Darren Till Says He Has Unfinished Business At Welterweight - Should Till be even talking about WW?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So Till is talking about possibly going back to WW which I'm really not sure about as this MW move seems the best for him. He's looked terrible on the scales in the past and I've never been convinced WW was the best place for Till even while he was beating people like Cerrone so even if he loses to Kelvin I do feel he should probably stick at MW (or a more comfortable weight class at least), however ...

Couple of quotes from the article.

“I still have unfinished business at welterweight,” Till said (via MMA Junkie). “So let me play out this next year. … I’m not looking past Kelvin, but let me see what happens this year.”

“I’ve still got a few names at welterweight who I want to take out, so it’s not impossible to go back down,” Till said. “I can do it. No one cuts weight like me … no one. So I can do it, to answer it. Really I have unfinished business.”

Source: https://www.lowkickmma.com/darren-till-has-unfinished-business-at-welterweight/

What do you guys think in regards to this? Should Till consider moving back to WW at all or do you feel that he was much better moving weight class to a more natural weight.

gettyimages-117179583412-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
He’s basically saying if he can’t beat the overweight WW Gastelum at 185 then he’s dropping back down to 170.

that’s what I’m interpreting, at least

He doesn't belong at welterweight. Period.
Hell, the guy could make light heavyweight, despite being on the smaller end of the division then.

He’s basically saying if he can’t beat the overweight WW Gastelum at 185 then he’s dropping back down to 170.

Possibly but even if that was the case is WW a good place, I dunno man I've always felt he didn't look great there at times.

Dan Hardy was saying this recently too in the Till vs Gastelum predictions and Kenny Florian has also said he looked terrible on the scales so the move is good, it's just finding the right weight class I guess.

Time stamped :)

He'd have a better chance at winning a belt at LHW than he does at making WW.

He doesn't belong at welterweight. Period.
Hell, the guy could make light heavyweight, despite being on the smaller end of the division then.

I agree, I mean even if MW isn't right for him going back to WW I'm unsure about.

I agree, I mean even if MW isn't right for him going back to WW I'm unsure about.
Hmm.. middleweight seems perfect for him, considering middleweights are often pretty big nowadays.
If his chin really was that "bad" at WW because of the weightcut, he might even make waves at MW - there's tons of very interesting matchups for sure!

I think Till might actually get cut if he loses this one

Hmm.. middleweight seems perfect for him, considering middleweights are often pretty big nowadays.
If his chin really was that "bad" at WW because of the weightcut, he might even make waves at MW - there's tons of very interesting matchups for sure!

I felt that too, the Gastelum fight is a huge fight to take so even if he loses it's really not a bad thing. He's only 26 but he at least needs to settle into a weight class he's much better in and I know we've to yet find out with MW it's surely much better than WW was because like we say he has looked terrible on the scales and he's talking about the weight cut in that quote too, I dunno lol

I think Till might actually get cut if he loses this one

I doubt he'll get cut, he's still a good fighter and a great British talent for the UK market, sure there's other good British fighters too and Till was pushed too fast and hyped etc.. but that aside the dude can fight and losing to Gastelum I don't think anyone will hold against him cause even Dana was saying "Are you sure you want us to make this fight" and Till was adamant for it, which they like too but I don't think he'll get cut :)

Look at the difference from the image in the OP to this.

UFC-Liverpool-Darren-Till-696x399.jpg

Darren Till Says He Has ‘Unfinished Business’ At Welterweight - Should Till even consider WW?

You fought the then Champ TWood and got finished @WW, Nah bro you finished down there...

Darren Till Says He Has ‘Unfinished Business’ At Welterweight - Should Till even consider WW?

You fought the then Champ TWood and got finished @WW, Nah bro you finished down there...

It reminds me of Kevin Lee in a way except he's been going between LW and WW however it seems like it's a case of finding your footing and what suits you best as a fighter where you can bring out the full potential, I felt that after the RDA fight Kevin Lee was talking about going back to LW because of the loss but honestly, I don't think that if your first fight in the new weight class happens to be a loss is a reason to go back or whatever, you have to at least get yourself settled in there and test the waters a little which they seem a little impatient with doing, hence why they end up jumping between weight classes throughout their career and not really getting anywhere if you get what I mean.

Till's talking about WW before he's even had his fight at MW but even if he loses to Kelvin I really don't think he should change weight class just yet, he's looking much better now too.

Better chances don't matter the guy isn't a championship level fighter.

I dunno man he's a good fighter, he was pushed and over hyped I agree and when it got to the big dogs it showed but you forget he's only 26.

If he found the right weight class and grew within that he could potentially get himself up there for sure, the problem is he wants to be up there now and doesn't want to work his way up which he's doing again with Gastleum now, if he worked on his craft more as he built his way up the divisions I have no reason to believe he couldn't be a title holder at some point.

But he needs to get himself to that level yet he seems to want to be there now without the build.

Back