Greg Hardy Proved Against Volkov He Belongs in the UFC (But Is He A-Level?)

Is Hardy A-Level?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kevin Iole:

volkov-hardy.jpg

Putting aside the legal, ethical and moral considerations, there hasn’t been much of a discussion about whether Hardy belongs in the UFC purely from a competitive standpoint. The narrative is always that he’s this elite athlete who has the ability to morph into some sensational sort of fighter the likes of which the world hasn’t yet seen.

But after Hardy’s competitive unanimous decision loss to Alexander Volkov on Saturday in Moscow, it’s a good time to look at where Hardy stands in the UFC. Hardy is 5-2 with a no-contest in his eight MMA bouts, two of which were on DWCS and the other five of which were in the UFC.

. . .

We can probably learn more from his loss to Volkov, who entered their bout ranked No. 7 at heavyweight, than from any of his other fights combined.

. . .

What is notable is that while Volkov clearly won all three rounds of the fight, he never hurt Hardy or threatened him with a submission. So, Hardy wasn’t overmatched; he wasn’t nearly as good as Volkov, but it’s not as if he was out of place.

We didn’t see any of the power, speed, quickness and explosion we were led to believe were hallmarks of Hardy’s game. While Volkov didn’t rock him, it’s important to note that neither did Hardy threaten Volkov. He didn’t seem especially fast or quick, and we didn’t see that crushing shot that could have turned the fight around.

. . .

Hardy proved against Volkov that he belongs in the UFC. He was competitive with an elite opponent and was not overmatched in any way. While some have alleged that he was gifted his spot because of his notoriety as an NFL player, he’s since earned it. But there is a huge difference between being good enough to fill a spot on the roster and to be good enough to win a championship.

And that’s where my hesitation comes with Hardy. I haven’t been expecting him to look great, necessarily; I have been expecting to see this explosion, the athleticism and the power we have all been led to believe is lurking somewhere within.

Until Volkov, he’s been matched more than favorably and he hasn’t shown those traits in those fights. You would expect that while experience would cause him problems, his physical traits would be on display.

. . .

I’m not sure, though, that we’re looking at anything more than a decent, mid-level heavyweight. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s far from the MMA equivalent of all-pro. He’s beyond the practice squad body at this point, but it seems unlikely he’s ever going to be an impact performer in MMA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/after-a-co...es-greg-hardy-stand-in-the-ufc-205804638.html

Last edited:
I think Hardy has some confidence issues, which is normal for a guy with not a lot of experience.
He knew that Volkov was the hardest test of his career and everyone was talking about how he had little chance of winning. It was also clear that Volkov wouldn't get bullied or intimidated, so Hardy fought not to lose instead of trying for his big power shots.
He could develop into a decent heavyweight, might even crack the top 10 but he's not there yet. Champion? I don't know if he'll ever get so far but it's heavyweight so you never know.

Derrick Lewis is top 10 and basically Greg hardy with more training and less athleticism

No Hardy realized that the less you do, the better chance you have of going the distance at HW.

He basically became Derrick Lewis, except less violent (in-cage I mean).

Last edited:
We're lucky to have greg hardy, a prime nfl "A level athlete" in the ufc, and we saw what he can do.
He started training mma in 2016.
He's got 2 wins, 2 losses, and 1 no contest.

Kevin Iole:

volkov-hardy.jpg

Putting aside the legal, ethical and moral considerations, there hasn’t been much of a discussion about whether Hardy belongs in the UFC purely from a competitive standpoint. The narrative is always that he’s this elite athlete who has the ability to morph into some sensational sort of fighter the likes of which the world hasn’t yet seen.

But after Hardy’s competitive unanimous decision loss to Alexander Volkov on Saturday in Moscow, it’s a good time to look at where Hardy stands in the UFC. Hardy is 5-2 with a no-contest in his eight MMA bouts, two of which were on DWCS and the other five of which were in the UFC.

. . .

We can probably learn more from his loss to Volkov, who entered their bout ranked No. 7 at heavyweight, than from any of his other fights combined.

. . .

What is notable is that while Volkov clearly won all three rounds of the fight, he never hurt Hardy or threatened him with a submission. So, Hardy wasn’t overmatched; he wasn’t nearly as good as Volkov, but it’s not as if he was out of place.

