DC Believes Reyes' Size Is A Threat To Jones

datfnguy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Reyes is 6'4" with a 77" Reach, but isn't Gus 6'5" with a 79" reach?

At the end of the day it' gonna come down to what it always does. Jones has exceptional fight IQ and is really good at remaining calm and applying whatever adjustments his corner suggests.

I'll keep my money in my pocket for this one.

Not sure who I would put my money on, but I actually hope that whoever beats Jones is young enough to rain for a few years.

At the end of the day it' gonna come down to what it always does. Jones has exceptional fight IQ and is really good at remaining calm and applying whatever adjustments his corner suggests.

I'll keep my money in my pocket for this one.

Not sure who I would put my money on, but I actually hope that whoever beats Jones is young enough to rain for a few years.

DC just bitter....as usual.

tenor.gif

The old Gus is a different animal than the current version

It's like comparing the old Froot Loops to the new shitty version

MBtXvtYWNL.png

Last edited:
Give Reyes a picto or two and it might be interesting.

It might be. Jones was clearly troubled by Gus's length in the first fight, but it didn't seem to be an issue at all in the rematch. However, who knows how much Gus had left in the tank at that point.

Last edited:

This is a weird comment. Gus gave Jones a very stiff challenge, and it isn't incredible to think his size played a part in that. The argument is not that size alone will defeat Jon. but that size contributes to a skillset and strategy that could defeat Jones. Seems like an obvious observation by DC and not controversial at all.

Just because Jones ended up beating Gus doesn't mean he didn't have trouble or that a taller fighter in the future won't either. Jones barely won the first fight. It wasn't a wash. There's a difference between "have some trouble" and "will definitely lose".

Reyes looked a weightclass bigger than Anthony Smith in the post fight show.

This is a weird comment. Gus gave Jones a very stiff challenge, and it isn't incredible to think his size played a part in that. The argument is not that size alone will defeat Jon. but that size contributes to a skillset and strategy that could defeat Jones. Seems like an obvious observation by DC and not controversial at all.
Lol this. Some of you guys seem to struggle real hard so th critical thinking. Gus gave Jones his hardest fight until maybe Santos. Very silly way to undermine your own point TS

Gus gave Jones a tough fight in a fight everyone admitted Jones didn't train for. Gus wasn't shorter in the rematch.
I'll put my money on the first fighter I believe is faster or have overall just as good fight IQ as Jones. Hight aside I think Reyes has the better striking or at least hands, but we already saw in the Khabib/ Conor fight what the fear of a serious takedown game does to good striking. I though Santos had the best chance and I think he has the best chance in a rematch.

Reyez nearly lost to Ozedemier. The same dude that got Choked Out by an MW journeyman! <36>
We'll never see peak Jones ever again...... Why? Because there is no one to bring the best out of him... DC 2 and Gus 2 couldn't even do it...... The only reason why Gus 1 was a problem was that Jones was partying and barely taking the fight seriously.... and DC 1 was just that it was Jones's 1st encounter with DC but it still wasn't that close.....

Just because Jones ended up beating Gus doesn't mean he didn't have trouble or that a taller fighter in the future won't either. Jones barely won the first fight. It wasn't a wash. There's a difference between "have some trouble" and "will definitely lose".

Way too nuanced a concept for the average sherdork.

It might be. Jones was clearly troubled by Gus's length in the first fight, but it didn't seem to be an issue at all in the rematch. However, who knows how much Gus had left in the tank at that point.

Judging by his physique going into the rematch ... not much.

U fat keyboard warrior beta biitch

you will die a meaningless existence and wont accomplish a fraction of what this man has overcome Natty Goat

<{vega}>

I’m confused, there’s no mention of Costa in your post...

219_Paulo_Costa.0.jpg

I think Gus 1 was incredibly formative for Jones. Jones fought tall and lanky guys on his rise up, but nothing quite like Gus. Gus had the hands, footwork, and TDD to cause legit problems for Jones. Whether Jones trained appropriately or not, Jones had issues.

However, Jones made the changes in the second fight. Hampered Gus' movement with kicks, utilized the clinch more, feinted TDs, kept his distance, and let Gus do the chasing. So, in theory, Jones has an answer.

What can Reyes do to succeed? Circle, cut-off, and use technical striking. He'd have to pressure, but he'd also gotta be wary of the clinch, and his lead leg among other things like the the TDs. Reyes doesn't have the speed or volume of Gus, but he definitely hits harder and uses kicks more.

He's not as unpredictable or explosive as Walker, so he might not give Jones too much to think about, which may be an issue because Jon usually out thinks and outworks his opponents, and I believe fighters have to prepare for the mind and intangibles of Jones, not just what they see on first impression.

For example, Glover was a very heavy hitter. Jon hadn't fought one of those in awhile at the time. Jon used the clinch to lock up Glover's arm to hyperextend it. All of Glover's power shots did little damage to Jones as he worn on and beat Glover up in the phone booth. It was just one of those things that became a factor early on, but didn't pay off until later in the rounds. Kinda like investing in the body, not just to tire out the opponent, but to condition their responses so that an attack high while feinted low lands on the face.

This is what Reyes and other contenders have to prepare for.

Back