Are Brawlers with KO power the absolute worst match up for strikers?

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In MMA and Boxing the truly elite brawlers seem to give anyone a hard time no matter the skill set between them which I find fascinating. There punches can come at weird and uneven angles which make them hard to predict or counter and going blow for blow with them is a bad idea. Rewatching some of Wilders matches before his upcoming fight and the way he’d just windmill through his opponents is hilarious and frightening at the same time.

How is a brawler not a striker?

Or you mean the flashy stuff?

df7t3N.gif

Ask Forrest Griffin. Andersson deserves no credit for the matrix shit he did. It was all Forrest. Props to Griffin.

No they are the easiest.

A wrestler with sneaky striking is the worst match up.

In MMA brawlers can certainly be more dangerous due to the variables involved. In boxing guys like Chris Leben would get chewed up.

Wilder has decent technical abilities, he's no sloppy brawler. He gets carried away though when he smells blood.

Completely depends on the striker. Some strikers pray on that kind of fighter. There are different kinds of strikers. Counter strikers, "boxers", boxer-puncher, swarmers, out fighters, etc and different combinations of them.

A good counter puncher loves a guy who just wants to come forward and exchange and is willing to go first. They prey on brawlers.

An out fighter who isn't that good off the back foot might hate to fight a brawler because he's going to close the distance without fear and continually push them backwards.

Wilder isn't a brawler. He gets sloppy at times but for the most part he's an out fighter who wants to throw 1-2s to set up his devastating right hand. Maybe you could put him in the boxer-puncher category because his punch selection is a bit wider than it used to be, but his bread and butter is the long right.

Completely depends on the striker. Some strikers pray on that kind of fighter. There are different kinds of strikers. Counter strikers, "boxers", boxer-puncher, swarmers, out fighters, etc and different combinations of them.

A good counter puncher loves a guy who just wants to come forward and exchange and is willing to go first. They prey on brawlers.

An out fighter who isn't that good off the back foot might hate to fight a brawler because he's going to close the distance without fear and continually push them backwards.

Wilder isn't a brawler. He gets sloppy at times but for the most part he's an out fighter who wants to throw 1-2s to set up his devastating right hand. Maybe you could put him in the boxer-puncher category because his punch selection is a bit wider than it used to be, but his bread and butter is the long right.
Beautiful post.

Before I sign up to a brawling gym I make sure the brawling black belt instructor has legit brawling lineage

Depends they dont do well against counter punchers, but they do on general against pressure strikers with bad defence

A truly elite brawler doesn't exist, otherwise he would just be a truly elite striker. See what McNuggets did to elite brawler Eduardo Alvarez

Just look at Phil Baroni's record. That's a brawler right there.

"truly elite brawler" bad matchup for "striker"...?

Wtf is going on here?
I could be wrong, but the best comparison I can come up with that most guys who have been around awhile would understand would be someone like Anderson Silva vs someone like Tank Abbott if they were in the same weight class.

Prime Anderson Silva made every top striker look like an amateur

In MMA and Boxing the truly elite brawlers seem to give anyone a hard time no matter the skill set between them which I find fascinating. There punches can come at weird and uneven angles which make them hard to predict or counter and going blow for blow with them is a bad idea. Rewatching some of Wilders matches before his upcoming fight and the way he’d just windmill through his opponents is hilarious and frightening at the same time.

Yeah, science would say so

Back