"Most casuals didn’t know who Jorge Masvidal was before the Diaz fight. Many still don’t. "

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Recently, it was revealed that Jorge Masvidal's payout for UFC 244 was very subpar (to put it nicely) for a pro combat sport athlete.

Then, when fans start talking about the problem, I keep seeing this counter argument getting passed around on Sherdog, by a few, as if it's a fact:

"Most casuals didn’t know who Jorge Masvidal was before the Diaz fight. Many still don’t. "

I'm not sure if this is part of the UFC's viral marketing team (aka paid shills) to downplay fighter's bargaining power, but it needs to be called out as total BS!

Jorge Masvidal is very well-known among casual fight fans, on Youtube, due to his backyard Kimbo Slice fights. This is one of many videos of a young Masvidal back in the days doing backyard MMA, and it has 11 million views:

The UFC shills need to stop with this downplaying the fighter's real value, you're not fooling anybody!
<[analyzed}>

If you agree and want to show supports for the fighters, hit the like button
1f447.png

Last edited:
Is it your money? Do you know the fighters personally? Suredawggers are the first motherfuckers to whine about fighter pay but they're the first to let you know they stream everything illegally and ESPN+ is shit, as well as the UFC. Awesome.

Most casuals I talk to only know him from knocking out Askren.

Does NY give out offical fighter pay? Link?

Recently, it was revealed that Jorge Masvidal's payout for UFC 244 was very subpar (to put it nicely) for a pro combat sport athlete.

Then, when fans start talking about the problem, I keep seeing this counter argument getting passed around on Sherdog, by a few, as if it's a fact:

I'm not sure if this is part of the UFC's viral marketing team (aka paid shills) to downplay fighter's bargaining power, but it needs to be called out as total BS!

Jorge Masvidal is very well-known among casual fight fans, on Youtube, due to his backyard Kimbo Slice fights. This is one of many videos of a young Masvidal back in the days doing backyard MMA, and it has 11 million views:

The UFC shills need to stop with this downplaying the fighter's real value, you're not fooling anybody!
<[analyzed}>

I'm a fucking casual and I know who Masvidal is.

I watched him in the past and thought he was a good fighter, but didnt think he was the world beater. I honestly see him winning the title and losing it very shortly. I will say that there are a ton of matchups for him that i would pay to see and i hope he is being paid well.

Does NY give out offical fighter pay? Link?

No they don't. Not that it would be accurate anyway as Masvidal likely got ppv points.

That won't stop ts from complaining that a fighter who wasn't even fighting a year ago only got paid millions of dollars for a fight.

Is it your money? Do you know the fighters personally? Suredawggers are the first motherfuckers to whine about fighter pay but they're the first to let you know they stream everything illegally and ESPN+ is shit, as well as the UFC. Awesome.
Gary?

<[analyzed}>

1f447.png

So I guess they should empty the wallet and sign Dada too? Masvidal is on a whopping 3 fight winning streak beating a beatable Till, and Diaz in the process. What he did to Askren was beautiful and I think that's why some people are getting carried away with themselves. He's not really that big of a deal as far as putting asses in seats. Nate made that fight not him.

The casuals don't need to know him, he still has millions of people that watched his fights with Ben and Nate, that is already enough to become a star in this sport imo.

<[analyzed}>

1f447.png

He was known but before he got to UFC he wasn't making any real money. Good to see him cashing in late in his career. I do want to see him lose to Colby or Usman. I just don't think he's better than either one of them. Bless Jorge for ending the Askren hype train.

All casuals know him from the Askren knockout which made the Diaz fight huge lol

Same CAN fanbase as the gswussies. They dont even know who jerry west is...

With all due respect Jorge is where he's at, not over or underrated. Real fans of the sport have known about him for a very long time... And he's always been a very well rounded fighter.

I can't forget about the Giblert fight, the Bendo fight, Rustam, Al Iaquinta etc... It's just he's gotten smarter and better. He is primed and taking a lot of risks. He is getting the crazy results he always pursued and plays more aggressive now. This is definitely a very special year for him and it seems there is more to come

...Masvidal is on a whopping 3 fight winning streak beating a beatable Till, and Diaz in the process...

There aren't many fighters in any combat sport can claim 3 - 0 vs 3 top 10's in 365 days much less a whopping 3 - 0 vs 3 top 10's all finishes by KO or TKO in less than a year.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
With all due respect Jorge is where he's at, not over or underrated. Real fans of the sport have known about him for a very long time... And he's always been a very well rounded fighter.

I can't forget about the Giblert fight, the Bendo fight, Rustam, Al Iaquinta etc... It's just he's gotten smarter and better. He is primed and taking a lot of risks. He is getting the crazy results he always pursued and plays more aggressive now. This is definitely a very special year for him and it seems there is more to come
Agreed, it’s interesting how much hype he’s generated in 2019 compared to him being in the ufc since like 2012 !?

<[analyzed}>

1f447.png

Are you his manager? stfu. He's getting paid good enough.

Just because other athletes get paid over the moon undeservingly, it doesn't mean that someone else should get paid just as much.

Back