It's time to stop the stupid myth that Tony Ferguson is hittable, or has a bad striking defense.

Fesaine

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After rewatching the fight, I'm very impressed with tony head movement and footwork.he was slipping, pulling back/leaning and rolling on pretty every Cerrone punches. even cerrone jab wasn't landing clean.

so my question is why do people assume tony is hittable even after the cowboy fight? Even before the cowboy fight, he has shown that he as good head movement and overall striking defense. He looks hittable but in reality, he was not. Ferguson always likes to lean on punches like till, but more unorthodox. I think the best example is when he fought Kevin lee, people thought that lee was out striking tony but what they didn't catch is that tony roll and lean on a lot of Kevin lee strikes.

And tony has like 65% striking defense, that's insane consider how many fight has and how many strikes he beat. Stats don't tell the whole story but stats also don't lie. Especially when you're a striker

When you face the level of competition that Ferguson has you’re gonna take a few.

Fights where he gets dropped come to mind but I don’t think he has bad defense I just think his unorthodox style has advantages and disadvantages.

He also has this sweet roll in his back pocket if he ever gets in trouble..

giphy.gif

He relies on toughness and a good chin more than anything. Without a strong chin, he would have had 10 KO losses.

Khabib gets high praise on here for rarely getting hit, but these two aren't even that far off in terms of striking defense. Strikes absorbed per minute is going to be higher for Ferguson because he doesn't grapple as much as Khabib

upload_2019-10-21_20-23-5.png
upload_2019-10-21_20-23-24.png

He relies on toughness and a good chin more than anything. Without a strong chin, he would have had 10 KO losses.
Read the damn post, or go watch his fight. because you're hugely misinformed if you believe that tony only relies on his chin and toughness. I expected more from a 2004 account.

I don't think his striking defense will make a difference against Khabib.

It's his takedown defense that will be the problem.

He is more hittable than other fighters, but that is a consequence of the pace he sets. When you constantly move forward and throw strikes you are just going to be more of a target.

Read the damn post, or go watch his fight. because you're hugely misinformed if you believe that tony only relies on his chin and toughness. I expected more from a 2004 account.
Where did I say "only"? I wrote that he relies on toughness and chin MORE THAN anything else. Somebody pointed out that his recovery is great too, which is true.

I'm a big Tony fan but cmon, he's a very good pressure fighter with a wild complementary style but his defense is very questionable. Mainly when he closes the distance, from a distance yeah he knows how to maneuver to avoid predictable kicks and the like, up close he leaves himself open like hell. He probably has the best recovery in the division with a very good chin to boot, so he has narrowly avoided some shitty positions.

There's no doubt Tony is hittable, you just have to be willing to eat an elbow to land, which most guys are either too tired or cautious to do. More a result of his great pace, than of his actual technical defense.

I mean a fresh Kevin lee dropped him, Pettis dropped him, wasn't like they were throwing haymakers. Tony just got caught because he either wasn't setting up his kicks, or he was putting too much into his strikes leaving himself open.

Who has a 155lbs Pettis dropped with a punch?
Who has Kevin lee dropped with a punch at 155lbs?
Genuinely can't remember?

Last edited:
I think it’s interesting that he doesn’t spar as well. It almost seems like it gives him more freedom to just go in there and react and use his instincts and creativity instead of planning what he wants to do.

I love it

Where did I say "only"? I wrote that he relies on toughness and chin MORE THAN anything else. Somebody pointed out that his recovery is great too, which is true.
Again what you said is false. tony does have a great chin but he doesn't relies on his chin more than his defense.

He also has this sweet roll in his back pocket if he ever gets in trouble..

giphy.gif
More fighters should do this. They think it's some goofy Ferguson shit but it completely resets the action.

He has the 2nd best striking defence in the top 10 numbers don't lie

Back