*Can't imagine Maia losing to Askren*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Most of sherdoggers keep saying Askren is gonna beat Demian, cause:

1. Maia is old.
2. Elite wrestling > Elite BJJ.

Honestly i can't imagine Ben Askren getting the win. I mean, when people say great wrestlers are Demian's kryptonite, cause Woodley, Usman and Colby beat him clearly, it's not that simple. Those are a bunch of very strong guys, with really good and powerful striking. Maia had to deal with their technique, but also with their strengh, while taking care of not getting caught by a huge punch. That's not the case with Askren, whose striking is so bad, that even Maia has the edge on their feet. Yes, Maia's subpar striking is clearly better than Askren's awkard one. And the BJJ ace is even the bigger guy on this fight. And there's another big difference: Woodley, Usman and Colby used their wrestling mostly to keep the fight standing, in a more defensive way. Askren's only trick is offensive wrestling, trying to pin and hold his opponents.

So, we all know Maia's first and second (and third) goal during a fight is either to drag his opponent to the canvas or to become his backpack. Yeah, we have already agreed that powerful and skilled wrestlers would nulify him. But...that's the case with Ben "No muscles" Askren? I don't think so.

Said that:
- Do you believe Askren is gonna be able to GnP Maia for the win?
- Do you believe Askren is gonna be able to hold Maia down, in a 5 rounds fight, while avoiding to get strangled?
- Do you believe Askren is gonna sub...forget that.
Cause, as pointed before, if the fight remains on their feet, Maia has the better hands.

So please tell me, how is Ben "7 seconds" Askren gonna win this 5 rounds fight?
Thanks.

P.D.: Yeah, i know my english isn't good enough. Luckily this is not a grammar forum.

Last edited:

1. Maia is old.

Honestly i can't imagine Ben Askren getting the win. I mean, when people say great wrestlers are Demian's kryptonite, cause Woodley, Usman and Colby beat him clearly, it's not that simple. Those are a bunch of very strong guys, with really good and powerful striking. Maia had to deal with their technique, but also with their strengh, while taking care of not getting caught by a huge punch. That's not the case with Askren, whose striking is so bad, that even Maia has the edge on their feet. Yes, Maia's subpar striking is clearly better than Askren's awkard one. And the BJJ is even the bigger guy on this fight.

So, we all know Maia's first and second (and third) goal during a fight is either to drag his opponent to the canvas or to become his backpack. Yeah, we have already agreed that powerful and skilled wrestlers would nulify him. But...that's the case with Ben "No muscles" Askren? I don't think so.

Said that:
- Do you believe Askren is gonna be able to hold Maia down, in a 5 rounds fight, while avoiding to get strangled?
Cause, as pointed before, if the fight remains on their feet, Maia has the better hands.

Thanks.

P.D.: Yeah, i know my english isn't good enough. Luckily this is not a grammar forum.

Do you believe Askt

Cant imagine anyone in the UFC losing to Askren...besides overrated one dimensional Khabib.

Tbh this fight is too late for Demian Maia. I don’t think he’ll keep up the cardio to win the decision.

Lost me when you suggested Colby had powerful striking, Usman too for that matter.

I won't pretend to know what's going to happen and anyone who does is either a troll or a overly confident and presumptious douche. That being said, I can easily see Askren securing enough takedowns to win each round while neutralizing Maia's submission attempts.

1. Maia is old.

Honestly i can't imagine Ben Askren getting the win. I mean, when people say great wrestlers are Demian's kryptonite, cause Woodley, Usman and Colby beat him clearly, it's not that simple. Those are a bunch of very strong guys, with really good and powerful striking. Maia had to deal with their technique, but also with their strengh, while taking care of not getting caught by a huge punch. That's not the case with Askren, whose striking is so bad, that even Maia has the edge on their feet. Yes, Maia's subpar striking is clearly better than Askren's awkard one. And the BJJ ace is even the bigger guy on this fight.

Said that:

Thanks.

Because Maia has to sub him or he loses a decision.

Not saying he's going to win but Askren is a hell of a lot stronger than his looks imply.

It is a 5 round fight. That will play in Askrens favour a lot. In 3 rounder Maia would have much better chance.
Maia doesnt hit hard but his striking is lot better. The deciding factor would be the grappling exchanges imho. If Ben would be able to press Demian agressively and dont let him breathe he has good chance of winning. If Bens aproach will be more conservative and controled Maia can win. But I doubt that. Ben would be stupid to stand and become a punching bag to Maia.
If Ben can avoid being subbed and can control Maia he has it. And thats what will happen imho.

prolly cause the last time u saw askren he got beat.. pretty hard.

Conditioning is the only reason I have doubt for Maia in this match. Skill for skill, I think Maia takes it, but it could very well come down to conditioning.

It is a 5 round fight. That will play in Askrens favour a lot. In 3 rounder Maia would have much better chance.
Maia doesnt hit hard but his striking is lot better. The deciding factor would be the grappling exchanges imho. If Ben would be able to press Demian agressively and dont let him breathe he has good chance of winning. If Bens aproach will be more conservative and controled Maia can win. But I doubt that. Ben would be stupid to stand and become a punching bag to Maia.
If Ben can avoid being subbed and can control Maia he has it. And thats what will happen imho.

5 rounds work in Maia's favor as well in some regards. BJJ takes time. Submissions don't juat fall out of the sky, and 5 rounds gives Maia more time to make reads on Askren and set him up for a sub. It also gives him more time to gas. It's a double edged sword for Maia.

Last edited:
That's a good insight, TS, but you still can't beat time.

There are some possibilities being disregarded that could turn out, like Askren willing to exchange with Maia as wrestling against strikers is a safe game, against Maia all it takes is one mistake, and nobody likes being backpacked.

Askren could as well hit a hail mary over Maia, though we all agree Maia will have the edge that's what is: an edge.

Can't think of an example right now, but I've seen fights between two ground experts who were afraid of each other, so they end up mostly exchanging. (And the fight sucked)

You said the same thing about Masvidal...and he literally was destroyed in the most disgraceful possible fashion.
That did happen. But I would still bank on Askren winning that fight 8/10 times.

I won't pretend to know what's going to happen and anyone who does is either a troll or a overly confident and presumptious douche. That being said, I can easily see Askren securing enough takedowns to win each round while neutralizing Maia's submission attempts.

"... while neutralizing Maia's submission attempts." Yeah, i wanna see that. Even Douglas Lima got in position for some suba, Maia would capitalize.

Back