When Is Shogun Going to Retire?

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shogun, now 37, is currently a solid 4-1 in his last five fights, with his lone loss coming against future title challenger Anthony Smith. Despite this recent success, he has confirmed to MMA Fighting that he intends to retire, and retire soon.

“My wife and my mom are rough,” Shogun said. “I have two fights left. It’s true now. I face every fight I have as if it were my last. I don’t know if there’s going to be another one after Paul Craig, so this is how I see it right now.

“People keep asking me why I don’t stop fighting. I’ll stop when I want to stop. I’m the only athlete to win the UFC and PRIDE titles. I’m in the UFC Hall of Fame. I’m financially set. I’ll stop when I want to stop.

“I’ll stop when I don’t have the same physical condition and the same reflexes. I don’t mind the questions, but that’s too personal, you know? I still do great in sparring.

“I don’t think I’m too old for this. I’m young; I’m 37. Demian (Maia) is 42 and just reached his prime recently. Same for (Fabricio) Werdum. ‘Jacare’ (Souza) is 40. There are a lot of fighters around that age still doing well, and I’m younger than them. I know that if I stop now, I might regret [it] in a few years. So I’d rather fight a bit more and then stop for good.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/shogun-rua-lays-out-clear-retirement-plans-ahead-of-ufc-sao-paulo/

Shogun, now 37, is currently a solid 4-1 in his last five fights, with his lone loss coming against future title challenger Anthony Smith. Despite this recent success, he has confirmed to MMA Fighting that he intends to retire, and retire soon.

“My wife and my mom are rough,” Shogun said. “I have two fights left. It’s true now. I face every fight I have as if it were my last. I don’t know if there’s going to be another one after Paul Craig, so this is how I see it right now.

“People keep asking me why I don’t stop fighting. I’ll stop when I want to stop. I’m the only athlete to win the UFC and PRIDE titles. I’m in the UFC Hall of Fame. I’m financially set. I’ll stop when I want to stop.

“I’ll stop when I don’t have the same physical condition and the same reflexes. I don’t mind the questions, but that’s too personal, you know? I still do great in sparring.

“I don’t think I’m too old for this. I’m young; I’m 37. Demian (Maia) is 42 and just reached his prime recently. Same for (Fabricio) Werdum. ‘Jacare’ (Souza) is 40. There are a lot of fighters around that age still doing well, and I’m younger than them. I know that if I stop now, I might regret [it] in a few years. So I’d rather fight a bit more and then stop for good.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/shogun-rua-lays-out-clear-retirement-plans-ahead-of-ufc-sao-paulo/

Whenever he wants to , why is it your business?

Yeah he's Shogun, he's still doing okay, as long as he keeps winning and still enjoys it he can keep at it as long as he wants.

If he loses to Paul Craig it's time to call it a day, though.

After he regains the LHW title.

Nogueira is the only one to win pride and ufc titles.

He will probably retire after his last fight TS.

In terms of mileage, Shogun's probably one of the oldest fighters still active. Hope he wins the next one.

Hope they give Shogun the Hendo treatment and give him a shot if he wins tomorrow or after this next win. Would be nice to see him in a big fight like that one last time.

Good way to look at it, he's just taking it fight by fight.

Nogueira is the only one to win pride and ufc titles.

Wasn't Nog's UFC one an interim?

EDIT: I know Shogun won a tournament, and not an official championship, but wasn't Arona the champ at the time? Who Shogun hammer-fisted into oblivion to win the tournament.

He told his wife that he has two fights left

HESRl7l.gif

War Shogun! I won't ever root against that guy, a legit bad ass.

Wasn't Nog's UFC one an interim?

EDIT: I know Shogun won a tournament, and not an official championship, but wasn't Arona the champ at the time? Who Shogun hammer-fisted into oblivion to win the tournament.

Nog's was an interim. But most consider him the actual HW champ and the time because it was a different scenario with Couture as champ. We have cases where Interims are placed for the champ being injured a long time or just cause the UFC wants a title fight to headline (Poirier vs Holloway). But in this case with Couture, he didn't want to fight in the UFC and wanted out of his contract. Nog won the interim belt and then defended it vs Mir.

Arona beat Wanderlei in the same GP, actually the same night but it wasn't a title fight. In Pride they consider a GP a title win, they give em a belt. They don't defend it.

Nog's was an interim. But most consider him the actual HW champ and the time because it was a different scenario with Couture as champ. We have cases where Interims are placed for the champ being injured a long time or just cause the UFC wants a title fight to headline (Poirier vs Holloway). But in this case with Couture, he didn't want to fight in the UFC and wanted out of his contract. Nog won the interim belt and then defended it vs Mir.

Arona beat Wanderlei in the same GP, actually the same night but it wasn't a title fight. In Pride they consider a GP a title win, they give em a belt. They don't defend it.

Unsuccessfully defended it vs Mir. But he later beat Couture, who was the actual champ at the time. So yeah, funny situation. Was still technically only an interim champ though.

Unsuccessfully defended it vs Mir. But he later beat Couture, who was the actual champ at the time. So yeah, funny situation. Was still technically only an interim champ though.

The Mir loss doesn't count cause he had a staff infection ;);) And the second Mir fight doesn't count either cause he KO'd Mir, the fight wasn't stopped and Herb Dean told him to give up the punching and move. <Moves>

Technically he was the interim champ, yah. Randy came back just in time.

Pretty crazy how he's 4-1 with no chin at all. Just shows how bad the LHW division is.

Remember when he got subbed by Chael Fucking Sonnen. I'm a fan of both guys but did not see that one coming. Still throws me a curve when I think of it

Back