Weili Zhang ... or ... Zhang Weili ??

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have seen this great woman competitor's name both forwards and backwards … but I don't know which orientation is correct.

As the old, great, boxing announcer Jimmy Lennon Sr. said, decades ago, when asked why he meticulously rehearsed the correct pronunciation of each fighter's name, the Senior fight announcer responded, "Every man has the right to the dignity of his own name."

The same is obviously true for women in our modern age.

I am a huge fan of this blossoming MMA female superstar, and I would like to display her name correctly, if possible. Does anyone know how this woman's name is properly oriented, as well as the proper pronunciation?

I would be grateful for any feedback + references cited, if possible.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, in many East Asian countries the family name is said first.

images

last name first...

believe the language is read right to left as well..

I call her Wanderweili Zhang, and that only works if I go with the Weili first.

It's high praise.

If we were in China we'd say Zhang Weili and in the West we're more likely to say Weili Zhang. Zhang, her family name, is pronounced almost like John, but with an "ng" at the end. Don't even worry about the tones.

Thanks for those that provided perspective and sincere feedback.

In china the last name is written first. There is a focus on the collective rather than the individual.

Even when they write addresses, they would write them from largest to smallest; the opposite way we would write ours in the states.

Weili Zhang ... or ... Zhang Weili ??

giphy.gif
Does it matter? I can't pronounce it when I read it anyway...

Last edited:
Chinese say it last name then given name. So Zhang Weilei is the proper way to say it.

Like Yao Ming. Yao is his last name.

In communist china, individuals' names mean nothing. You only need to know the greatest country in the world is China, and the greatest leader is Winnie the Pooh

Back