Amazing thing about Ben Askren

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
He's so slow. He must be the slowest high level wrestler ever. I mean, in wrestling, speed kills. You know, speed kills, explosiveness and all that.

I think that's what's so amazing about Ben. This guy is so slow, but he makes things work..

I don’t know shit about him really, but the way he shut down Robbie was pretty fucked up..I think it has most to do with his strength, understanding of leverage, and just super grip, crush stuff...we will see..

That's how his nickname is funky and also the reason why he would never smell gold.

He doesnt seem very athletic or explosive at all but maybe he operates on pure skill and technique.

Jake Shields seemed slow but I haven't seen him fight for years, so I might not remember correctly

He slows his opponents down

edit: except when his opponents are flying

I'm curious to see if he'll be slower after that ko.

Overrated,lima win its a fluke

How exactly was it a fluke, dude? Askren dominated Lima from start to finish for all five rounds.
20120406074706_top.JPG

He is very funky scrambling. That is his best part of his game. The scrambles are fucking amazing.

He doesnt seem very athletic or explosive at all but maybe he operates on pure skill and technique.

He’s at his best in scrambles, hence the nickname Funky, he’s got really funky rolls and a different rhythm to how he wrestles and has a workman like pace.

He’s easy to hit — other wrestlers have taken him down plenty but he’s like a cockroach and just keeps coming.

He’s a more skilled version of Jon Fitch. A tough out for anyone but he’s not champ material.

It's his crazy strength. Robbie looked looked weak once Ben got ahold of him.

Ben's wrestling and bjj skills are super effective because of how strong he is.

People who can't see this right now will have no doubts in their mind after the Maia fight.

Before lima prime, caught him early

OK. I agree with you that Lima is a better now than he was back then but that doesn't mean that Askren's victory over him was a fluke. Just that he was the better man at that stage of their careers. But, I see what you are saying. You think Lima beats Askren now. I think it would definitely be a more competitive match-up. I'll give you that.

he's one of those guys that if he gets a pinky finger on you he will stick to you like glue

He's probably strong as shit. That's usually the case when you see someone move slow and lumberly, yet they're able to still be effective.

I remember watching a guy in a wrestling match, and he was so slow I couldn't for the life of me understand how he was beating people. Then I wrestled him and it felt like I was wrestling The Hulk. Then I understood...

Last edited:
Back