Is Jorge Masvidal the fighter of the year?

BrazilPitbullUS

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I can't decide rather its Masvidal or Israel Adesanya for fighter of the year. Masvial capped it off with the BMF belt and became one of the most well liked fighters of the UFC in one year. Izzy definitely didn't become well liked but 3 wins similar to Masvidal and finshed it with a legit title in MW champion. Thoughts?

I can't decide rather its Masvidal or Israel Adesanya for fighter of the year. Masvial capped it off with the BMF belt and became one of the most well liked fighters of the UFC in one year. Izzy definitely didn't become well liked but 3 wins similar to Masvidal and finshed it with a legit title in MW champion. Thoughts?

Yeah, Izzy was expected to do great things. Jorge came back from nowhere with a beautiful head of hair and is cleaning house at 170.

960x0.jpg

BaggyCraftyCreature-max-1mb.gif

Till >silva
Diaz < whittaker
Gastelum > askren
Middleweight > bmf belt
5 second ko > left hook
But whittaker is better than askren so it's only fair to pick israel. Sorry.

Israel Adesanya. He accomplished more against better competition, and he reached the pinnacle of his division.

Jorge beat Darren Till (questionable UFC record), Ben Askren (UFC rookie), and Nate Diaz (a populist journeyman who has been beaten multiple times by even lesser fighters than Jorge Masvidal).

Jorge Masvidal is the populist fighter of the year. Israel Adesanya is more accomplished fighter of the year.

As far as who gained the most, I would say Masvidal. His career took off in a big way.

I think indisputably yes. It's similar to a Conor question and in assessing that type of stuff, we need to separate "greatest" from "best." So which is more important for "Fighter of the Year"? Personally, I think we should look at "greatest" as "best" potentially changes every card. Masvidal provided an easily top 3 greatest moment in UFC history. It will be remembered forever, even if Jorge goes on a 10 fight lose streak in random bum promotions. Askren also did his part to create that electrifying moment, by being Askren with his endless trash talk edited into KO clips across Youtube, by falling unconscious with one leg up in the air. It created the perfect storm for a "greatest" moment.

I remember thinking of many "greatest" moments in the two decades I've been watching UFC. But as the years go by, I forget my favorite ones until they show up in a highlight some years later. It's hard for me to even produce them in my head. One I can think of was watching Machida/Evans live and it felt like the greatest UFC moment ever. There have been tons of flashy, perfect KO's: Etim/Barboza comes to mind, but many start to fade away. But I will never for a second forget Masvidal's KO of Askren. Not just the technique, but the way Askren fell, his strange rigid position with a lifeless face, Masvidal tapping the ground along with the rest of his celebration, his hilarious interviews. Those moments are unforgettable. I probably watched it 100 times by now. The only one that comes close (for me) is Conor vs. Aldo. Similar buildup. Tons of hype and trash talk. But as dominant as Conor's 13 second KO was and how unbelievable it was at the time, somehow, SOMEHOW, Masvidal's was more dominant, more perfect, more memorable.

I can't even imagine what a "greater" moment in UFC would be. Even a 3 second KO surely would lack some other aspects, the buildup, the trash talk, how the KO'd fighter fell, who the winning fighter was, who the KO'd fighter was, the celebration, etc. I don't know if there'll ever be a greater, more dominant moment ever again.

So yes, I think Jorge is Fighter of the Year and to me it's not even close. No disrespect to Israel, but there have been many Israels over the decades. There have been very, very few Jorges.

Israel Adesanya. He accomplished more against better competition, and he reached the pinnacle of his division.

Jorge beat Darren Till (questionable UFC record), Ben Askren (UFC rookie), and Nate Diaz (a populist journeyman who has been beaten multiple times by even lesser fighters than Jorge Masvidal).

Jorge Masvidal is the populist fighter of the year. Israel Adesanya is more accomplished fighter of the year.
Excellent points.

Jorge and Izzy are a clear 1/2 for fighter of the year IMO.

Whichever one you want to have number 1 is fine by me.

How can you be fighter of the year when you didn’t win a world title?

I think indisputably yes. It's similar to a Conor question and in assessing that type of stuff, we need to separate "greatest" from "best." So which is more important for "Fighter of the Year"? Personally, I think we should look at "greatest" as "best" potentially changes every card. Masvidal provided an easily top 3 greatest moment in UFC history. It will be remembered forever, even if Jorge goes on a 10 fight lose streak in random bum promotions. Askren also did his part to create that electrifying moment, by being Askren with his endless trash talk edited into KO clips across Youtube, by falling unconscious with one leg up in the air. It created the perfect storm for a "greatest" moment.

I remember thinking of many "greatest" moments in the two decades I've been watching UFC. But as the years go by, I forget my favorite ones until they show up in a highlight some years later. It's hard for me to even produce them in my head. One I can think of was watching Machida/Evans live and it felt like the greatest UFC moment ever. There have been tons of flashy, perfect KO's: Etim/Barboza comes to mind, but many start to fade away. But I will never for a second forget Masvidal's KO of Askren. Not just the technique, but the way Askren fell, his strange rigid position with a lifeless face, Masvidal tapping the ground along with the rest of his celebration, his hilarious interviews. Those moments are unforgettable. I probably watched it 100 times by now. The only one that comes close (for me) is Conor vs. Aldo. Similar buildup. Tons of hype and trash talk. But as dominant as Conor's 13 second KO was and how unbelievable it was at the time, somehow, SOMEHOW, Masvidal's was more dominant, more perfect, more memorable.

I can't even imagine what a "greater" moment in UFC would be. Even a 3 second KO surely would lack some other aspects, the buildup, the trash talk, how the KO'd fighter fell, who the winning fighter was, who the KO'd fighter was, the celebration, etc. I don't know if there'll ever be a greater, more dominant moment ever again.

So yes, I think Jorge is Fighter of the Year and to me it's not even close. No disrespect to Israel, but there have been many Israels over the decades. There have been very, very few Jorges.
You just won the thread. lol I have to agree with you and I was leaning towards Masvidal but your very insightful analysis of it all just helped me put a lot of what I was thinking in your post. Thanks brother, I know what you mean about the Machida fight. I think even Rogan felt it when he said "welcome to the Machida era," right after the ko.

Adesanya has the best performance with his KO win over Whittaker.

Masvidal has the best and quickest rise. Dude became a legend in 8 months.

Cejudo is also in the running. Mollywhopping TJ and then winning the BW belt against Marlon while being like 5'2" is nuts.

Back