How do you get a fight in Japan?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If an American or Canadian fighter wants to become a name in Japan and not in the UFC, how do they go about it?

For example, Rory and Fernandez are both from Vancouver. Rory fought in the UFC but left because its turning in to sports entertainment.

My question is, can you make a living by fighting in Japan or is UFC in modern era the only best option when it comes to make a name and a living for yourself?

by joining whatever organization is currently in japan. oh, and having some crazy goofball gimmick helps.

Try this

ShimmeringAcclaimedBlackandtancoonhound-size_restricted.gif

If an American or Canadian fighter wants to become a name in Japan and not in the UFC, how do they go about it?

For example, Rory and Fernandez are both from Vancouver. Rory fought in the UFC but left because its turning in to sports entertainment.

My question is, can you make a living by fighting in Japan or is UFC in modern era the only best option when it comes to make a name and a living for yourself?
Askren made good money fighting cans in Asia. That and the combined twitter warrior presence he had was good for him. He teaches wrestling as well. Successful and smart dude that fooled everybody and himself into thinking he was the best. He got paid well in One FC.

Know a Japanese promoter in the west coast scene and fight in a lower weight class. Its how my friends got fights.

If you win a local belt and have a decent record a good chance you can get flown out to a lesser populated division for a Pancrase fight.
As for making a living. Most fighters usually have other gigs and such to keep them afloat or can do well off privates. Japan does pay better though even in orgs that are not Rizin. I know guys who fought in Pancrase/DEEP and they got a prettier penny than any local show or undercard of Bellator
RIZIN pays very well according to Ian McCall.

Proving yourself in the states first seems like the best idea to me.

You're 19 years too late.

What about Sengoku?

Pancrase is still around.

by joining whatever organization is currently in japan. oh, and having some crazy goofball gimmick helps.

I can be the sambo kid.

this too. pride is done.

Pancrase is still around bro!

Try what? Pass by a carwash place and hope to get hosed or work in a car wash place and hose the other dude.

Askren made good money fighting cans in Asia. That and the combined twitter warrior presence he had was good for him. He teaches wrestling as well. Successful and smart dude that fooled everybody and himself into thinking he was the best. He got paid well in One FC.

One FC is a good choice. Askren created a fanbase before coming to the UFC.

By being way more polite than the next one can ever be

So don't act like Conor?

Know a guy in rizin who said that you have to dominate the regionals.

Fighting in bellator is easier and better for you career wise though tbh.

Pay the yakuza.

Marukin_at_Sanja_Matsuri_3.jpg

MMA in Japan died for a bit. Aoki being an unlikeable socially awkward sperg killed Dream. RIZIN is bringing back MMA with a bang over there. RIZIN is more popular than dream already and is slowly building up a bigger level of fighters.

Know a Japanese promoter in the west coast scene and fight in a lower weight class. Its how my friends got fights.

If you win a local belt and have a decent record a good chance you can get flown out to a lesser populated division for a Pancrase fight.
As for making a living. Most fighters usually have other gigs and such to keep them afloat or can do well off privates. Japan does pay better though even in orgs that are not Rizin. I know guys who fought in Pancrase/DEEP and they got a prettier penny than any local show or undercard of Bellator
RIZIN pays very well according to Ian McCall.

I think that's the move. Japanese are more respectful and its more old school in terms of less twitter tough guys. Or if there is well at least you have no idea what there saying.

Know a guy in rizin who said that you have to dominate the regionals.

Fighting in bellator is easier and better for you career wise though tbh.

How many fights until Rizin?

Why is Bellator better?

Pay the yakuza.

Marukin_at_Sanja_Matsuri_3.jpg

They need to ease up on the soy sauce. Shit is filled with estrogen and sodium. They would have respectable physique with a better diet. Got to learn from Joe Diesel Riggs.

I think that's the move. Japanese are more respectful and its more old school in terms of less twitter tough guys. Or if there is well at least you have no idea what there saying.

How many fights until Rizin?

Why is Bellator better?

They need to ease up on the soy sauce. Shit is filled with estrogen and sodium. They would have respectable physique.
There is no set number of when you will get into rizin and such. If you are a good fighter in a org with people who are actually good and show interest in fighting in Rizin. They will want you.

So if you're tired of "sports entertainment" in MMA...you leave the UFC for Rizin or Bellator?

Lol.

Its not that. In Japan they are unapologetic about it. But with UFC, they keep saying its a real sport but then they put on freakshows too. I respect Japan for them being upfront.

this too. pride is done.

Rizin's making some moves here and there. They got Floyd vs Tenshin, and they've got (imo) THE prettiest, most exciting female mma fighter out there right now, Rena. It'll take a few years but they might end up doing some things. Especially with Coker working with them when he can. And Coker's been smart about poaching up the UFC guys that want to leave WME. It could all come together in the next few years. I'm really hoping it does. MMA desperately needs a new flavor besides the UFC again.

Just show up in a diaper and cowboy boots and you'll have work in no time. Some sort of insect mask might help too.

Back