I've rewatched all of Jon Jones' fights since winning the title (controversial opinion inside)

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Before going to the gym, I watch fights on fight pass to get pumped. Needless to say, I'm running out of fights. In the last week, I've taken on all of Jon Jones fights since winning the title.

I really noticed something that people don't really talk about and I'm very confident in saying that this is my objective opinion, having rewatched these fights in a format where they aren't live and the suspense isn't quite as blinding.

Jon Jones is not an exciting fighter... at all.

I am starting to kick around the idea that early in his title reign, people only tuned in to watch him lose since that whole religious thing smelled like insincerity. Afterwards, he started to behave as most already thought he really was and he became a public degenerate. I would argue that this persona actually did wonders for his career because as an athlete, as dominant as he is, he is really not an exciting fighter. He is a point fighter on the feet who holds ridiculous physically advantages, but only occasionally even rocks people, let alone stops them.

On the ground he has his moments, but the level of action in a Jon Jones fight is nothing compared to Stipe, Adesanya, Holloway, Prime Anderson, Fedor, even Khabib in my opinion.

Do you agree? If you separate the person from the fight, do you think he would really be one of the bigger names in the UFC if it weren't for his actions outside the cage?

Before going to the gym, I watch fights on fight pass to get pumped. Needless to say, I'm running out of fights. In the last week, I've taken on all of Jon Jones fights since winning the title.

I really noticed something that people don't really talk about and I'm very confident in saying that this is my objective opinion, having rewatched these fights in a format where they aren't live and the suspense isn't quite as blinding.

I am starting to bounce around the idea that early in his title reign, people only tuned in to watch him lose since that whole religious thing smelled like insincerity. Afterwards, he started to behave as most already thought he really was and he became a public degenerate. I would argue that this persona actually did wonders for his career because as an athlete, as dominant as he is, he is really not an exciting fighter. He is a point fighter on the feet who holds ridiculous physically advantages, but only occasionally even rocks people, let alone stops them.

On the ground he has his moments, but the level of action in a Jon Jones fight is nothing compared to Stipe, Adesanya, Holloway, Prime Anderson, Fedor, even Khabib in my opinion.

Do you agree? If you separate the person from the fight, do you think he would really be one of the bigger names in the UFC if it weren't for his actions outside the cage?
In my opinion hes big for the same reason GSP was. Not so much for exciting fights, but for sheer dominance.

Also, I think a significant amount of people will hope he loses every fight which adds artificial excitement.

I've never found Jones all that exciting. But the fact that he keeps winning and a lot of the time it looks like he's barely trying is what makes him who he is.

What kind of drugs do you take before going to the gym?

Jones has a 64% finishing rate.

I am starting to bounce around the idea that early in his title reign, people only tuned in to watch him lose since that whole religious thing smelled like insincerity. Afterwards, he started to behave as most already thought he really was and he became a public degenerate. I would argue that this persona actually did wonders for his career because as an athlete, as dominant as he is, he is really not an exciting fighter. He is a point fighter on the feet who holds ridiculous physically advantages, but only occasionally even rocks people, let alone stops them.

He's popular for scalping legends and decent rivalries with dc and gus but ya most of his fights outside of those have been either boring or lackluster. That being said he has the physical attributes to be one of the best in the world. I still believe he gets dusted at heavyweight and it's the lack of punching power in the division keeping him afloat. Even still though heavyweight sucks and the man can bench 340 so tbh he probably just takes down most heavyweights and beats the hell out of them.

I'm not a big fan though. I think he stands in punching range too much and his reach is all he has boxing wise.

I've never found Jones all that exciting. But the fact that he keeps winning and a lot of the time it looks like he's barely trying is what makes him who he is.
Partly, but I think if his fighting style was identical to how it is now, but he conducted himself like Usman, no one would be interested in watching him fight.

I didn't say he didn't have finishes, I said he wasn't an exciting fighter.

Robbie doesn't finish everyone he fights, but he is an exciting action hero.

Don’t you people get tired of making these I hate Jones circle jerk threads.....it’s just amazing hw much he’s in sherdogers heads lol

He definitely likes to fight at a slow, methodical pace. It might be something an opponent can use to their advantage if they are able to push the fight. Easier said than done of course.

What? I think his dominance and vicious fighting style is very exciting!

The spinning elbow on bonnar?

Breaking Vera’s face?

Putting Lyoto to SLEEP!

Completely decimating Bader,Hamill, and shogun?

The crucifix on Matyushenko?!?

Elite level kicking. Elite level wrestling. Elite level ground & pound. Good boxing.

All combined makes for a fun fights to watch in my opinion. One of the reasons you think he is boring is he is just extremely good & dominate.

Watch his next fight. It will be exciting a vicious.

As much as I hate Jones

The problem with being the long reigning champ like him and GSP is that you're fighting the very best guys (#1 contenders most of the time) so you obviously won't be able to take as many chances or get as many finishes

You can throw Anderson as an outlier but he was a pure striker and fought a few cans or dudes clearly not on his stand-up level as well let's be honest

A serious response.

It's the fault of his opponents as much as anything else.

Nobody seems able to put him in danger and force him to do anything other than his game plan.

But he fights more than most champs, so the odds are good for somebody to push him to excitement soon.

I am starting to kick around the idea that early in his title reign, people only tuned in to watch him lose since that whole religious thing smelled like insincerity. Afterwards, he started to behave as most already thought he really was and he became a public degenerate. I would argue that this persona actually did wonders for his career because as an athlete, as dominant as he is, he is really not an exciting fighter. He is a point fighter on the feet who holds ridiculous physically advantages, but only occasionally even rocks people, let alone stops them.

I've been saying this shit for years

Havent you heard? Unless you KO guys EVERY SINGLE FIGHT, you're a boring point fighter.

Get with the times buddeh

I dont like Jones and think he isnt exciting to watch. However he keeps winning. Thats hard to dismiss. People will always be attracted by dominance either to side with the winner or hope that he finally loses.

I think a significant amount of people will hope he loses every fight which adds artificial excitement.
{<redford}

Sort of the same reason Anderson's fights were so exciting to me. Not because I wanted to see him lose, but because I wanted to see how he could be beaten. But after he lost, it sucked that he wasn't the same guy anymore.

It depends on what you consider exciting. Some people like back-and-forth brawls. Some people like flashy finishes. I, personally, like seeing a fighter meticulously pick apart and dominate his opponents on every level.

Back