UFC skipping a New Years card?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Looking ahead for the rest of 2019 and early 2020, this is what appears to be left for the next couple of months. Looks like there will be a 3 week break in action after this weekend, and then an unprecedented month long break during Christmas all the way out to mid January 2020. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them go a month without a card.

The last PPV card of the year features the Usman vs Colby WW title fight.

November 16 • UFC on ESPN+ 22 • Sao Paulo, Brazil

December 7 • UFC on ESPN 9 • Washington, DC

December 14 • UFC 245 • Las Vegas, Nevada

December 21 • UFC on ESPN+ 23 • Busan, South Korea

Jan 18, 2020 • UFC 246 • Las Vegas, Nevada

Jan 25, 2020 • UFC on ESPN+ • Unknown

I saw in another thread it's an ESPN decision. Have they got something major on over the new year period?

I for one, know what the UFC athletes are getting in their stocking stuffers this year:

RxAqz4s.jpg

(Must be redeemed by end of 2019)

I have heard guys talk about it in a podcast, it's because usually ESPN has big events planned to cover for the New Year's eve. Retrospectives, or special events. I dont know since I don't follow US sports and I am not in the US but I suppose you guys usually have special play offs in basket ball or football, I dont know.

Sherdoggers: TOO MANY CARDS :mad:

Also sherdoggers: 3 weeeeeekks??????

oh-come-on-id523c.jpg

It's because of College Football Bowl Games and the final stretch of the NFL season when playoff seedings are determined and Saturday games happen. So yes, it's an ESPN decision.

Dana said recently that they aren't doing those shows anymore. Maybe from an after fight presser but i'm not looking for a source so deal with it.

ha ha, is that a picture of the expert mma analyst and singer/songwriter?

I love that guy. Especially that one video where he walks from his trailer to his landlord's garage while he films himself complaining about something.

Oh wait, that's all his videos.

wtf this sucks.
I might be in the minority but I love a card every weekend.

ha ha, is that a picture of the expert mma analyst and singer/songwriter?

I love that guy. Especially that one video where he walks from his trailer to his landlord's garage while he films himself complaining about something.

Oh wait, that's all his videos.

no, that’s Dana White you goof

New Year's Day is a huge college football day (though less-so than it used to be), and obviously people are busy on New Year's Eve. I assume there are two Saturday NFL games the weekends before and after, and those are usually pushed to later-than-usual time slots, so the later game might conflict with a normal UFC start-time.

Still seems like a missed opportunity. If they were willing to run a Sunday card, the NFL games would be over, and ESPN could be promoting the hell out of it during the non-stop college bowl games they show during that time of year. Running a show on Jan. 5th would seem ideal. The NFL wild-card games are divided between networks, but ESPN should have at least one of the games on Jan. 4th/5th, which would provide even more promotion. And in a best-case-scenario, they get the late Sunday game which would almost be a direct lead-in.

Last edited:
Back