We didn’t see any of the power, speed, quickness and explosion we were led to believe were hallmarks of Hardy’s game. While Volkov didn’t rock him, it’s important to note that neither did Hardy threaten Volkov. He didn’t seem especially fast or quick, and we didn’t see that crushing shot that could have turned the fight around.

. . .

Hardy proved against Volkov that he belongs in the UFC. He was competitive with an elite opponent and was not overmatched in any way. While some have alleged that he was gifted his spot because of his notoriety as an NFL player, he’s since earned it. But there is a huge difference between being good enough to fill a spot on the roster and to be good enough to win a championship.

And that’s where my hesitation comes with Hardy. I haven’t been expecting him to look great, necessarily; I have been expecting to see this explosion, the athleticism and the power we have all been led to believe is lurking somewhere within.

Until Volkov, he’s been matched more than favorably and he hasn’t shown those traits in those fights. You would expect that while experience would cause him problems, his physical traits would be on display.

. . .

I’m not sure, though, that we’re looking at anything more than a decent, mid-level heavyweight. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s far from the MMA equivalent of all-pro. He’s beyond the practice squad body at this point, but it seems unlikely he’s ever going to be an impact performer in MMA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/after-a-co...es-greg-hardy-stand-in-the-ufc-205804638.html
A level Athlete is a subjective myth.
Some of the greatest athletes of all time would not be considered "A Level" by some dudes on here.
Like Roger Federer. The greatest Tennis Player of all time and one of the most accomplished and dominant athletes ever.
Dude isn't built at all and would probably do horrifically on something like the NFL Combine .
Tom Brady actually has below average numbers on the combine as well, yet he is the most accomplished American football player ever as well.

Greg's alright, but he'll never be a worldbeater. There's more to athleticism than being strong and fast.

He honestly seems uncoordinated to me.

No Hardy realized that the less you do, the better chance you have of going the distance.

He basically became Derrick Lewis, except less violent (in-cage I mean).

Yes because he's so violent outside of the cage now, isn't he? Conor rapes women and beats up old men outside of the cage, have you posted something like this about him?

Last edited:
The main people who get triggered by the A-level meme are the ones who got stuffed into lockers by football jocks in high school

or non-Americans who just hate American football

Yes because he's so violent outside if the cage isn't he? Conor rapes women and beats up old men outside of the cage, have you posted something like this about him?
Look man I knew if I didn’t put that there, everyone would make jokes.

From his first UFC fight to his match vs. Volkov there have been obvious & significant improvements.

He was in there with the biggest test of his career so far & on relatively short notice. There's also the fact that he injured his hand, haven't anything since about how sserious it was. Taking all that into consideration & he's doing very well for this stage of his MMA career.

But he's upset all the idiots on here who have been blabbering on about A-Level athletes with a day training mma would be UFC champ.

A level Athlete is a subjective myth.
Some of the greatest athletes of all time would not be considered "A Level" by some dudes on here.
Like Roger Federer. The greatest Tennis Player of all time and one of the most accomplished and dominant athletes ever.
Dude isn't built at all and would probably do horrifically on something like the NFL Combine .
Tom Brady actually has below average numbers on the combine as well, yet he is the most accomplished American football player ever as well.
I really don't think you understand what athleticism is, or what is being discussed here.

AGRESSION is what modern day MMA is missing.

Now, if we had a little Japanese guy with a camera attatched to his head, screaming < AK-SHUN ! > every now and then, that could change.

Just throwin that out there, Dana...

Was Hardy hurt vs Volkov or not? His right hand/wrist?

The division has as much depth as a swimming pool for toddlers, so yes he's top 10.
The issue with a lack of top 10 talent is that the top 5 generally are the only fighters anyone gets to know as they are always fighting each other and new blood rarely gets in the mix. Greg Hardy is not top 5 and I don't see him getting there until the others retire.

It's HW A Level athleticism is not required...

3-round fight
Different elevation
Different climate
Different continen

Volkov couldn't finish a one handed Hardy he had to point fight him to a decision, is Volkov a A level athlete...?

Back