Leon Edwards has a ton of potential but he doesn't use all of it cause he fights safe

Africa5876

The Last GenderBender (Usada approved)
Banned
Reaction score
If you go and watch his fight with RDA, there were some great moments where Edwards showed that he has some great reaction times (he caught rda's flying knee midair then slammed him, that's super impressive, don't have the clip tho.) He showed off some great elbows that could send people to sleep if he wanted to. Problem is, he doesn't wanna do that, he'd rather coast to a decision cause going for a finish is too risky for him. I understand where he's coming from, he's not comfortable fighting that way, but I think if he went for the finish more people would respect him but as it is, people only think of him as a boring fighter and the guy who was on the receiving end of the three piece and a soda.

His last performance was good but he won't be getting any fotn bonuses

P4P most boring fighter. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in a Sherdog thread imo.

Him and his brother are the kings of talking big and fighting small. Decision kings. That’s the difference between Edwards and the best WW in the game Jorge Masvidal: Masvidal puts his opponent to sleep and Edwards puts the crowd to sleep.

Him and his brother are the kings of talking big and fighting small. Decision kings. That’s the difference between Edwards and the best WW in the game Jorge Masvidal: Masvidal puts his opponent to sleep and Edwards puts the crowd to sleep.
Leon Edwards has a brother?

Fine with me. He’s rather win and make money while minimizing brain damage.

I for one am glad he makes his money without pleasing cucks who want to see him fail

Leon Edwards has a brother?
Yeah he fights in Bellator. This was like his best finish in his first fight. Now he’s a decision king. 8-0 middleweight
giphy.gif

Leon is a good fighter, but he doesn't have a name or impressive finishes to demand a title shot yet. It's a tough road for him still because he lacks personality and charisma. There's really no reason for anyone to fight him right now.
Would like to see him fight Woodley as a title eliminator, but Tyron shot that down, so the best fight for him is the loser of Covington/Usman, although would be nice to see him versus Masvidal after everything that went down in London.

P4P most boring fighter. Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in a Sherdog thread imo.
No doubt the guy is boring, but the guy is a very effective fighter. Very good jab and standup, very good wrestling. A solid chin (basically he didn't flinch when Masvidal landed those cheap shots).

Even when he fought with Kamaru Usman he got taken to the ground but he did manage to get up and had shown really good takedown defence aswell.

Not surprised Masvidal dosn't want to fight him. He would beat Masvidal.

Him and Woodley is the fight to make IMO. I don't see who else Edwards can fight right now. Woodley's coming off a loss but before that he was the most dominant champion since GSP. I believe Edwards has earned that shot and if he gets a finish over Woodley especially? That's huge.

Edwards is a damn good fighter, he doesn't have the most exciting style much like Colby and Usman but it's effective. The elbows he was landing on RDA in the clinch were brutal.

If you go and watch his fight with RDA, there were some great moments where Edwards showed that he has some great reaction times (he caught rda's flying knee midair then slammed him, that's super impressive, don't have the clip tho.) He showed off some great elbows that could send people to sleep if he wanted to. Problem is, he doesn't wanna do that, he'd rather coast to a decision cause going for a finish is too risky for him. I understand where he's coming from, he's not comfortable fighting that way, but I think if he went for the finish more people would respect him but as it is, people only think of him as a boring fighter and the guy who was on the receiving end of the three piece and a soda.

His last performance was good but he won't be getting any fotn bonuses

I agree. His fight w RDA is the first time I was impressed w his skills. His striking was sharp. He could be so much more but like you said, he's just unwilling to put it all out there and chooses to coast all the time.

I agree. His fight w RDA is the first time I was impressed w his skills. His striking was sharp. He could be so much more but like you said, he's just unwilling to put it all out there and chooses to coast all the time.
This style has allowed him to go on a 8 fight win streak. He's beaten some top fighters- RDA, Cerone, Gunner Nelson and Vincent Luque (you've seen how tough he is when he fought Plat Perry).
Would you be happy if, in the process of making himself more exciting, he exposed his chin and got knocked out a few times and suffered CTE? Just asking.

It works for him. He trains at AKA, works really hard. He seems to be improving his fight game each time. No wonder Masvidal wants nothing to do with him.

Yeah he fights in Bellator. This was like his best finish in his first fight. Now he’s a decision king. 8-0 middleweight
giphy.gif
ITS PERSONAL NOW! Masvidal better watch out.
Leon Edwards’ younger brother, Bellator middleweight Fabian Edwards, told MMA Fighting that Masvidal is “f*cked” if he ever sees him again:

“The thing that pissed me off about it was the way he walked over. He walked over calm; hands behind his back…and then he starts throwing punches knowing well that security was going to jump on it. I tried to smash his head in myself, but we had about 100 security guards between us, so I couldn’t get my hands on him.

“If I see that man again he’s f*cked. I probably won’t see him in the cage because he’s a different weight class to me, but if I see him outside I’m smashing him. It’s personal now.”

Actually he's won 5 of this last 8 fights via stoppages/knockouts or submission. Def not a decision king.

Back