Why Thiago Santos is actually one of the best fighters in MMA

RVCA

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Santos at 185 obviously has a few KO losses to guys who aren't exactly power punchers. This is why people were quick to write him off against Blachowicz and Jones

Unlike Rockhold and Weidman (whose chins are bad at any weight class), Santos proved that his chin issues were entirely the product of terrible weight cuts, as he ate bombs from power puncher Manuwa that would've folded most 205ers, yet he didn't even get dropped once.

InnocentSpectacularLangur-size_restricted.gif

Santos always had the skill (elite kicker, good counter boxing, hard to control on the ground) and rare blend of explosiveness + cardio to be elite, but his chin was always holding him back. I knew that he'd be the toughest Jones challenger in a while because I saw that his durability issues had been fixed by fighting at his natural weight class.

The shots that put him down at 185 would barely even faze him at 205.

If you needed a reminder on how powerful Manuwa's left hook is:

giphy.gif

I think Thiago would make easy work of Reyes, Walker, and Rakic tbh. Walker and Rakic have flimsy chins and Reyes is not nearly as refined of a striker as Santos.

Stopped reading at "has a few KO losses"

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Seriously though, I like the guy, hes fun and everything, but he's really not one of the best fighters in MMA.

Stopped reading at "has a few KO losses"

<JonesDXSuckIt>
There are a lot of great fighters with multiple KO losses in boxing and MMA, and as I explained in the OP, Thiago's were the result of extreme weight cutting that sapped all fluid from his brain. He actually has a great chin when he's fighting at his natural weight class.

There are a lot of great fighters with multiple KO losses in boxing and MMA, and as I explained in the OP, Thiago's were the result of extreme weight cutting that sapped all fluid from his brain. He actually has a great chin when he's fighting at his natural weight class.

Bro I was just messing with you... Having said that, he's no Lyoto when it comes to avoiding shots, and chins aren't known to improve with time...

Again, I like the guy, but he's always going to be a gatekeeper. A solid one, but that's this lot in the fight game.

Bro I was just messing with you... Having said that, he's no Lyoto when it comes to avoiding shots, and chins aren't known to improve with time...

Again, I like the guy, but he's always going to be a gatekeeper. A solid one, but that's this lot in the fight game.
I replied to your first comment before you edited in the last bit lol

We can agree to disagree, I respect your opinion though. Everyone at LHW is going to be a gatekeeper to Jones though haha, I think Thiago would be champion otherwise.

I replied to your first comment before you edited in the last bit lol

We can agree to disagree, I respect your opinion though. Everyone at LHW is going to be a gatekeeper to Jones though, I think Thiago would be champion otherwise.
That's a big maybe in one of the shallowest talent pools we've seen in the at LHW since Pride had all the top guys.

I think he would have been way more suited to Pride, and the ring format. He's not good enough at manoeuvring himself in the clinch because he's top heavy, and tends to end up against the cage a lot. He'd also benefit strongly from the rule set.

Last edited:
That's a big maybe in one of the shallowest talent pools we've seen in the at LHW since Pride had all the top guys.

I think he would have been way more suited to Pride, and the ring format. He's not good enough at manoeuvring himself in the clinch because he's top heavy, and tends to end up against the cage a lot. He'd benefit strongly from the rule set.
I think LHW is actually a really underrated division, I've been saying it long before top 185ers like Luke and Chris moved up and got slept

Now we've got a bunch of young, talented contenders who have the length and size to match Jones.

I think LHW is actually a really underrated division, I've been saying it long before top 185ers like Luke and Chris moved up and got slept

There's a shitload of talent in the division, and I think that people are starting to realize that Santos and Smith are elite there because they're much better suited to 205 than 185.

Now we've got a bunch of young, talented contenders who have the length and size to match Jones.

Aye, it's getting interesting again...

I honestly believe Johnny Walker is the chosen one.

Agreed

But I wouldn't expect many to see this

Thiago has a very interesting and well rounded skillset and is a straight up warrior to boot. I really enjoy his movement, timing and elite kicking game combined with his capoeira in particular

He's a very tough fight for absolutely everyone in the division

Now whether he comes back the same righter after double knee surgery remains to be seen

He was. Not anymore now that he only has 1 knee.

He stated fighting smarter which may be a bigger factor. He went from kamikaze to something a bit more like Romero. He's much better at choosing his moments to explode and gets in and out. I think Blachowisczcz is someone he would have lost to a couple years ago from a technical and strategic shortcomings, but that ended up being an awesome win.

He's LHW good

That's not the same as MMA good

Need to see what he looks like in a fight that goes rounds, but he's clearly stepped up his game since he was on the regional circuit.

LHW has finally gotten some fresh, promising talent recently. Walker, Reyes, Smith, Volkan, Santos, Rakic

For like 5yrs it was just Bones/DC/Rumble/Gus and then a scrapheap of mediocrity and shit

Santos at 185 obviously has a few KO losses to guys who aren't exactly power punchers. This is why people were quick to write him off against Blachowicz and Jones

Unlike Rockhold and Weidman (whose chins are bad at any weight class), Santos proved that his chin issues were entirely the product of terrible weight cuts, as he ate bombs from power puncher Manuwa that would've folded most 205ers, yet he didn't even get dropped once.

InnocentSpectacularLangur-size_restricted.gif

Santos always had the skill (elite kicker, good counter boxing, hard to control on the ground) and rare blend of explosiveness + cardio to be elite, but his chin was always holding him back. I knew that he'd be the toughest Jones challenger in a while because I saw that his durability issues had been fixed by fighting at his natural weight class.

The shots that put him down at 185 would barely even faze him at 205.

If you needed a reminder on how powerful Manuwa's left hook is:

giphy.gif

I think Thiago would make easy work of Reyes, Walker, and Rakic tbh. Walker and Rakic have flimsy chins and Reyes is not nearly as refined of a striker as Santos.
He fought at WW before MW

Back