Demian Maia campaining to fight none other than....

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
giphy.gif

mOj6Z19.gif

<JagsKiddingMe><{walkerwhut}>{<shrug}

Allrighty then....

https://esportes.yahoo.com/noticias...n-174837374.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

"He is a veteran and has good BJJ. True warrior. We have tried to get this fight before but seems like the UFC wasnt very interested, but i still am. Hope we can do it"

No wonder the UFC gave a hard pass on that one. This matchup doesnt make any sense.
I cant figure out why anyone in maia's position would campaign for it.

Yeah, "i'll watch", but there is nothing behind it. It leads none of the parties involved anywhere.

Both fighters are at the tail end of their careers. Neither is going to contend for a title. So it really doesn’t matter if they fight or not. If they do fight it’ll be strictly for entertainment purposes..

He's like the worst possible fighter that might actually kick Maia's ass

I wonder if for fighters it's like it is for an actor or a filmmaker, where you just wanted to do, say, a western, but never got around to it and now no one's making westerns. If some fights are like that, they were a possibility at a certain time and it intrigued you, but career went a different way and it makes no real sense to have that fight now, but you still dig it.

I'd watch. It'd be like a throwback from the "styles make fights" era, when not everyone just did variations of the same shit.

If Diego hadn't lost to Chiesa then suuure

If the Chiesa fight hadn't happened, then there might have been some interest in that matchup. Not anymore though, Diego can't hang with a bigger, stronger grappler.

It would go a lot like Maia Brown except Diego is better on the ground than Brown.

I guess given they are both past prime legends there is a certain cachet to it.

I want to see Sanchez vs Guida 2

Just wants an easy HL reel finish.

If Maia loses to Askren I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Maia only has 8-10 mins of cardio & lesser grapplers than Diego have survived that long.

I would take Diego in a 5 rounder. In 3 rounds he probably wins the 3rd but loses 29-27.

WTH Diego is TOO SMALL!

I like Maia but man I was sick to death of fighters calling out opponents two weight divisions below them 3 times ago... Just STOP!

Sounds like a fight you’d see headlining a Bellator PPV.

Maia saw how Chiesa handled Diego on the ground and wants to do the same.

giphy.gif

mOj6Z19.gif

<JagsKiddingMe><{walkerwhut}>{<shrug}

Allrighty then....

https://esportes.yahoo.com/noticias...n-174837374.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

"He is a veteran and has good BJJ. True warrior. We have tried to get this fight before but seems like the UFC wasnt very interested, but i still am. Hope we can do it"

No wonder the UFC gave a hard pass on that one. This matchup doesnt make any sense.
I cant figure out why anyone in maia's position would campaign for it.

Yeah, "i'll watch", but there is nothing behind it. It leads none of the parties involved anywhere.

He noted he wanted this fight for a long time.
It could have been when Diego entered the UFC by winning Ultimate FIghter over FLorian.
he was unbeaten and beat guys like Nick Diaz, Parisian or Riggs.

During those days, weight classes were not as set as today, and plenty of fighters moved around to test themselves.

It would have been a good clash of styles IMO.

It seems like everyone's calling out Diego lately. They should have fed him to James Vick as a WW tuneup fight.

Diego's BJJ positioning is great but Maia's BJJ is phenomenal everywhere.

Back