especially in the light weight divisions -- speed kills! You’re fighting now guys who are going to be as fast as you, if not faster [than] you. As you go down in weight, it’s going to be a harder weight cut for you as well.

“Frankie’s never really had to make the weight. At 155lbs, he didn’t cut any weight. He was actually eating at 2 or 3 in the morning just to keep the weight on. At 145lbs, he didn’t really have a weight problem, either. Easy weight cut for him. At 135lbs, he’s going to actually have to put some work in to keep the weight down a little, and then cut the weight the week of the fight. He hasn’t normally had to do that. How is that going to affect him? We don’t know.

“He’s been cutting weight his whole life (with wrestling he’s been involved with the saunas). He understands how to cut the weight and do it properly. That won’t be as much of an effect to him as much as the speed of the weight class will. To me, that’s going to be the distinct difference of whether he succeeds or not in the 135lbs division.

“My concern is, as you get older you slow down. I saw when he fought Max Holloway and the other guys at 145lbs, he had a harder time with the guys that were as fast as him.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...eight-is-a-bad-idea-says-friend-josh-thomson/

I'm a long time Edgar fan, and I'm a little concerned. The time for Edgar to fight at 135 was years ago, and Sandhagen is an absolutely brutal first opponent.

Frankie Edgar had a bad night against Brian Ortega, but beyond that he hasn't had as much as one bad performance in his entire career. Unlike a lot of other fighters at his age, I trust him to know what he's doing.

UFC Vet Josh Thompson Speaks Out

“As you get older, I feel like you should go up in weight, and not down -- especially in the light weight divisions -- speed kills! You’re fighting now guys who are going to be as fast as you, if not faster [than] you. As you go down in weight, it’s going to be a harder weight cut for you as well.

“Frankie’s never really had to make the weight. At 155lbs, he didn’t cut any weight. He was actually eating at 2 or 3 in the morning just to keep the weight on. At 145lbs, he didn’t really have a weight problem, either. Easy weight cut for him. At 135lbs, he’s going to actually have to put some work in to keep the weight down a little, and then cut the weight the week of the fight. He hasn’t normally had to do that. How is that going to affect him? We don’t know.

“He’s been cutting weight his whole life (with wrestling he’s been involved with the saunas). He understands how to cut the weight and do it properly. That won’t be as much of an effect to him as much as the speed of the weight class will. To me, that’s going to be the distinct difference of whether he succeeds or not in the 135lbs division.

“My concern is, as you get older you slow down. I saw when he fought Max Holloway and the other guys at 145lbs, he had a harder time with the guys that were as fast as him.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...eight-is-a-bad-idea-says-friend-josh-thomson/
I think Thomson is spot on. I think he loses against Cory.

Everybody says he's a Bantamweight which likely influenced his decision. Unlike Aldo a a ton of fans have been saying he should move to 135 for the last 3 years or so. I personally think it'll be a pretty tough cut for him. I find it funny because he's going down in weight and still fighting somebody the size of Holloway.

Yeah definitely. Frankie's strength AND weakness was always being undersized. At 155, he was so much faster than everyone he could compete with guys much bigger than him. Going down, especially given his age and decline in speed, I don't think fighting guys his size for once will give him any significant benefits at this point. Still a fan and will always root for him though.

More concerned for Aldo than Edgar.

Edgar looks like (and has always looked like) he belongs at bw. Aldo not so much.

Edgar will be yet again a small fighter in this division. He is 5’6. If Dom Cruz and Cody Garbrandt can make the weight (both 5’8’’) - why the hell would you be concerned? He couldn’t be cutting too much weight to 145. He is all about cardio and throws wmma power strikes.

Yes I said it.

Not concerned one bit. He should have been a bantamweight from the beginning.

Too little, too late.

He should have dropped once he lost to Bendo but now that he's on the verge of retiring, i don't know if the cut can benefit him. he could have a resurgence but he took a lot of damage in LW and can fight for the title but.... ugh we have to wait for his performance.

Edgar was cutting from around 152 pounds before his last fight at FW, from what he said in an interview over the summer. That is what a lot of BW's cut from to make 135. He is a professional, and i have no worries about him.

I don't get concerned for anybody. Edgar is a grown man. If he makes that walk and gets his ass handed to him maybe he'll retire. I think he should, but if he can pass the physicals nobody can stop him.

It always blows my kind when fighters think they're ass is gonna age like wine or something. It's a proven fact...father time is undefeated. You can't turn back the clock by cutting weight Frankie. You're just going to look slower than you did at the higher weight. This won't end well and he probably still won't retire. He'll blame the weight cut lol.

not really. dude is tiny. he will make weight easily. probably could cut down to flyweight with ease too.

Yeah, very concerned since it is my business.

Im especially concerned since Ive learned from Joe Rogan that the weight cut will mean his brain wont have any fluids so when he gets hit it will bounce around inside the skull much more violently. Maybe he will even get burns on his brain from the rough, dry skull rubbing slightly against it just from walking around during the last part of cutting weight.

It's pretty insane that this guy fought at 155 which is basically his walkaround weight.

You got guys out there killing themselves and cutting 30 pounds to make a division they don't belong in.

Frankie could have fought at 135 pounds his entire career if he wanted to but chose to fight at his natural weight.

<RomeroSalute>

Lol damn. Is there a weight class Edgar hasn’t fought in? He has a ton of heart but it may be time to call it a day.

It's pretty insane that this guy fought at 155 which is basically his walkaround weight.

You got guys out there killing themselves and cutting 30 pounds to make a division they don't belong in.

Frankie could have fought at 135 pounds his entire career if he wanted to but chose to fight at his natural weight.

<RomeroSalute>
Real talk. I hope the cut goes well, Frankie is always game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back