Jorge's 244 payout is a horrible look for the UFC

Trifick

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was listening to a boxing show on sirius xm called Ak and Barak. Neither of these guys watch MMA and hardly know anything about it. But when a caller asked about Jorge calling out Canelo and asked why MMA fighters always do this, Barak said " When you're the biggest name in your sport and you're only making 500,000, of course you're going to call out boxers who make 15 mil in one night." This struck me. A guy who doesn't even follow MMA knows what's in these guys' pockets.

Does Dana not understand that this is just bad optics? You want to be taken seriously as a top org when women soocer players get paid more than your champs? Doesn't mean you have to pay everyone millions, but pay your top guys. Two of your biggest stars on the biggest stage of the year. Pathetic.

He’s 12-6 in the UFC and was unknown to casuals a year ago. Lol at “biggest name in the sport.” If you asked 100 people on the street who he was two would maybe know.

Another one of these "What they are paid" thread.

Nothing against you TS (You're an awesome poster here) but don't take any notice of people who think they know what fighters are and aren't being paid.

Even the shit in the media is not accurate and bullshit and it's all to do with either a narrative or creating an image.

This is not the stuff that would ever be legitimately discussed, specially to the public.

All these things such as pay and contracts and things like that are all highly confidential, some dude on a radio show definitely doesn't know what they are or aren't being paid neither do we.

It's like when you see those Net Worth things online too, they are all bullshit and made up figures which are more times than not massively exaggerated also.

I'd take no notice of things like this :)

Edit: Just to add Jorge has said numerous times before the fight he is being paid well and is very happy with the pay also, he also said a lot of fighters would be jealous if they knew the amount he was being paid (which obviously he didn't disclose) :)

Masvidal is nowhere near the biggest name in MMA.

That said, you do have a point.

jorge said he doesnt even know whats he getting after the ppv yet. fake news this is

He’s 12-6 in the UFC and was unknown to casuals a year ago. Lol at “biggest name in the sport.” If you asked 100 people on the street who he was two would maybe know.

Exactly. How many boxers can lose 6 times and then become a star after 2 wins against guys that are not even top ranked or stars themselves?, and then have a superstar fight against another guy that isn't a top guy?

Boxing has a higher apex, but the mountain is very very steep... You're either a bum or a millionaire in boxing.

Nothing stopping Masdival becoming a boxer and making 15mil if its so easy

Most casuals didn’t know who Jorge was before the Diaz fight. Many still don’t.

jorge said he doesnt even know whats he getting after the ppv yet. fake news this is

Yep, this is from the PPV cut though, he's already had a huge contract pay for the fight, this is the bonus stuff haha

Imagine making a thread based off of what some radio show host said.

Masvidal hasn't even been payed yet. For the UFC 244 PPVs. He said during an interview yesterday that it takes the UFC 30-35 days to calculate all this shit.

Quit trying to stir shit, TS.

He has 1m Ig followers. Guy is a 50/50 journeyman who will fall back into irrelevance when he’s not fighting overrated fighters like Diaz and askren

You are paid by your economic productivity, and your labor is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

That doesn't correlate perfectly with being a bad ass, being a great fighter, etc...there are plenty of examples people can think of where fighter A was better than fighter B but got paid less because he was less economically productive.

Dana gets away with it. When a capitalist monopoly gets away with it, don't expect change any time soon.

I mean, Maycee Barber bought herself this after a fight recently too.

Canelo doesnt make 15 million a night. Hes no bum. He makes 33 million dollars from his DAZN-money alone, no matter who he fights.

I was listening to a boxing show on sirius xm called Ak and Barak. Neither of these guys watch MMA and hardly know anything about it. But when a caller asked about Jorge calling out Canelo and asked why MMA fighters always do this, Barak said " When you're the biggest name in your sport and you're only making 500,000, of course you're going to call out boxers who make 15 mil in one night." This struck me. A guy who doesn't even follow MMA knows what's in these guys' pockets.

Does Dana not understand that this is just bad optics? You want to be taken seriously as a top org when women soocer players get paid more than your champs? Doesn't mean you have to pay everyone millions, but pay your top guys. Two of your biggest stars on the biggest stage of the year. Pathetic.
Let's do some (admittedly unrealistic) math. Apparently in 2017 the ufc made 700 million dollars. In gross revenue. There are 11 champs including WMMA (lol I know). Let's say each of them fights twice a year. That's 22 championship bouts not including interim etc. At 15 million a fight, champion salaries eat up half the gross revenue. That's before the ufc pays taxes, expenses, back office salaries, and oh yeah the other 580 fighters on the roster.

500k for Masvidal sounds about right, don't know what the issue is.

I don't know why people always cry about how much fighters are getting paid

500k is a pretty good amount of money to make for a fight

The 500k are fake news without reliable source.
He would get ppv points on top anyway

Jorge maybe got 500k to show, but that ppv bonus money is gonna be 7 figures no doubt. Plus he probably gets a better contract for his next fight. Not that I give a fuck about fighters salary but it’s always a big subject in sports ?

Back