What does a win vs. Maia mean for Askren?

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Obviously there's a lot of people who, for whatever reason, feel he's not good enough to be in the UFC. To those people I would ask: what would a convincing win vs. Maia mean for Askren? Maia is a seasoned UFC fighter with a very respectable history...yeah he's lost 3 out of his last 5 fights but they were to Woodley, Colby, and Usman (all decisions BTW). If Askren submits Maia (something that either of those 3 failed to do), what does this say about Askren? Betting #'s aside, do you think Askren is the under-dog in this fight? On the flipside, what does a win vs. Askren do for Maia? IMO, not much...because if Maia wins convincingly then I think people will look back and see that Askren was indeed fool's gold and that win won't really mean as much. Seems like Askren has a lot more to gain going into this fight than Maia has. Are you rooting for either fighter or just for a good fight in general?

Beating an older guy who is on his way out doesn't do much for the resume' if you ask me. If he submits Maia, that would be impressive though.

What does a win vs. Maia mean for Askren?

It means he won't get cut from the UFC and laughed at the remainder of his life for being an over-hyped teddy bear.

he will still be considered a solid gatekeeper, which could mean a few more good paychecks before retirement

isn't it enough?

edited: I wrote it thinking about Maia, not Askren, but it strangely fells right this way too

If askren wins people will say maia is old and one dimensional. If he loses people will say askren has always sucked and is one dimensional.

Obviously there's a lot of people who, for whatever reason, feel he's not good enough to be in the UFC. To those people I would ask: what would a convincing win vs. Maia mean for Askren? Maia is a seasoned UFC fighter with a very respectable history...yeah he's lost 3 out of his last 5 fights but they were to Woodley, Colby, and Usman (all decisions BTW). If Askren submits Maia (something that either of those 3 failed to do), what does this say about Askren? Betting #'s aside, do you think Askren is the under-dog in this fight? On the flipside, what does a win vs. Askren do for Maia? IMO, not much...because if Maia wins convincingly then I think people will look back and see that Askren was indeed fool's gold and that win won't really mean as much. Seems like Askren has a lot more to gain going into this fight than Maia has. Are you rooting for either fighter or just for a good fight in general?
How he wins will be the key. How Maia fights also determines what a win by Askren would mean. They are both very good fighters, and though Maia is aging he proved he's a formidable top 10 guy still and very tough to beat. If...Askren shows good skills in the striking, submission games he may well move back into top ten status and get another big fight. If... he performs well.

If askren wins people will say maia is old and one dimensional. If he loses people will say askren has always sucked and is one dimensional.
Yep.
Honesty it’s a good fight for askren. Since Maia always wants to take it to the ground, and ben needs to take it to the ground... could get dicey.

I really would like Ben to win, but it seems Maia is the perfect opponent to stop him. I think Maia should be a favorite here, heavily.

I'm afraid this is true. Perhaps the UFC thinks throwing Maia to Askren is a softball so they can keep him relevant in the UFC. After all, the guy apparently attracts ratings. If, and I want to emphasizie IF Askren beats Maia, do you wanna see Askren fight next? (yeah yeah, i know I'm counting chickens before they had, get over it, this is a message board)

It means he should fight someone in or near the top 5 next.

It's more of a "reset" fight than a "movement" fight for Askren.

More avoiding a (low-level) disaster than really making a leap forward.

He wins this fight, probably two more meaningful wins in a row before a title shot becomes a possibility (and Dana will not do him any favors, so it could easily be more).

I'm afraid this is true. Perhaps the UFC thinks throwing Maia to Askren is a softball so they can keep him relevant in the UFC. After all, the guy apparently attracts ratings. If, and I want to emphasizie IF Askren beats Maia, do you wanna see Askren fight next? (yeah yeah, i know I'm counting chickens before they had, get over it, this is a message board)
The marty/colby loser. Stylistically askren actually has a decent chance against them.

Most casuals that hate on Ben seem clueless that he retired in 2017... He was getting huge paychecks can smashing in One FC and still called it quits. Primarily because of all the wear and tear on his body by his own admission. He has stated he is past his prime but a chance to finally enter the UFC lured him back to fighting.

That said, he clearly needs this win if he wants to remain relevant in the UFC. The loss to Masvidal while highlight reel quality I don't think it had much impact on his resume. Aldo got starched in 13 seconds by Conor but is still considered one of the greats and got title fights after that happened.

Hell Masvidal has what, 13 losses to date? He was considered a talented jobber a year ago and if he loses a couple more fights he will be right back where he started.

Maia is probably on the verge of retirement and I expect if Askren dominates him he will hang up the gloves. WW is wrestling heavy and Askren is a top level wrestler. He beats Maia and then rematches Lawler and wins that a case could be made for him to fight for the belt.

It's more of a "reset" fight than a "movement" fight for Askren.

More avoiding a (low-level) disaster than really making a leap forward.

He wins this fight, probably two more meaningful wins in a row before a title shot becomes a possibility (and Dana will not do him any favors, so it could easily be more).

I agree. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked (depending on how JM does in the next year) if Dana wants to pair them back up again. Who wouldn't want to see a rematch? I know who wouldn't: Masvidal and his fans. But some things would have to happen for both BA and JM for this fight to happen again.

Here's a question: would you rather see an Askren/Masvidal rematch or a Askren/Lawler rematch?

Here's a question: would you rather see an Askren/Masvidal rematch or a Askren/Lawler rematch?

I want to see both for different reasons. The Lawler fight so that the guys on this site that hate Askren will stop calling his first win a fluke (Robbie wasn't out! he was merely resting in a way that looked like he was unconcious!!!!)

And the Masvidal fight because it would be nice for someone to shut Masvidal up. that whole dumb thug thing is starting to grate on me. I still don't know why he didn't get some kind of sanction for taking shots at Edwards....

A win means he can keep fighting and collecting checks. He has an otherwise wholesome, and complete life out side of the UFC. I feel like we all understand this, but it warrants re-mentioning.

Even if Ben isn't in contention for the belt, there are still quite a few fun match ups that shouldn't have much, if any, animosity tied to them.

To the Ben haters, I don't know why you want to shit on him. I get just as bored watching a one sided grappling match, but you must always remember.. it's fucking funny watching somebody big brother a striker. Isn't that Khabib's schtick?

Nothing, other than win money.

If Askren wins it will be by taking Maia to the ground and controlling him there. Something the others avoided. Stylistically it's a hard fight for Askren. I dont think he has better stand up than Maia so he won't be looking to use defensive wrestling. He will have to be offensive with it.

If he wins it will be because Maia is old. If he loses it will be because he never was always overrated. He is in a lose/lose situation.

Back