Jimi Manuwa is a very underrated lhw imo

Africa5876

The Last GenderBender (Usada approved)
Banned
Reaction score
Manuwa wasn't the greatest fighter in the world but you have to give the guy some credit for what he did do throughout his career. Near the end of his career he was on the receiving end of some terrible knockouts so people forget that he had a great career before all the knockouts and stuff

Jimi Manuwa was a very respectable lhw with great ko power who was willing to slug it out with the top guys in the division, his left hand was fucking lethal and Had the power to end the fight.

He didn't always win but the people he lost to were were guys who ended up fighting for the title (aside from rakic), he has the unfortunate distinction of being the almost guy in the lhw division, a gatekeeper.

It sucks manuwa had to go out the way he did getting knocked out cold by rakic but that's just generally what happens when brawlers who rely on their chins get older. His knockouts of Osp and Corey Anderson are incredible, especially when he knocked out Osp. Manuwa only lost to the elite of the elite, and he smashed everyone else including some legit guys like Corey and Osp.

I hope Manuwa saved his money and is living a happy life in retirement.
God bless Manuwa!

I can't recall many people describing Manuwa anything less than you are in you post. I don't think that he was generally underrated.

He went from Ryan Jimmo to fight the best version of Gustafsson in his 4th UFC fight. That was a mistake in hindsight for him.

The trifecta of Manuwa, Rockhold, and Chris never fail to amuse me

Those three should compete in a free-for-all Royal Rumble and see who gets KO'd by a jab first

He started MMA at 28 years old as well. Super exciting fighter.

He was fun to watch, always brought it, the Santos fight was awesome as were the OSP and Corey KOs, but he wasn't underrated. He was just a decent fighter at best. He went 6-6 in the UFC (and he wasn't some past legend in the twilight here - these were some of his best years) and got brutally knocked out stiff in damn near every loss. Half his wins were against mediocre and/or washed up fighters too (Kingsbury, Diabates, Jimmo)

he didn't help himself by trying to setup a fight with David Haye either lol, before the Oezdemir loss.

Manuwa is a fucking warlord.

Manuwa hits like a truck and wouldn't be someone you'd want to fuck with period but being at the top level isn't an easy thing to stay at esp. in a division where Jones and Cormier were the top dogs. Him, Gus and Latifi, all trained together and started losing so I don't know if it's their gym that wasn't keeping them moving forward but it is a coincidence all 3 kind of jumped ship at the same time.

His wins over OSP and Beastin 25/8 were very impressive. As naturally heavy-handed as Rumble or very close to it, it seemed a lot of his opponents were already intimidated by his power before the knockout happened.

Most of his losses highlighted his biggest weakness however and that was his chin. He didn't have a good enough chin to trade or take one to give one and his lack of ground game often gave his opponents more options in a fight.

If he'd got into the game earlier, he could have become a bigger name. I would like to have seen him against Shogun, Rampage, Machida and Wanderlei.

There is no shame in losing to a next world champ...

4MLeSDe.gif

He is powerful but he is very limited. If he doesn't knock you out within the first, he most likely doesn't win.

Back