"Only 42.6% of MMA fighters were fighting in the same weight class as their opponent on fight night"

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dr. Jonathan Gelber on Deaths in Combat Sports

Dr. Jonathan Gelber, orthopedic surgeon and author, discusses boxing fatalities in his latest book, Tiger Woods’s Back and Tommy Johns’s Elbow: Injuries and Tragedies that Transformed Careers, Sports, and Society. Dr. Gelber discusses in detail the death of Duk-koo Kim, a Korean fighter who succumbed to TBI after a long and brutal fight with Ray Mancini. In the wake of Kim’s death, boxing famously shortened championship fights from 15 to 12 rounds.

As Dr. Gelber notes in his book, this change did appear to create a drop in boxing fatalities. However, the deadliest rounds in boxing remain Round 3 and Round 10, and after the rule change there appeared to be a slight increase in deaths in Round 12. Patrick Day was knocked out in Round 10. While it is easy enough to guess as to why Round 10 is dangerous, what with fatigue setting in, it is harder to say why Round 3 is so deadly. When asked, Dr. Gelber acknowledges no one really knows, but hazards a guess that perhaps Round 3 is where significant mismatches are revealed.

To that point, Dr. Gelber’s book also dives into the mismatch issues created by cutting weight. According to a study done in California, 81.9% of MMA fighters and 87.4% of boxers jumped up at least one weight class after weigh in, with 36.4% of MMA fighters and 62.8% of boxers jumping up two weight classes. Even more problematic, only 42.6% of MMA fighters and 32.9% of boxers were fighting in the same weight class as their opponent on fight night.

As a doctor with experience as a ringside physician, Dr. Gelber’s greatest concern is for the journeyman fighters, the fighters living as a perpetual opponent. Medical suspensions do not follow them as they go from one state to the next, and there is no central governing body where medical records are kept. In the pre-fight physical, the doctor has to rely on information given. “They aren’t always going to tell you the truth,” Dr. Gelber says about the fighters. The fighters may carry a book of medical records with them, but that book will not include recent knockdowns in training, for example.

While it is most often the case that deaths are the result of acute trauma, there is also the issue of Second-Impact Syndrome (SIS), where a concussed brain is struck a second time—be it minutes, days, or weeks after the initial injury—and rapid and catastrophic swelling results. Even a mild concussion can precipitate SIS.

Years ago, concussions were treated with dark room, quiet, and the absence of sleep. Today, plenty of sleep and both mental and physical stimulation are used to bring the brain back from concussion. Just how much time is needed for a brain to heal, and just how much healing is possible, are still under study.

Cont...

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/10...ear-dr-jonathan-gelber-concussion-tbi-cte-sis

Idiots like this are enemies of the sport, the kind of roadblock that could've killed MMA if they got into the ears of guys like McCain back in the day.

That stat is so stupid I shouldn't even have to explain why it's completely meaningless, it should just be obvious. Please tell me if anyone needs an explanation. No? Didn't think so.

I'm always supportive of shining a light on the dangers of head trauma, but I'm slightly skeptical of the weight mismatch on fight night having a significant impact on the likelihood of the smaller man being injured, especially in the UFC where IV rehydration is not allowed. I'm of the opinion that extreme weight cutting is just as likely to be detrimental as it is beneficial. Guys cutting massive amounts of weight are probably as likely to harm themselves as their opponents. I'd really like to see any available data on fight night weights of both fighters involved in fights where one man was seriously injured or killed.

giphy.gif

ONE Championship is changing the game. The rest will soon follow.

Eliminate weight classes.
Let us see who the real best fighter is !

have fighters weigh in 2 weeks then 3 days before the fight and on the day of the fight would solve that. or just say it's a dangerous sport and let it go.

And obviously most of it comes at 155/170. Dana really is a moron for not making 165...

Imagine how different some careers would've gone if guys like Romero fought at their actual weight class.

Also: Israel Adesanya is one of the best champions ATM for the fact that he's smaller than almost anyone he faces alone.

I remember having to weigh in with the gi on right before the match. Have fighters weigh in during the pre-fight check in. If they miss weight by more then a pound their purse goes bye bye.

It never ceases to amaze me that it's 2019 and we still employ this archaic practice of dehydrating to near death 24 hours prior to a cage fight.

Retarded

ONE Championship is changing the game.
So they claim, but there's no neutral governing body to corroborate that organization's claims:

During an interview with The Body Lock’s John Hyon Ko, former ONE lightweight and current ONE featherweight champion Martin Nguyen said, “I always thought it was mandatory to at least test for any anabolics, testosterone, TRT – just standard testing – in ONE Championship, until I found out that they really don’t test at all.”

In the now unavailable comment (as Chope deleted the original post), Sityodtong wrote, “On a related note, WADA has a network of certified WADA labs. Stay tuned for a big announcement as we officially roll out WADA testing through their labs. (We have been doing test runs since late last year).”

In a statement to The Body Lock, WADA Manager of Media Relations and Communications Maggie Durand wrote, “We were recently made aware of these claims.”

Durand also pointed out that “ONE Championship was not and is not a WADA Code Signatory – therefore they do not fall under our remit.

https://thebodylockmma.com/one-cham...istances-itself-from-one-championship-claims/

And for all we know they're only doing hydration tests for non-Asian fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back